• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevongraf

Reaction score
Anyone have any military/field watch recommendations that look similar to this Seagull 1963 Chinese Airforce reprint other than Timex field watches? I bought it for about $400 from this site. The quality was pretty poor - one of the pieces popped off within a couple months. I sent it back and the replacement they sent me stopped running after another few weeks. I got a refund and now I'm back in the watch market. Don't want to spend more than $500 if possible for this as it'll be an everyday watch for me and I don't work in a formal setting. I like how this one could be dressed up a little but was still quite casual. This isn't a great pic, but it was the only real pic I had of this watch and I wanted to stick to your rule of not posting stock photos. This is my first post on Styleforum - good times!

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I may be the only person in the world that doesn't really care for the Lange 1 moonphase.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My favorite Lange 1 is also the Lange 1 Moonphase. However, I also love the stark beauty of the Lange 1. Yes, it is a bit cold, and a bit sterile, but I think that the coldness is greatly exacerbated in photos. In real life I find it to shimmer like a jewel, and really have much more character.
The odd thing about the watch is that it is asymmetrical in the most symmetrical way possible. Sorry for the terrible photo, but this one always springs to mind.

The whole entire watch is built on a grid. This is why I think that it may appear to be a bit contrived. I can see some wanting a bit more whimsy with their asymmetry.

the pictures do not do it justice. the way the watch shimmers irl is unreal.

the different textures of the dials subdials, the various shaped and colored hands, the fantastically framed big date that seems to inevitably draw the eyes attention, the large sloped ALS letters at the head, the touch of blue and red on the dial, the pushers and crown, the even ring of cities.... its a gem. and when you look at it head on, it seems as if there is no crystal there and you could reach out and touch the dial.

not to mention, the leather strap is so substantial and beautifully crafted, and the weight of the watch has enough heft to make you feel like you are holding something serious, but not too heavy to be burdensome.

i love this watch, and its not even mine.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
very well said Dino....this is EXACTLY what i was thinking and trying to figure out how to put into words...so..ill just say ditto.
wink.gif

Oh, so when I say it, it doesn't count? Wanker.

*recalls irony of the "Clagmire" scandal...*

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is not to love about the Lange 1 Mondphase! Blasphemer!

My grail, fo sho.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Oh, so when I say it, it doesn't count?  Wanker.

*recalls irony of the "Clagmire" scandal...*

well, i agreed with your post until you said
..and yet. This is the most pleasing Lange 1 I've ever seen. Maybe it's all the fuss of the text around the dial that somehow evens out the asymmetric subdials.

Ive had a hardon for the silvery dial L1. :inlove:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I much prefer the look of the luna mundi or perpetual in the Lange 1 family, or the GO Lunar PM, as far as moonphases are concerned. If the Lange 1 moonphase had a similar layout as the luna mundi or perpetual, I'd love it. It just doesn't do much for me as a moon phase in the Lange 1 family.

Just be happy, my dislike of it means there is one more out there in the world for you to go hunt down.

PS: I absolutely adore the timezone.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is not to love about the Lange 1 Mondphase! Blasphemer!

My grail, fo sho.

love. blue & gray/silver :drool:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Keep in mind, I'm also the guy who likes diaphragm crowns on vintage watches, so what do I know.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize for continuing to seek group therapy, but which of these color schemes do you prefer and why?

Last edited:

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I apologize for continuing to seek group therapy, but which of these color schemes do you prefer and why?

I'm getting a vibe that you're relatively new to watches, and would like to say that picking a colour scheme via consensus is not a good idea. This is not the same as asking for opinions re: various watches.

If you lack confidence in your own taste then hold off the purchase for a while longer - they will still make them 6 months from now.

Or do what I do - save several images of "candidate" watches into a single folder and use them as your desktop background... set it so that the images change every 10 minutes or so, i.e. slideshow mode... within a week you will know which ones you prefer, and which ones you have grown tired of.

Last edited:

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're looking to back up your own choice with the opinions of others? Bad idea, just go with what you want.

I like all three for different reasons. Just curious what others see.

Or do what I do - save several images of "candidate" watches into a single folder and use them as your desktop background... set it so that the images change every 10 minutes or so, i.e. slideshow mode... within a week you will know which ones you prefer, and which ones you have grown tired of.

That's a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics