The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flake

Flake Senior member

I like it. But I like the classic fifty fathoms better.

2. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I think it's a handsome watch if not particular memorable or striking. Though I like it better than the previous FF, I will say this new model doesn't do much to stand out from the other divers out there. That being said BP makes a fine product and this could ring a lot of the right bells for many..

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

stitchy dis VC is purrty nayz.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i think i know what you are saying, and i heartily agree.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I hate to say it, even though BP makes a high quality product I find most of their products boring and unattractive. The regular Fifty Fathoms might be the exception, but I just can't see myself pulling the trigger on one. Generally, for what most BPs cost there is always some alternative in its price range that I would rather have. As for the Bathyscaphe I think it might be one of the ugliest watches they have made in ages. For years people complained the lugs on Rolex watches were too sharp and should be rounded, the lugs on Bathyscaphe look like they are modeled after the claw of a hammer. The bezel looks flimsy and too thin, and the hour markers look a too small for a real dive watch. As for the extra large crown, it some photos it looks ok, in others it looks like it belongs on a beefier watch. It seems like this watch is just trying too hard to be a modern looking dive watch. Sorry, but if this is their best effort for a new addition to the Fifty Fathoms collection, they should not have bothered.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i think the blancpain annual calendar is one of their nicest offerings. #jussayin

7. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

It's a mess. The one element that strikes me as being particularly weak is the use of bold Arial for the bezel numbers. That's just unacceptable from an established watch company, as no professional designer would ever willingly choose that font. I presume they're going for some sort of classic diver's watch look, but when they use a badly-drawn low-end typeface that entirely owes its existence to Microsoft's being cheap when they introduced Windows, it smacks of design incompetence.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

I haven't posted for quite some time. I have been wearing this most days to work. Ref 16030. Probably a bit plain Jane for many of you but I really respond to the watch's fairly simple aesthetic. [​IMG]

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Beautiful Rolex, mate.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Lovely Rolex! Has a lot of character!

For those who are interested, Jocke's report is up: http://www.roleks.se/bas2013.htm

Some of my favorites:

[​IMG]

Regulator movement:

[​IMG]

All in all, kind of a slow year at Basel!

12. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

It would, I think, be cliche to speak of time being a precious commodity because that it chimes true for most of us -- whether we are students preparing for exams, or prospective grandparents reminiscing about 'what-could-have-been' if one had spent more time with one's family -- means that we are already painfully aware of time's value.

Napoleon Bonaparte was aware that time was not on his side on the bloodied plains of Waterloo, Marie-Antoinette, on the eve of 16th October 1793 before she was guillotined for the sake of liberté, égalité, fraternité, and the Duke of Windsor, when he abdicated the crown, crying that: 'I found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as King as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love'.

Yet, we sometimes forget that we need to cherish precious moments.

That's why I acquired this watch -- to remind me, like they did Napoleon, Marie Antoinette, and Edward VIII that time is, never, never, on our side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

More pictures would be great :).

Lovely watch, wear it in good health!

14. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

this. 1000x this. Just not a fan of BP....a friend has a FF thats quite attractive, but spends more time at BP than on his wrist. he's spent around 1500 this year sending it in for service.

the new pic posted reminds me of an underdeveloped Kobold.

drool.

hey you know jocke?? I love that tattooed swedish fucker!! that GO is fucking GORGEOUS.

moar pics of this.

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Wow.

It's doubly funny that they feel the need to play this up, when it would've been so much better if it... well, hadn't ;-)

Also, for something named Babyscape it's disappointingly large at 43mm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.