The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Also, for the record, I love posting in TWAT. I really, really do.

2. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

We should have shirts made up. "TWAT: Appreciating the finer things in life since 2007"

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:nodding:

4. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

That is obviously a beautiful dial, probably the most iconic blue dial of them all. That said, it isnt actually my favorite shade of blue, I like something a bit lighter and more vivid.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

5. in stitches

those are both great blues. i REALLY like the blue of the AP RO. as well, i have a B&M capeland that has a blue dial i love.

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Ah, that's a really nice example. Thanks for sharing this awesome pic!

The 5711/1A's blue dial is actually mesmerizing because it shimmers and becomes almost green and/or black depending on the lighting. It's really like staring out of a porthole into the ocean, which I suppose was Genta's intent.  You've probably seen the tons of threads around many other forums with people wanting variations of the Nautilus and others adamantly insisting that they'd rather keep the complications-free blue/green dial just to basically behold that divine color free of any perceived clutter.

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

TWAT: "Appreciating the Finer Things in a Warm, Comfortable Environment"

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Bawhawhawhawhawhaw! [​IMG]

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

The Nautilus has to be one of the best one-watches. Either this or the RO. Definitely one of my 'grail' pieces. I like that the Nautilus is the road less travelled as well. That always appeals to me. I do not think I would get any variation, I honestly think that yours is the best.

This would be the other one I would consider strongly:

[​IMG]

10. in stitches

id rather one of each. after all, 2 grails are better than 1.

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

Nice to know that anytime in the day (at work) I can get deep into TWAT. Mmm hmm. Mmmmmm.

I don't know, I'm sort of "over" the time-only Calatravas. Let me elaborate.

I understand that there is a lot of love for them out there but with the cumulative price rises over the last 10 years it just doesn't make any sense to me anymore. Sure you get a nice "classic" time-only dress watch, but for $20k to >$25k? Doesn't make sense to me - and in a sense it's qualitatively no different from that platinum Daytona. I can still remember a time when you could pick up a "basic" Calatrava for just over $10K from your dealer.

The watch hasn't changed. The movement certainly hasn't changed. Nothing's changed. The Calatrava of today is no "better" than the Calatrava of yesterday, and TBH there are a ton of alternatives out there that are in some ways more interesting from VC, GP, Piaget, etc.

Also let me state something which I have mentioned before - there appear to be "classes" of PP finish. You are not buying anything near the most finely finished PP, let alone the most finely finished watch, for your >$20k. Think about what $20-25K will get you from, say, JLC.

I'm pretty sure that platinum, especially in its usual alloys, is actually softer than 18k gold. (yes, I've been doing some reading sitchy... :embar: )

Now that's a nice watch! Just added it to my hitlist.

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I'm going to PM Greg and ask if the TWAT thing was intentional.... I know he has been too busy for SF lately, but he really needs to read today's content.

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The ice blue is great. For ladies. Although last night I dreamed about that girly blue platinum Daytona that I had been ridiculing just hours earlier. Maybe I'm a closet lover of ridiculous effeminate watches?

In the mean time, back to the subject of proper manly blues, I saw this and thought of you. Happy birthday.

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

apropos, I actually completely agree with you regarding pricing for Calatravas. And I personally would never buy a time-only complications-free Calatrava for more than $10-$12K actually. Neither would I gun for a new model that may not be available without a discount - want to make sure secondary market pricing settles in well before I pull the trigger on anything.

Doesn't prevent me from drooling a bit over this new 5227! [​IMG]

Video here profiling the 5227:

But on that note, what do you think of the $20-$25K pricing - even for pre-owned pieces - for the stainless steel Nautilus line?

15. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

Thats my absolute favorite GP as well. Such a lovely watch...absolute perfection if you ask me. I loce the cream dial with the blue and gold arabics.
    for most of my watch collecting years, every one of my watches cost more than my car until this year. :embar: PRIORITIES!
    :lol:
    thats a strong contender for my next purchase. Ive been tossing around the idea of clearing out the remaining watches i have and kopping this.
    sound advice stitchy!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.