The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

NOVA TWAT MEET UP?

that includes you stitchy

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

excellent! :lol:

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:nodding:

glad you appreciated my point of view. i would not say you are off base, but what one should expect and what is reality are two very different things.

regarding boutiques v places like tourneau, its actually the independent places that often have better staff. they are smaller operations, often only one, two or maybe three locations, the owners are often on staff and they can be more particular with who they employ and how they are acting and being more proactive with issues that may arise and training.

with boutiques that are part of an organization of hundreds or even thousands of employees, the dilution from owner to VP to managing directors to hiring directors, to on-site mangers.... can often lead to an average lesser quality of sales staff. now, i have been to boutiques that have absolutely fantastic and super knowledgable sales people, but also places that have a not so great staff. its more of a hit or miss imo.

as a sidebar, in general, be wary of places that are primarily jewelry stores and only carry watches because they need to look a certain way. i find those places usually have the least knowledgable watch sales staff on average, even if they are as nice as can be.

as far as the guys request, i think it was perfectly reasonable for that type of customer to ask for that service, and it should have been granted. sadly, there seems to have been an unfortunate dynamic in the way he asked, and the person he happened upon.

id be glad to. :)

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1,000 Well said Stitchy. As someone that worked in sales years ago I couldn't have said it better myself! [​IMG]
    Frills you should contact Patek and offer to sell them your revolutionary idea for the next complication they should release. All kidding aside they are beautiful !!!

I really liked the IWC Ingenuir ...but the AMG version didn't do much for me.
    Buy a new Submariner . Its a great watch, and if you don't specifically need a dress watch its is a perfect watch for almost every occasion. Hell, if you have to you can get away with it with a sport jacket or even a suit (although then I'd prefer a dress watch).

I'm not always practical, especially when watches are the issue. That being said, do youself and your fiance a favor, just because the budget is $10,000 doesn't mean you should spend $10,000. Not sure how young, or old, or established you guys are, but there may be other things you will want or need. The Rolex can do everything you want it to do you its well under $10,000. There will be time to get other more expensive watches later on. If you guys are old or simply loaded, then completely disregard what I've said and blow then entire budget!

5. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Im partial to the sagely advice just above. I prefer the older subs with the smaller lug profile. You can get one around 5k. Save the rest or get your wife something else and look like a stud [​IMG]

6. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I agree with Dino and Cylon - JLC Deepsea Chrono! :)

7. in stitches

thanks! much appreciated.

i would wear a sub with a suit and tie. dont even care.

alos, i have an appointment tomorrow to look at a sub from a gent looking to sell. maybe i can work a deal with the groom to be!

8. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Quick anecdote re: customer service...

I was once in a local AD's shop looking at some watches when I heard my sales lady being paged overhead.

This is a pretty big place-- they've got JLC, Vacheron, Panerai, Tag, FP Journe, etc.....lots of jewelry, too. (No Rolex, interestingly).

Anyway, we were looking at ...oh Piaget! They've also got Piaget, and I was checking out one of those ultra-thin beauties, right? White gold, about 38mm. Black croc strap...it was perfect...but I digress.

So I've maybe already taken 10 minutes of her time, and it's understood that I'm not really buying on this particular day, but she's a really nice lady, good salesperson. Used to be with another national retail jewelry outfit. I had bought my 210 from her about a year before this.

Anyway, she had ignored that initial page, because she said was "already with a customer" (me.)

Sincere or not, it did make me feel ...valued.....if that's not overstating it.

After about another minute goes by, I hear her paged again. This time, she apologized profusely, but said she better excuse herself for a moment and see what's going on.

I told her no big deal, I should be going anyway. Thanked her for her time.

So she takes a couple steps towards the service counter, and out of my peripheral vision, I see a guy walking towards us.

Then I hear my lady say, in mock disgust, "Oh NO....not this guy again!" Real sarcastically.

This fairly tall dude walks up to us-- dark hair, cut very short-- dressed quite casual, shorts and a t-shirt-- even wearing flip-flops if I recall correctly.

He says that he's sorry for interrupting, didn't mean to be rude.

He sticks out his hand to shake, and introduces himself..."Hi, I'm Matt."

It's Matt Schaub, quarterback of the Houston Texans.

I said hello, nice to meet you.

Super-nice guy. He gave the lady a big hug, asked about her family.

She asked him about how his foot was doing (he had one of those Lisfranc (sp?) injuries, and he said the rehab was going well.

So we just kind of all did the small talk thing for a bit....and then I excused myself. "Have a great day".

Sales lady tells me thanks for coming in, see you next time. And I head on out.

All in all, a pretty cool experience.

I can only assume that Schaub does a good bit of business in there. And if I had a bunch of NFL money, I probably would too.

Bastard probably bought the Altiplano that I wanted.

TRUE STORY, BRO.

9. Coldcava

Coldcava Senior member

Not to be the voice of caution here.. But there is a pretty significant superstition over gifts of watches out there. Not that anyone is superstitious.

I happen to live in a household where neither watches nor shoes can be gifted. (Run out of time / walk out on you - are the gists of those superstitions.)

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

^ interesting, the only rule I heard was the one about not buying watches for your wife...

11. in stitches

keith - awesome story. very cool.

also, its actually not so uncommon for a store to have many or almost all the major brands, but not rolex. they are pretty particular about who they let have the line (sometimes for better sometimes for worse), often more particular than most brands. and they also usually try not to flood the area. if there is one AD close by, even a crappy little place with not much else there, they will usually let that AD keep the territory, unless they mess up or cant keep up with the volume they need to.

coldcava - that is interesting, because for many, there is a specific custom to give the groom to a be, a nice watch. no hate, but i prefer that custom. both personally and professionally. :)

12. Flake

Flake Senior member

Glad my wife never heard that about gifting watches! She's given me several. ( yes, she's awesome)

13. in stitches

wait, is frilly your wife? I KEED I KEED!

14. Concub1ne

Concub1ne Senior member

This is excellent advice. Especially the last part.

A baller buying a tasteful watch? Good one.

15. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Thoughts on either a Habring2 Time Only (36mm) silver dial, silver hands for $3600 (on the left, except no jumping seconds and no stop button).

[​IMG]

OR

A vintage sterling silver, yellow gold hands Vacheron (35mm) for $2900.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.