The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

also need to add....the best boutique service IMHO is the beverly hills panerai boutique. the staff there is absolutely unreal. Chad was managing it when i was on my buying spree...He would open early or stay late for the collectors to come hang out. A very knowledgeable, helpful, and polite fella. I really hope he's still there. If anyone happens to drop in there, look for that bald fella and tell him hello. :slayer:

2. Coldcava

Coldcava Senior member

One of the themes in this recent thread activity is the existence of a 'relationship' between a customer and a retailer/manufacturer. Personally, I will pass on some items I want in order to buy more/similar items from a retailer I have a relationship with. I am not let down by these people.

The AD's are in the best position to build these relationships. Unfortunately the manufacturers are not. If I was in the corporate offices of Lange and trying to come up with a plan to build relationships with my customers that are reflected down at any level of my distribution chain, I could see that being a challenge. Fortunately that's not my job. My job (in the watch discussion) is the role of a consumer, and I would go about building a relationship with and AD as many of you have.

if theres a lesson learned here it stems frim the fact that it was only after this customer went outside his existing relationships that he was rebuffed.

Last edited: May 1, 2013

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Looks like I will be doing more research into which specific Rolex Sub I would like.

Also DerekS, I am in Nashville as well. Any specific stores you recommend? I live in Green Hills so King Jewelers is right there for Rolex but anywhere else? I have only lived here a year.

Also what are G&Gs...I feel like I should know this but don't :(

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

no shit?? VERY cool! always nice to meet a neighbor. King Jewlers is a great AD, but they dont carry Rolex. To my knowledge, theres only 1 AD for rolex in the middle TN area and thats Bell Jewelers in Murfreesboro. A few years ago, all the rolex ADs were dropped by rolex here in nashville.

theres a couple places here that i trust for used rolex...which is typically how i buy.

**G&Gs are Gaziano & Girling shoes. highly recommended if youre a shoe guy.

5. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Gaziano & Girling -- high end shoe maker. Search for them you will not be disappointed, but your bank account may be [​IMG]

rnguy001 -- you are in NOVA?

6. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

:lol:

7. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Hi Cylon - yup right now in Arlington. Be moving just across the American Legion Bridge come November..

Jbarwick - just a thought, but Panerai make great wedding gifts ;) Have you ever considered one?

I've heard nothing but great things about the BH boutique and Chad in particular..

Yeah, I hate to admit it but a big part of me agrees with you. If you're spending that much on the highest tier watch brands (not to mention multiple items from said brand, though the salesman may not have known that..), then I'd like to think you're buying more than just a timepiece. I would expect their customer service to match the level of craftsmanship of their watches That being said, it doesn't mean customers necessarily get a free pass to get whatever they want (not insinuating that this particular customer would or did..)

There are so many times I've been treated so well by AD's (mainly because I'm never pushy, I'm genuinely passionate about watches and respect the salespeople's time..), and I feel actual guilt when I can't buy from that store more often..

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Responding to a bunch of stuff... don't feel like multi-quoting:

1> Customer Service - so important.... sorry, but the Langhe is not worth the money in parts/resale, so they really ought to give you a good experience and look. But in general, that is the point of a differentiated product strategy... part of the differentiation is the mechanics, metals, etc. but the value is also in the exclusivity and treatment you should receive from the manufacturer. I'm going to chalk it up to them being German (J/K).

Funny side note on that.. a wonderful high end audio store in Columbus used to treat me like a king when I was in college... they made a good investment.. sold me some used stuff on the cheap, and when I am ready to buy big, I was planning to cross the country if I had to so I could buy from them... but they are out of business :(

2> G&G - they are beautiful shoes, but they're narrow as hell... if you have a bigger foot, might make sense to try Edward Green or JM Weston.

3> Nashville - don't remember the name, but there was a very good place upstairs on the main drag near Vandy - had a great selection of pre-owned stuff and very friendly staff, but it's been like 6 years since I've been there. I know - this is less than unhelpful.

9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I think things are getting out of hand here:

[​IMG]

10. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Care to let me in on these sources? Also King Jewelers in where my fiancee's sister when to get a Submariner for her husband.

As to the Panerai comments, I have not seen them in person but love the style of some of them. When I look at their prices they are generally $10K+

11. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

2...they have a myriad of different lasts...if stitch's fat foot can wear em comfortably...anyone can. ;)

3...i think i know the place youre speaking of...and for some reason i cant remember that guys name...great shop too. its right on 21st ave/hillsboro rd.

12. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

a sub from kings?? either they just started selling them, or maybe it was a special order...when i was there, they said they had no plans of becoming a rolex AD. theres a few places...Barrys Pawn in the ghetto is actually a great place....and honestly at times has the best rolex selection. The guy chicago ron mentioned has decent prices as well, but i cant for the life of me remember his name. Theres also a place next to Corner Music on granny white that stocks a dozen of them. I THINK its called gossage jewelers. I may be wrong though. But these are all used....I personally have no problem buying used...i prefer to buy used over new.

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Frilly, when a dealer sees you coming, he should have you carried down the street on a platinum litter by Tahitian virgins in bikinis, scattering rose petals and saffron in your path and singing "here comes funky Jesus".

Or at least offer you coffee. For the last six months you've been like a watch dealer's benevolent fund.

Thanks for the vicarious joy! Heck, I'd offer you coffee myself, just for that. Now show us some more of that PP action, would you?

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

^^ mimo, I am happy to oblige. Here is my new "two-tone perpetual calendar dual time split seconds chronograph!" That's right, boys and girls. I've got timepieces from Patek that allows for split seconds chronograph functionality - the ability to time two events simultaneously. No, it's not the 5004 or the 5204. I cannot afford either of those pieces. So, instead, I present my innovative split seconds chronograph - dual face watch, yellow gold and platinum, both with silver dials. For the first event I click the top pusher on the platinum, and for the second event I click the top pusher on the yellow gold. Voila! In fact, this "split seconds chronograph" of mine not only allows me to time two events at the same time... it's also a "perpetual calendar dual time" complication, which allows me to track the time/day/date/moonphase for TWO PLACES IN THE WORLD at the same time! How 'bout that! Not even the 5004 or the 5204 can do that! Heh heh. [​IMG]

15. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

^^ i hate you for making me look at those pics. so. fucking. nice. GAHHH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.