Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

^^wow. i just buy whatever watch gets my dick hard that day. ;)

great stuff.....its nice being able to tie in a meaning to each watch.

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Brief question Cylon:

I did not really recognize that you put such a large amount of thought into each watch. I guess my question is a "what came first, the chicken or the egg" one. When you bought the Speedy, was it the rugged Americanism that propelled you to get it, or is it through the benefit of hindsight that you realize what caused you to gravitate towards it?

I guess in response to your question, I just like the best of certain 'categories.' I am not saying that these categories make sense generally, but they make sense to me. As far as steel sports chronographs go, the Speedy is my favorite. Above the Daytona in my eyes. As far as I am concerned, the Speedy is the best in that category. Now lets turn to the JLC MUT Moon. I think this is the "best" in its category that I have delineated--a dress watch with a moonphase. That is what eventually steered me away from the GO PML. It was merely a placeholder in my eyes to a Lange 1 with moonphase.

That is one of the reasons I sold my Master Control. I loved it, but I wished it was a VC Patrimony. And if I got a VC Patrimony, the MC would have been sold.

Another example: I put AP RO, Nautilus, Daytona, Overseas, and the Ingy in a category.

This is one of the reasons I did not really care for the new Master Calendar. Is it beautiful? Yes. But I would always look at it and wish it was a Patek Annual Calendar.

And I definitely take this approach to many things in life.

My blue suede Alden penny loafers--I would not replace those with anything, there is no 'upgrade' in my eyes. On the other hand, if I was to buy some brown semi-brogues, I would be getting something from EG or G&G.

It is not the originality element that gets me, it is the staying power I guess.

3. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Slow clap for Cylon. NOT boring.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

awesome gif.

dino is the man, i truly feel better off for getting to read his posts in this thread. an expert and a mentch, through and through.

this is brilliant.

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

This has got to be one of the most honest, least boring posts in this thread. Love it. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on these milestones!

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Now now...enough happiness, mutual respect and all-round sensibility.

Let's go back to the subject of silly Daytonas for a minute. My local AD has just ordered this, apparently (image lifted from his Facebook page)...getting lots of adoring comments, but I'm guessing this is where Belligero might draw the line. Stitchy...hard to say.

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

Ah, this one is not for me. A personal thing, for sure, but I tend to shy away from diamonds anywhere in men's watches. That subtle little diamond at the bottom of newer Patek platinum pieces that looks like one of the pushers and that no one really sees unless they look for it? I can take that.

The diamond-encrusted crown guards for this piece seem a bit much for me.

I'm not averse to diamonds per se! I got the wife this one last December, for example:

[​IMG]

But not for any piece I wear. Just me.

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

That's the kind of thing you have to buy your wife when you've just spent $$$$$ on a sudden interest in Patek Philippe perpetual calendars. [​IMG]

I agree...all those diamonds are really for the ladies...and the one I linked to is just horrible. But that subtle little number on the platinum PP...yeah, I'm with you on that too.

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

Uhm. Yeah. Precisely. [​IMG]

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

Also, one of the kind folks at PuristSPro alerted me to the fact that Rolex has introduced a new steel Daytona this 2013! Here are pics of the white dial and black dial:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Link from PuristSPro here:

http://rolex.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-732/pi-5842708/ti-859533/s-0/

Same size, finishing and material, but the lugs and crown guards have been reworked! No, really! I mean, here's my old clunker of a 116520:

[​IMG]

There it is, that huge difference in the lugs and crown guards. Do you see it? Do you see it?

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

Haha! :facepalm:

Anyway, pricing on the new Calatrava? $32,000.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Wow...subtle, but I like! White face on steel is still the pick of the bunch I think.

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

Actually, I read this for the 5227, unsure about source but it was posted on TRF: "J is $35,400 and R/G $37,300"

Now, the 5127 (no date, no hinged caseback) has already been priced at $29,000 but over $30K, close to $40K for a no-complication Calatrava?

[​IMG]

Well, okay, I guess there is that date and hinged caseback... [​IMG]

14. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

waitwut? you sure about that??? 32K for the most basic watch?!?!?!

agree. i had both and MUCH prefer the white dial.

15. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Very sorry to hear about that experience and the damage to the watch. I'd be cheesed as well. Unfortunately, that sounds about par for the course when dealing with Omega these days. Any independent watchmakers near you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.