The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

do not like, lol.

white face steel daytona is win as always.

2. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Thanks guys! I guess I was a little hesitant sharing personal information and feared it was out of place, but I'm glad yall enjoyed it!

Newcomer,

When my wife got pregnant my thinking was along similar lines as the wedding (buy something nice to commemorate an event), but when we found out it was a boy, thinking evolved beyond simply commemorative into something I could actually give to him one day (i.e. for inheritance/posterity). I knew I wanted something a) different than a dress watch (already had a good one), and b) something masculine as it spoke to the notion of fatherhood as I've said, and c) history as this was for posterity! Now many watches can fit the bill (Rolex sub/GMT/explorer, AP RO for example all meet these criteria), but somewhere along the way I became quite pleased with the idea of having two "moon" watches, albeit ones with very different understandings of that term. This sort of internal consistency within my collection made me lean hard in the direction of the SMP. Add to this the deeper "identity" connection and I was sold. Honestly I cant even remember when it dawned on me that the Speedy Pro was the best symbol of good ol' USA in terms of horology because lets be honest I wouldnt have been happy with an RGM or a Hamilton, or even IWC [​IMG] to carry that load.

Without that symbolism, that poetry, I don't think I would have been able to pull the trigger. As Dino is fond of saying, its often the search rather than the purchase/ownership that is most enjoyable. I completely agree.

In short, I don't think the SMP screams 'murica, and it wasn't hindsight because I wouldn't have pulled the trigger until I was comfortable with my purchase.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

3. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Nice. I consider the 1969 moon landing mankind's greatest accomplishment to date.

4. in stitches

5. in stitches

regarding the conversation about metal hardness, i took this video today.

here is 22k gold, which is most comparable to platinum in metal purity. good luck doing this with plat.

:)

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Well, stitchy, you forgot to mention that you may well be able to do that with platinum too because you are basically the Hulk.

7. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Stitch

Does your customer know you just crushed her tiara?!

8. in stitches

:laugh:

also, it was actually a bracelet. or it used to be anyways.

9. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've said before that Rolex's new designs occasionally seem to be intended to appeal to magpies, so I'm surprised that I didn't make the connection until I looked outside and saw the pair of them in the back yard.

10. in stitches

free magpie with purchase of new GMT?

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

Just when you think you know a little bit about something new, someone comes along and tramples it all underfoot...

Just kidding - thanks for the correction! :)

Thank you for that. I really enjoyed reading what went through your mind with each watch purchase.

I was facetious on purpose with my earlier comment about the motivation for purchasing my Reverso - something which I understand might not have transmitted too well across the interwebz to readers of this thread. It was actually purchased to celebrate my recent engagement. I mean... only fair since she got a ring, right? :slayer:

As I've mentioned before I was not attracted to the red dial initially, but then over a year or so I grew to love it. I guess it was a slow burning thing, not some intense crush destined to eventually fade away. I also really liked the idea of the most obvious bit of a watch referencing in a way the most obvious bit of my life partner - she is of the, uh, flame haired variety. And then after the purchase there was option (now taken) for customisation to make it truly "us". We discussed designs for weeks - not continuously of course but we did put some serious thought into it. Now it's away having magical things done to it, having our ideas made real through sheer magnificent skill, and I can't wait for it to be back. It won't just be any watch, but our watch. :)

And yes, she is also allowed to wear it. :nodding:

Now... in other news - PP's first real design howler?

[​IMG]

This actually bears an uncanny resemblance in a way to the first Reversos (and their recent Tribute brethren - look at the hour/minute markers), but not in a good way IMO. Look at the "curved" font in the day window! And look how the hands blot out the company name because of the quite inelegant power reserve placement. Yikes.

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

No chance, but if and when I get it back I'll take it back to the ex-dealer, who did the original fix-up for me. Hope he can fix it; it was far less painless dealing with someone in the same damn country!

As for the magpies...I see what you mean. But that weird new Daytona and its satanic platinum spell are really bringing out the magpie. And that's not even the right colour! I do like this GMT though. It's a definite contender for when I get my game back on....

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I think that is a hideous watch. I have never been a fan of that design.

And "flame haired variety?"

:slayer::slayer:

14. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Yo Frilly!

Earlier this evening I was time-wasting (no pun intended) in the leading local dealers, and saw this. Naturally I can't see a PP perpetual calendar without thinking of you, and in your honour, I tried it on. This pic is from eBay, not mine, but I just wanted to say that it's so much more stunning in the flesh.

I mean, I do get how someone can lose their mind and spend an insane amount on fine watches, as you have...but putting this on the wrist really, really gives a feel for how easily that insanity could come. Every tiny detail, both visual and tactile, was just remarkable. I stared at it for a full fifteen minutes before regaining my senses and putting it down.

So why haven't you got one? It's so different from your others, and I am sure, inherently and empirically perfect.*

[​IMG]

*Except two things: one, I would have loved it more in platinum (after the weird Rolex-Eye-of-Sauron dreams of the last 24 hours), but might actually have cried at its wonder. And two, it was on a chocolate brown strap, that I find a little ugly. Black or dark tan would have been nicer. Just sayin'

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I love that case, actually, and although I think "howler" is a bit strong, but their standards I think you're right: it's simply...imperfect somehow. For me it's that the hands and hour markers seem so...heavy. And the red dot on the date marker, plus the red in the power reserve, just scream a bit. I love this so much more when it's clean and simple.

But...here's a thought: imagine it exactly the same, with with a black or dark blue dial, and exactly the same markers, hands and everything, in silver instead. Just picture it. That I'd bite someone over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.