1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Gorgeous! Congrats.

2. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Thanks!!! I had actually never tried on the watch (or even seen one in person) before today. Pics do not do it justice. I got goosebumps as I was peeling off all the plastic and finally revealed that brilliant finishing. And after all the debate over the various models, I find that the size is absolutely PERFECT for my taste. I could not be happier. Thanks to all TWATers for their guidance through the process!

Light is not so great in the house, I should have snapped more pics at Bucee's. LOL

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

YES!!!!

so nice, TC. wear it in good health.

:slayer:

4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Beautiful, TC - looks awesome on you

Congrats man

5. thestylishdevil

thestylishdevil Active Member

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

V special TC. Something tells me that you're delighted (!)

Quite right.

7. Flake

Flake Senior member

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Mrs. Dino and I looked at a ton of homes about 2 years ago, so I know the feeling. Put the time into getting the right house, and make sure you dedicate one room to your watch/hobby stuff (and that might make the search a bit more fun...not minute repeater fun...but better). I have one room with all of my wristwatch and car reference materials, posters etc. Haven't finished setting it all up, but I love having a room with all of my vintage watch catalogs, books, ads etc.

Hey TC, congrats on a great choice! Its a watch that you will grow to enjoy more with each day that you wear it. While I admit there are a few other pieces I'd like to add to my collection in the future, I honestly find it very difficult to NOT wear my RO. It probably gets a good 90-95% of my wrist time during the year. I just love the way the watch feels, the finish, the overall design, and the quality. I find myself taking a minute or two each day just to admire the dial, or the way the light dances off the beveled edges of the case and the edges of the smaller bracelet links. I hope that you enjoy your RO as much as I adore mine. Good luck with it and congrats on a real beauty!

Also, in case the dealer did not mention it, be sure to register your watch on line with AP. They will send you a sticker that will go in the owners manual and as long as you have AP inspect the watch and do what I believe is a pressure test before the 2nd year of the warranty ends, they will extend the warranty to a 3rd year.

Again congrats and enjoy your beautiful new watch.

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

OMFG that is one seriously beautiful piece and a lovely pic. Congratulations!!!

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

This day, TWAT hath given me 2 new goals:

1. An AP RO

2. Building an addition to make a hobby room in my house

1 person likes this.
  11. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Tried on a Blancpain FF Bathyscaphe today. Liked it more than I thought I would, but the date window and lack of steel bracelet turned me off of it.

The JLC Duometre a Quantieme Lunaire in the 40.5 was quite nice,.

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Very nice TC! I love it. It looks very nice on your wrist, I am glad you are happy with it.

13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

Thanks Roger that's kind of you to say :) I am a fan of nicely proportioned dauphine hands too. Here's a daylight pic with its satin-brushed side contrasting with high polish. I like the way it is an understated watch which has a lot of subtle curves that catches the light in different ways. The blued hand is a deep dark that glows when light hits it at the right angles. I've never come across anyone in real life wearing a UG, the chances of which are probably remote, which I think is kind of nice... unless I should ever bump into you and your fantabulous panda compax! :satisfied:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. robw

robw Senior member

Nice!!! Enjoy. Those ROs are keepers.

16. andy9

andy9 Member

Hi all!

First time poster. Thought I'd contribute this vintage Rolex bubbleback I inherited from my deceased grandfather. Had it cleaned and restored. Not the original strap but I quite like the crocodile brown leather replacement he chose. Excuse the Instagram filter.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

I really like Rolex from another era. The engine turned bezel, the markers, the dauphine hands, and before it went Superlative...

Thanks for sharing it andy9 :)

18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

sweet Rollie Andy... and the history is what makes it fantastic.

19. andy9

andy9 Member

Thanks for the kind words and warm welcome!

I'm new to collecting watches and admittedly had to Google each of your compliments. There is so much to learn! But, I still am unclear as to the significance of Rolex going Superlative?

20. andy9

andy9 Member

Thank you kindly Nickels, yes the history is everything. My grandfather was a entrepreneur in fashion back in the 60's/70's, and built a respectable business importing Italian and European brands into Taiwan and wholesaling them to greater Asia. I grew up on stories about him traveling to Paris, Milan and Tokyo for Fashion Week so this watch holds a lot of personal significance. When I received the watch from my mum, the dial was green, muddy and discolored (probably from the absurdly hot and humid climate in Taipei) but the local watch repair did an amazing restoration job and I couldn't be happier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.