The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I feel like the designer of that watch tried to challenge himself to put as many fonts as humanly possible on that dial.

With that said, it is quirky and has character, which I do appreciate.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:fistbump: glad to share something useful now and again.

btw, i LOVE both of those pateks. particularly the rectangular model. i have a thing for symmetry, and those are about prefect as it gets in that regard. would love to have them both. would wear them both at same time. maybe even on the same wrist.

3. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

Where do you work again?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

4. in stitches

Lol not there, thats for sure.

5. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Let the record show that "TWAT" page 1352 actually depicts a pair of Pateks that do nothing for me.

You crazy stitchy.

But Nautilus will always be full of win. Sigh.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

TWAT is full of strange magic lately, Keith. But I am telling you, put that 5159 in your hand and it will touch you in a wholly unexpected way. :)

7. in stitches

this is wrong

definitely not wrong.

also definitely not wrong.

8. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I just can't figure this thread out. :eh:

[​IMG]

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Oh man! Why would you do that?! I feel like I was just looking at roses but suddenly smelt a fart!

See, JHC, you have to not try to figure TWAT out. Just dive in and go with it....:)

10. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

LOL Mimo, stitchy...I just can't get down with that particular model.

I guess it's mainly the 15-17 thing bugs me, as does the way the Romans at III and IX are being "devoured"... let's just say she's not my favorite PP.

I will allow that it probably looks much better on the wrist, as is the case with many of the finer time-tickers.

Gotta leave some for the next guy anyway.

11. in stitches

WHAT ABOUT THE RECTANGULAR ONE??? HOW COULD YOU HATE THAT!!???

[​IMG]

also, i think dereks wears that diamond skull B&R.

12. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Well....I probably wouldn't say HATE. But since you asked, it's mainly the hands believe it or not.

Dauphin style calls for a round case in the Keith T horological world. So it loses points in my strange little book there.

And something about the upper half power reserve not quite balancing out the bottom of the dial...that also gives me pause.

Look, I realize it's like I'm criticizing the mole on Cindy Crawford's face here.

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

Ah, you fell under the spell of the lovely 5159 in white gold. I've tried that piece on, as well as its immediate predecessor the 5059. Picture here:

[​IMG]

In my opinion the 5059 is a bit better sized for me at 36mm, although this is a personal preference and I'm sure a lot of folks prefer the larger 5159 at 39mm. The guilloche dial of the 5159 seems to be a plus for me too given that the 5059's enamel-like (emphasis on this, it's not enamel but enamel-like) dial appeared a bit too flat.

The hinged caseback is certainly a very, very cool feature, hope you got to enjoy that subtle bit of sexiness when you tried the 5159, mimo:

[​IMG]

And the retrograde complication for the date is certainly a cool function, different from the perpetuals I currently have.

The issue I had with this piece is niggly stuff with aesthetics: first the "15" and "17" being cut off by the leap year indicator was a bit of a minus for me (as it seems to be for Dino944 and Keith T too). Also, the design of the dial seemed strangely flat, especially compared the sculpted beauty of, say, these baton markers on the 3970:

[​IMG]

At the end of the day I went with the 3970 in platinum because I just thought it was perfect in every way, at least for me. At these price points there's just no room for "trade-offs" or stuff that just doesn't sit well with you. Don't get me wrong: the 5059 and 5159 still catch my eye when I see 'em. So please forgive me if I end up getting one in the future anyway...

[​IMG]

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

So, I was just on Hodinkee and looking at the new Calatrava... I am just balking at the $37,000 price. That is absolutely ridonculous. I just do not know how much longer this can go on.

I almost laughed at the "invisible hinge that took 2 years of R&D." There is NO WAY that any hinge took 2 years of R&D.

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Newcomer - I think the issue with Patek's current pricing of the 5227, at $37K, is that it's running smack against secondary market pricing for pre-owned pieces with some serious grande complications. For example, a simple search on chrono24 reveals at least two to three very lovely tonneau-shaped 5040J's selling for $37-$39K.

One of them happens to be the 5040J I bought, actually. And with some negotiation I actually got it for a bit under $37K.

So - you gonna get a brand new Calatrava with a date and hinged back? Or are you gonna get a perpetual calendar with two casebacks, a Patek winding box valued at $3K and complete/open papers, albeit pre-owned?

Then again current Calatravas that retail at $23K ALREADY compete with pre-owned annual calendars (5035s) so who knows how this latest offering will fare.

Keith T - great analogy about Cindy Crawford and her mole!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.