1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Thanks, guys, Good info. I imagine their target audience are the same people that walk in and just buy RLPL OTR every season. They ask the SA what is new, and they kop. I guess they figured they could offer them cool watches too and they would bite. I would imagine many did. I just wonder if that is enough to keep it worthwhile.

Regardless, I am happy that they at least tried to make a real watch, as opposed to just selling the licensing rights and having super crappy fashion watches with the RL name slapped on. Good on them for trying to do it right. I hope they figure it out.

2. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

How hard is it to remove the steel band off a Rolex Submariner and substitute a leather band?

3. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

They are just being unrealistic in how strong their name is for something like this... I seriously like the watches looks, but there is just no way I could bring myself to buy one over a JLC or Blancpain or whatever.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, you may be right about their target audience. It will be interesting to see if they can make it work and build a real customer base for their watches, or if they will be will only appeal to people that don't know watches but know RL and RLPL.

If you are not familiar with how to do it, bring it to a respected watch shop or Rolex dealer and ask them to do it so you don't scrape the hell out of the case and lugs trying to do it.
    I just can't get into the look of their watches. I know that with clothing they often go for a vintage look/feel and perhaps that is what they are going for with their watches, but it just doesn't work for me. IMHO, with clothing its easier for a company to work with a vintage look or design and modernize it and make it their own. However, it seems artificial to make watches that have a very vintage look when RL has no history in the world of watches. Even when companies like VC, Cartier, or BP make somewhat vintage designs today, they modernize them to make them relevant for today's watch buyers, and IMHO RL didn't do that. Still, I think pricing is a big barrier for them, especially when one can buy watches from JLC, BP, Piaget etc in the same price range.

1 person likes this.
  5. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Agree with everyone about RL watches. They seem to be well made, but they're playing in a ballpark filled with legitimate allstars on every base. (forgive the indulgent sports analogy)

Personally, I kind of shudder to think about someone shelling out as much as RL charges for watch, knowing the other incredible watches that person could have instead. But hey, it's their money.

1 person likes this.
  6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Well my fiancé wrapped this up for Christmas and said I should wear it early. I resisted but said I would go get some links taken out today and if she wanted me to wear it this month and next before the 31st I'd only wear it to special occasions. Also she did not engrave the back but said we could always buy another band and engrave it. Anyway, onto pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the iPhone 4S quality and stained office carpeting. I will work on some dslr images in the coming weeks.

Also great watch love everyone and dddrees...you mentioned a red sub, mind sharing with us?!?

3 people like this.
  7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

JB, you have been so patient waiting for that! Congratulations, I know it will bring you much happiness :).

8. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Family day out at the races, great time (no pun intended)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. robw

robw Senior member

REALLY like the blue black bezel. If I wasn't set with Rolexes that would be on my list.

Congratulations and enjoy.

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i think it will take a lot of time to build a real base, and possibly a different approach. i actually think a company starting fresh, like a chronoswiss, has a better chance at building such a base, than RL, a brand with so many pre-existing associations along with name. best of luck to them.

--

NEW ROLLIW LOOKS GREAT, JB! :slayer:

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Looks great! Enjoy it. If I eventually add another Rolex to my collection there is a very strong likelihood it will be a black & blue GMT2. Congrats again it looks fantastic!

Spot on Stitchy! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I think RL could do well, but they need to realize they are nobodies in watches. Chronoswiss could probably do pretty well if they weren't just so hideous.

13. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Sweet pics, jbarwick.....congrats, man.

Haven't seen a lot of wrist shots of that one. Really nice.

And cleav, your photos have me contemplating a darker strap for my 210....that's a sharp look.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

I'm not sure if I'd say Chronoswiss is hideous. However, I've always found them over stylized and generally unappealing.

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Boom congratulations jbarwick!!!!!!!!

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

16. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Thanks for the love everyone. With a link taken out the bracelet fits a little better but there is still some movement I will have to get used to. I wonder why Rolex hasn't brought the Sub style micro adjustments to all the oyster bracelets? I understand why the Sub has it for diving functionality but it is a useful thing to have on a bracelet. I assume Dino may know this answer ;)

17. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

No problem, I've shared before so there maybe some who have gotten a bit tired of seeing this old thing. But here we go.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

[​IMG]

1680 Love.

1 person likes this.
  19. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Nice.

20. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Beautiful Subs dddrees and Hayward! My fiance loves the look so I'd assume we may "jointly" own one at some point. She is a Rolex girl due to her family but I am trying to branch her out and Cartier is another company that tickles her fancy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.