1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKDKid

TKDKid Senior member

Nice choice - which face version of the Orion are you getting?

I went for the white face with silver hands/markers:

[​IMG]

I have also noticed the Orion, looks like a nice dayly wearer [​IMG]

I'm planning to alternate between the Orion and my Stowa Antea KS...

On hindsight a Nomos Orion brings you halfway to a http://www.dornblueth.com/flash.php?...n&s=refcal_990 ...

I don't have that kind of money - I am but a kid...

Plus they're huge! (For me, anyway.)

2. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

I went for the white face with silver hands/markers:

[​IMG]

Very nice. [​IMG]

3. B-M

B-M New Member

Nomos finally got round to making the watch I've been hoping for ever since the original Club was released.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nice. Is it the 40mm version? Any pictures of the movement?[​IMG]

4. trailer36

trailer36 Senior member

I will throw mine in the ring. It was a wedding gift from my wonderful wife (handpicked by me of course):

[​IMG]

5. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

Nice. Is it the 40mm version? Any pictures of the movement?[​IMG]

Thanks. It's the manual wind version with date, which is 38.5mm. Like all Nomos, the Club wears larger than its size, though not to the extent of the Tangente/Tangomat type. The auto sans date is the 40mm one and the auto with date is 41.5mm. I was fortunate to be able to compare all 4 sizes and you need a big wrist for those auto models! Thanks to Nomos' Beta movement placing the date ring around the mechanism, rather than on top of it, this watch is only a fraction of a millimetre thicker than the non-date 36mm version - giving it even better proportion. It wears very flat and is thus very comfortable.

I opted for the steel caseback, which on the one hand is a shame since Nomos movements are very nicely finished, but on the other hand more appropriate to the type of watch IMO - and avoided more months of waiting. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will throw mine in the ring. It was a wedding gift from my wonderful wife (handpicked by me of course):

[​IMG]

Nice watch - what's the manufacturer? I can't make it out from the pic...

6. trailer36

trailer36 Senior member

The maker is Towson Watch Company. Small operation but very high quality watches with classic style.

7. beansprouts1

beansprouts1 Senior member

I was cleaning out some old heirlooms from my great-grandparents. I found a gold watch, labeled rogadis, swiss made. Anyone have any idea about this label?

8. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

I know this isn't the place, but I did not think this question warranted its own thread. Are Franck Muller watches any good? Particularily the Crazy Dreams watch.

9. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor
    I know this isn't the place, but I did not think this question warranted its own thread. Are Franck Muller watches any good? Particularily the Crazy Dreams watch.

It depends on what you consider "good". I'll see if I can cover all the bases.

From a movement design perspective...
    The Crazy Hour mechanism is actually rather ingenious as it is a creatively executed retrograde movement. I like it because it is imaginative and looney. The movement finishing on FM watches are generally good and well respected.

From an overall watch design perspective...
    I am not sure which case you like more but I believe it comes in a rectangular, square and tonneau shaped cases. Of the three, I like the Long Island rectagular shape the best. Not sure why but I find that it has the most harmony with the FM exploding numerals. Havings said that, I am not a fan of tonneau shaped cases.

From a quality perspective...
    FM watches are generally well constructed and draw upon the vertically integrated resources of Franck Muller Watchland, the watch company established by Franck Muller and his business partner, Vartan Sirmakes. However, there are a number of controversies that have plauged this organisation. Whether this makes any difference to your decision is very personal. A simple google search will yield what these issues are.

From a personal perspective...
    As I mentioned earlier, of all of Franck Muller watches, I like the Long Island design the best but not in the "dreams" execution of multicoloured numerals. I find this too childish or "Swatch" like for such an expensive piece. I would also caution against the novelty factor of the Crazy Hour mechanism as it is NOT the most intuitive way to tell the time, especially at a glance, in low light or when intoxicated. As a brand, FM has a "bling" factor that I dislike and I can find greater appreciation in a host of other brands that are more pragmatic in their design and brand position.

Hope this helps.

Gaz

10. TKDKid

TKDKid Senior member

I opted for the steel caseback, which on the one hand is a shame since Nomos movements are very nicely finished, but on the other hand more appropriate to the type of watch IMO - and avoided more months of waiting. [​IMG]

I agree that the steel case back suits your watch, as does the dark dial. [​IMG]

For my Orion, they only had a white face model with steel case back, so they had to order the sapphire case back version for me. I also noticed that the watch they showed me had misaligned hour markers on the dial that I'd read about previously, which you can also see quite clearly on the picture that I posted. Hopefully my one will be perfect!

11. jbmarine

jbmarine Senior member

Where Neverland Ranch, Santa Monica, and the land
    Awaiting arrival on an Omega Seamaster Pro I just ordered. God, I can't wait to have that watch.

I'll also get around to posting pics of my older Concord and mebbe my other watches.

12. ScottMan

ScottMan Senior member

Not sure if this qualifies as "p0rn"...but...

I just picked this guy up:

[​IMG]

IWC Portuguese Chrono (3714-17) - It's my first IWC and my first "more dressy" watch. I'm looking for a good brown croc/gator strap for it.

I think this is going to force me to sell this Tag as I can't really justify three 7750s in the house at once. Haha.

[​IMG]

13. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

Not sure if this qualifies as "p0rn"...but...
    [​IMG]

It does. Congratulations!

14. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Very prutty !! [​IMG]

One of the watches on my hunt list is the Port Rattrapante in rose gold with black dial - saw it once in real life at Cellini and it was [​IMG] at first sight

15. ScottMan

ScottMan Senior member

^That's a nice one too! Another I've been eyeing is the 3717 in rose gold. I love the contrast of the military style and the gorgeous rose gold tone: [​IMG] It's a bit out of my price-range though. :-/ I'll have to "settle" for a regular 3717 as my casual watch I suppose. Thanks, 0b5cur1ty!

16. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

Gazman, thank you very much. That did help. I looked into some the the faults of the organization and see what you are talking about. I guess I was initially looking at it as a conversation piece, as I have never seen a watch jump like that. Thank you again!

17. blackrover

blackrover Senior member

Here is my not so special Oris TT1 Lume shots. Sorry about the quality… But I have a surprise coming something I'm completely excited about! [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor
    Gazman, thank you very much. That did help. I looked into some the the faults of the organization and see what you are talking about. I guess I was initially looking at it as a conversation piece, as I have never seen a watch jump like that. Thank you again!

I can think of many other pieces that would work as a better conversation piece. MB&F comes into mind. If you have the resources to spend on a FM, you can certainly consider the MB&F Horological Machine #2.

All the best.

Gaz

19. TKDKid

TKDKid Senior member

Nomos Orion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alongside my Stowa Antea Kleine Sekunde:

[​IMG]

Hmm, watch photography seems to be much trickier than shoe photography... [​IMG]

20. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Nomos Orion: [​IMG]Hmm, watch photography seems to be much trickier than shoe photography... [​IMG]
    The Orion is NICE, i prefere it to the Stowa but thats me [​IMG] Re pic's: I think It comes down to DOF & angles to highlight details and finishes on dials. -Would be like picking our the grain on a pair of shoes ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.