• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol blue and black does not look bad at all. You may not like it, but I think they go wonderfully together. Also, i dont think they are trying to sell something before they release a secret better model. Thats kind of a silly speculation imo.

Why is it a silly speculation? There are tons of people waiting for Pepsi and Coke ceramic, if Rolex figured out two color ceramic bezel, why not release the Pepsi and Coke bezels? This is a reasonable explanation for a marketing move.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I would like to know, is how they make a two color bezel without a seam? Imari, Delfft or Staffordshire?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You see Cerachom (Rolex's own version of ceramic) was introduced on the GMT first in 2005. And for years, we were told that making a two-tone ceramic anything was impossible. But this year, Rolex has gone an built a mono-block cerachrom bezel by a patented process that actually has the bezel start off as completely blue, and while still pourous, add the black coloring. So, this isn't two pieces of ceramic next to each other, it's a singular piece, and Rolex is the only brand in the world to produce something like this. It's so difficult to do that it's actually patented.

And the bezel goodness doesn't end there. The numerals in this two-tone, mono-block bezel are actually a thin layer of platinum, while the bezel itself is diamond-polished.

That is all the technical information I have found.

Last edited:

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard that Rolex is having difficulties perfecting the shade of red to be used on the dial, hence why the Pepsi model has yet to be announced. Regardless, Rolex could release both of these models and I would still go with the black and blue dial. I understand the Pepsi GMT is iconic and is the "darling" GMT model, but I need something fairly versatile and I find the Pepsi dial too garish to be perfectly honest.

Another photo:

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish they let you customize when is "day" and when is "night" - I would want the black to be from 10pm to 8 am , rather than 6 to 6. I hardly find 6am to be "daytime"

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why is it a silly speculation? There are tons of people waiting for Pepsi and Coke ceramic, if Rolex figured out two color ceramic bezel, why not release the Pepsi and Coke bezels? This is a reasonable explanation for a marketing move.

If they figured it out I think they would release it and cash in. I dont think they have it ready but just decided to feed out a new color while they sit on the coke and pepsi. Unless I misunderstood what you meant.

Newcomer - very cool info, thanks.

Last edited:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying an IWC Portugeuese Chronograph, and post GST refund, it comes to $6500... what do you guys think? Good price? Should I save money in light of the coming economic downturn?! I feel bad spending money, but i love nice things.

ant702

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying an IWC Portugeuese Chronograph, and post GST refund, it comes to $6500... what do you guys think? Good price? Should I save money in light of the coming economic downturn?! I feel bad spending money, but i love nice things.

F*** economics! If you got the dough, spend it, you worked for it, enjoy your money!

McWu

Reaction score

The newest version of the Portuguese Chrono destroys this older version. I'd spring for the new. Here's a Hodinkee article on the refreshed line-up:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introd...ograph-classic-a-modern-classic-goes-in-house

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ncc1701d

Reaction score
A long time lurker, I wanted to give my 2 bits regarding IWC. They are beautiful watches. Stunning. I was almost going to buy the spitfire one right up until I saw the marketing for it. The video release with Malkovich I thought would seal the deal for me - but it did quite the opposite. As an international airline pilot, I could not have been more embarrassed for IWC. No pilot I know would associate themselves with that sort of nonsense. Now these watches - again, beautiful. But whomever is in change of their marketing needs a foot in the rear end. "Able-bodied watch lovers"? What the hell are they talking about.

Sorry - this is not a rant against IWC watches themselves, I admire them completely. Perhaps I shouldn't let marketing persuade me either way when it comes to buying a product, but I can't be associated with an ethos like theirs.

I've since fallen for JLC Master Tourbillon series. no pointless ads or BS that I've come across anyway.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A long time lurker, I wanted to give my 2 bits regarding IWC. They are beautiful watches. Stunning. I was almost going to buy the spitfire one right up until I saw the marketing for it. The video release with Malkovich I thought would seal the deal for me - but it did quite the opposite. As an international airline pilot, I could not have been more embarrassed for IWC. No pilot I know would associate themselves with that sort of nonsense. Now these watches - again, beautiful. But whomever is in change of their marketing needs a foot in the rear end. "Able-bodied watch lovers"? What the hell are they talking about.

Sorry - this is not a rant against IWC watches themselves, I admire them completely. Perhaps I shouldn't let marketing persuade me either way when it comes to buying a product, but I can't be associated with an ethos like theirs.

I've since fallen for JLC Master Tourbillon series. no pointless ads or BS that I've come across anyway.

I don't understand what turned you off? They ran some ads? What?

teighlorspink

Reaction score
Can anyone identify this watch David Beckham is wearing? Also, if anyone knows something simarly looking in the sub 2000 dollar mark could you be so kind to share. I love the look of a gold case, black main dial, with 3 inset gold dials. Thanks in advance!

ncc1701d

Reaction score
I don't understand what turned you off? They ran some ads? What?
Not sure if you've seen the ads. They don't inspire me to purchase their watches. It's as though their marketing department is run by adolescent while their designing department is cutting edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics