The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control, 40mm. I sold it to Mr. Anthony actually!

2. Flake

Flake Senior member

Awesome fiancé! My wife gave me a watch as a wedding gift as well. Breguet Calssique. My favorite watch now.

3. Flake

Flake Senior member

Love that

4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Watch is gorgeous. If it had a date it would be on my wrist by now

Blasphemy, I know ;)

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I believe it comes right in at $10k. Usually you can get 15% off of ADs with JLC too.

6. McWu

McWu Active Member

If you're looking for a solid dive watch that'll do daily duty and come out 20 years later looking great? I've experienced a full spectrum of dive watches from Seiko to AP and one of the top contenders for this slot is still the Rolex Sub-C. Classic yet modern design, will do both dress/casual duty with ease, and has all the nice modern touches, including the one of the best bezels and clasps (with glidelock micro-adjustment) in the business. Plus, they can be had for well under $10k.

There are plenty of more "interesting" divers out there, but I doubt you'll find one that is as complete a package as the Sub-C.

7. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

THe shop around the way (with the front facing Middle Road) has nicer people, better watches, and a better reputation. ARe you in TST now?

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I know that shop as well. Like I said, Jon's place isn't so much a "shop" as it is a guy with a collection who happens to have a storefront. At the time it was just fun to hang out and learn little details and some history of certain brands, watch him work on different pieces and have tea. I can't say anything for the people in the other shop but Jon is beyond "nice" so I'm not sure why you would mention that. Usually Peter would be working on something across the hall and I'd go get some chai and sweets from the Indian joints in Chung King Mansion!

Left HK and Asia in general last summer, but hoping to visit again next spring. Any one know anything about that last one... I believe it's "Cler"...??

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

9. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

hate to be that guy, but a rolex GMT IIc or the ceramic submariner. out of all the dozens of watches ive owned, these are some of my favorites. they hold value better, and are just all around great watches and like has been said...well under 10K. buy the rolex and a pair of G&Gs and still have some cash left over for a few shirts or ties. WIN!

10. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

NVM

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I'm not a huge Rolex guy but I agree it would make one heckuva wedding gift. The sub-c would also hold its value more than any dive watch which may not be that relevant since this will be your wedding gift. Alas the price increase last year probably puts the DSSD out of your range unless you have a very very generous dealer in which case please pm me his info too! Since its somewhat relevant to the past few posts, here's my wedding gift (from the in-laws) [​IMG]

12. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Very cool - anyone deets on this watch?

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

not only are you correct, i am a retard. the MSRP is less on the chrono than on the memovox tributes by over a grand.

you dont hate it, you cherish being THAT guy. ;)

while i agree that those are both great watches and would happy to have them, considering this is a wedding gift, i dont think how well they hold their value will be a big factor. i dont imagine he plans on selling this wedding gift. but either way, they are great options and no reason not to go with them if that is what appeals most.

and i would definitely say to get GGs regardless of what watch is chosen. :devil:

14. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

we know. ;)

the memovox reissue is a stellar watch for sure...if it were priced a tad lower, it would be a much stronger contender for me.

15. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Clearly I need some new in-laws. And in order for that to happen, I would also require a new fiance.

Never mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.