The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forex

forex Senior member

Blue and black looks bad, I don't know why Rolex didn't release Coke and Pepsi although they are probably trying to sell blue/black before they release the other ones.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Lol blue and black does not look bad at all. You may not like it, but I think they go wonderfully together. Also, i dont think they are trying to sell something before they release a secret better model. Thats kind of a silly speculation imo.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013

3. Kai

Kai Senior member

4. forex

forex Senior member

Why is it a silly speculation? There are tons of people waiting for Pepsi and Coke ceramic, if Rolex figured out two color ceramic bezel, why not release the Pepsi and Coke bezels? This is a reasonable explanation for a marketing move.

5. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

What I would like to know, is how they make a two color bezel without a seam? Imari, Delfft or Staffordshire?

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

You see Cerachom (Rolex's own version of ceramic) was introduced on the GMT first in 2005. And for years, we were told that making a two-tone ceramic anything was impossible. But this year, Rolex has gone an built a mono-block cerachrom bezel by a patented process that actually has the bezel start off as completely blue, and while still pourous, add the black coloring. So, this isn't two pieces of ceramic next to each other, it's a singular piece, and Rolex is the only brand in the world to produce something like this. It's so difficult to do that it's actually patented.

And the bezel goodness doesn't end there. The numerals in this two-tone, mono-block bezel are actually a thin layer of platinum, while the bezel itself is diamond-polished.

That is all the technical information I have found.

7. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

I've heard that Rolex is having difficulties perfecting the shade of red to be used on the dial, hence why the Pepsi model has yet to be announced. Regardless, Rolex could release both of these models and I would still go with the black and blue dial. I understand the Pepsi GMT is iconic and is the "darling" GMT model, but I need something fairly versatile and I find the Pepsi dial too garish to be perfectly honest.

Another photo:

[​IMG]

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I wish they let you customize when is "day" and when is "night" - I would want the black to be from 10pm to 8 am , rather than 6 to 6. I hardly find 6am to be "daytime"

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

If they figured it out I think they would release it and cash in. I dont think they have it ready but just decided to feed out a new color while they sit on the coke and pepsi. Unless I misunderstood what you meant.

Newcomer - very cool info, thanks.

10. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

I am thinking about buying an IWC Portugeuese Chronograph, and post GST refund, it comes to $6500... what do you guys think? Good price? Should I save money in light of the coming economic downturn?! I feel bad spending money, but i love nice things.

[​IMG]

11. ant702

ant702 Senior member

F*** economics! If you got the dough, spend it, you worked for it, enjoy your money!

12. McWu

McWu Active Member

13. McWu

McWu Active Member

The newest version of the Portuguese Chrono destroys this older version. I'd spring for the new. Here's a Hodinkee article on the refreshed line-up:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introd...ograph-classic-a-modern-classic-goes-in-house

14. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

15. ncc1701d

ncc1701d Well-Known Member

A long time lurker, I wanted to give my 2 bits regarding IWC. They are beautiful watches. Stunning. I was almost going to buy the spitfire one right up until I saw the marketing for it. The video release with Malkovich I thought would seal the deal for me - but it did quite the opposite. As an international airline pilot, I could not have been more embarrassed for IWC. No pilot I know would associate themselves with that sort of nonsense. Now these watches - again, beautiful. But whomever is in change of their marketing needs a foot in the rear end. "Able-bodied watch lovers"? What the hell are they talking about.

Sorry - this is not a rant against IWC watches themselves, I admire them completely. Perhaps I shouldn't let marketing persuade me either way when it comes to buying a product, but I can't be associated with an ethos like theirs.

I've since fallen for JLC Master Tourbillon series. no pointless ads or BS that I've come across anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.