1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks for sharing a photo. Looks great!

As JB asked, do you need a GMT function? As you go from talking about the Omega AT GMT to then saying a Speedy is ok. As for the Omega you posted, I don't care for it. I find the dial busy, I don't like the date window in line with the 2nd timezone markings, and you say you don't like a Rolex, but you are choosing a model of Omega that basically is fitted with a bracelet that looks like a knock off of a Rolex Oyster bracelet. I also don't like the AT in such a large size. Personally, I like some of the Seamasters, but not the GMT version, and the main attraction to me from Omega would be the Speedy.

As for GMT watches, is the a price range you are looking to stay within? Also does the watch have to be new?

Personally for second timezone watches, my favorites for new under $10,000 are the Rolex GMT 2 or Explorer 2 (the GMT's design is essentially what most other companies borrowed from), although I know you said you don't like Rolex. I would also consider a JLC pre-owned older generation JLC Geographique or Master Hometime, or possibly an old IWC UTC on the original pyramid style steel bracelet (although that's a watch with a design that I sometimes liked and other times I found a bit bland...but the bracelet was fantastic).

2. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Some recent pics from ~B~ since his computer is down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. mimo

mimo Senior member

I like chicken. Stitchy likes pigeon. What's to fight about? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Guys,

I realized I've never shared photos of this piece so I figured I'd post a few here. This was my grail watch in the 1990s. Its a stainless steel ref 16520 Rolex Daytona with the Zenith El Primero based movement, which after numerous modifications became cal 4030. It took me 2 years to track one down from a dealer willing to sell a new one at list price. Back then demand was much higher than supply so waiting lists were many years long and many dealers were asking anywhere from a 50% premium to double the MSRP for one of these. I was in law school at the time and sold a steel Submariner to pay for part of it. Lets just say I ate a lot of ramen noodles after that purchase, but it was well worth it! I have a modern 116250 with Rolex movement, which is a great watch, but this one is still my favorite.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

7. Cleav

In golfing terms that is one hell of a three-ball. Thanks for sharing

1 person likes this.
  8. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Some nice looking time pieces on this page. Also Frills, did you flex for the camera?

9. Flake

Flake Senior member

Dino,
    Love the older Zenith based Daytonas. If I ever got a Daytona myself, that's my pick. Yeah, the newer in house movement is great, but the older Zenith derived movements have soul.

10. Flake

Flake Senior member

[​IMG]
    Not an interesting movement by any means. Just a plain old Eta 2892a2. But I like the case shape and regulator dial. And more importantly, it was a gift from the wife, so it's special.

2 people like this.
  11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks Flake. Yes, the current model with in house movement has a longer power reserve, bracelet with solid links, and larger lum markings for low light situations, and its a great watch...but I love the Zenith based Daytonas. The are rugged, incredibly accurate, and I prefer the symmetry of the subdials (the newer ones they shifted the subdials upward slightly, and I like the smaller hour markers which give it a bit more elegance IMHO.
    I love interesting case shapes (none of my dress watches are round), and the case shape on your watch is very handsome. I think the only other watches I've seen with similar shapes were the old Daniel Roth watches, and there was a model by Lange, called the Arkade. Definitely a very interesting design.

12. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Great looking watch!

Speaking of which, I was eating lunch today and I noticed this gentleman was wearing a Chopard L.U.C XP Tonneau. It's a really nice watch. I really like the Tonneau case, and I'm a sucker for those micro-rotor. So I drool every time Frills post his beautiful 3940.. <3 cal. 240

Pics from the interwebz (relevantly slim watch too) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    2 people like this.
  13. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Yeah, I like that case shape a lot myself Flake. Cool watch and the sentimental value makes it priceless, right?

Dino, would your Daytona qualify as a so-called "Patrizzi dial" with that brownish fading? Great pics regardless.

Bad bitch, H-town.

14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

beautiful and unique! :nodding:

nice looking Chopard there as well.

15. ncc1701d

ncc1701d Well-Known Member

Thank you very much Dino for the reply. I'm an international airline pilot. This may lead people to believe that I should go for something in the IWC line, but to put things into perspective, my grail watch would be something like the Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Tourbillon or Master Tourbillon. I realise these are totally different watches to the Omega, but not in my price range.

The Omega GMT price… OK, so, in Hong Kong (where I live), the price is around HKD $60,000. My job being what it is, I have quotes from many different airport stores and the best I have found is in Japan - I can get the same watch for HKD $42,000 (that's after the exchange rate goodness and also a crew discount of 10%). That's a pretty big saving. (the next best being omega at Singapore's Changi for around HKD $51,000)

That being as it may, I'm probably looking around the USD $6,500 range.

The Rolex GMT 2, looks good. The things that turn me away from it is that date magnifier (the main reason I'm leaning towards Omega, they don't seem to have it). I also don't see the need for such huge outer bezel numbers (or markings like on the speedy). I can see the visual appeal of the speed master, but I will never use the tachymeter or in fact any of the functions other than the time and to see a nice watch on my wrist. Another reason I swing towards the GMT - if it's got to have any functions, I'd rather it be ones I would use.

It's funny what you say about the bracelet - it's only subtle, but the Rolex does look more… manly! I'v also noticed, for my eye at least - when I look at the individual components of the Rolex GMT they look awful. Big triangle Second time zone, big outer numbers on the bezel, odd hour markings… but all together it does seem to work. (but still can't abide the date magnifier!)

I'm not against a "pre loved" watch and will have a look at your suggestions. Again, many thanks for your reply.

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

chopard makes some stunning movements.

1 person likes this.
  17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Personally I like the Aqua Terra GMT you posted, the Planet Ocean too, but I can't help feel that the Rolex GMTs and Explorers are just more "classic"; more personality somehow. I get you on the "cyclops" date magnifier - I don't like simple dates anyway - but with the bezel and the rest of the Rolex-ness, it hangs together. And it's just about in your price range - easily within if you'll consider used.

I'd second Dino's suggestion of the JLC Master Home Time, especially as you already like the house style. If you want something dressy and understated, I think that's one of the best looking of the Master series: they can look a little sterile to me, but the asymmetric dial layout on the Home Time gives it some character. I think it's cool, and again, easily within budget for a nearly-new one.

But just a left-field suggestion, if I may: although you said you're aspiring to a slim, subtle, JLC dress watch, you nevertheless picked two colourful and sporty choices from Omega. If you don't fancy pilot watches, don't fancy Rolex, but want something more casual and fun, how about a Panerai? One of the die-hard Paneristi will no doubt dive in here (no pun intended) with a dozen other options and I find their range of model numbers baffling. But there seem to be several within your price range even new, including at least one on a bracelet if that's your preference. Some of them are huge, but not all, and if you want something clean and easy to read, perhaps it's an option?

18. mimo

mimo Senior member

If Chopard were a woman, she'd definitely have booty.

19. Cleav

There's some great advice here ncc, as you already know there is lots on offer. I like mimo's suggestion, but I would owning a Pan. Take a look a couple of pages back to see Ich's Radiomir, I sport a Radiomir too. Well worth considering.

Happy hunting

20. qubed

qubed Well-Known Member

My only concern is that the weight of a Panerai might cause him to slightly roll the plane to the left.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.