1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

The day ends at midnight. I just returned home from playing in a golf tournament...the beauty of living in Florida.

As it stands right now my ranking is
    1A) Rolex Submariner
    1B) Chopard
    2) Rolex Presidential

I plan to make a final ruling by 10PM between Chopard and Rolex.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

nice!

id go sub. ymmv. :)

3. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

I have ruled the Chopard out for now. I think it's going to be the Submariner. The only question left...do you think a Sub would work with a brown leather strap? Either way I am going to lose the steel band in favor of a softer look of leather.

4. in stitches

That is totally up to you. I quite like the metal bracelet, but if you like the way it looks with something else, go for it. Plus you can always switch it back later if you want to.

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

CTL - I've only ever seen Sub's on bracelets or a nato strap. Maybe you can change the TWAT mindset that a Sub can look good on leather.

6. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

I think it does work with certain vintage subs....something with patina, maybe a chocolate dial...yes.

But for the most part, I think bracelet for newer models.

7. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Saw a vintage red sub on a leather strap today at the pop up flea in soho. It worked.

8. mimo

mimo Senior member

If you like that sort of thing, one Sub that would work on a strap is a gold one...maybe?

9. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Nah. Bracelet all the sub way imho

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Nato works just fine for me.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. in stitches

12. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

The steel bracelet is just too cold and common for me. I just want something a bit different. No offense to those who like the steel. I am thinking something like black, or brown alligator or ostrich. Something with texture.

13. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Hey, knock yourself out, CTLION. Absolutely. Try some different combos. That's one of the more entertaining aspects of this hobby.

But I guess it's the incongruity of a modern dive watch on brown gator, (for instance) that just throws me off a bit... and I'm a huge fan of brown gator straps. Again, I think it's different when you've got a vintage piece, or one that definitely will not be seeing any time in the water whatsoever.

Regardless of you come up with, post some pics for us.

I'll be open minded, I swear. :D

On the topic of brochures, (and Rolex) I just got this little trifle in the mail from my AD:

[​IMG]

I think he must know that I'm still jonesing for one of these:

[​IMG]

14. mimo

mimo Senior member

Just noticed your sig....hmm!

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

CTLION have you pulled the trigger???

Keith T - the holidays offer so many temptations... My willpower is fine... It's my "won't power" that needs improvement.

The Nautilus was designed by Patek to be a sportier watch. But can it withstand the rigors of gingerbread house construction with a four year old? We shall see.

[​IMG]

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

4 people like this.
  16. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

I'm not in the market to purchase but hope to be in the next several months (can someone say wedding gift? [​IMG]). What are the opinions on the various Omega Speedmaster Professional models?
    1) 3570.50 --> hesalite crystal, steel back
    2) 3572.50 (discontinued) --> hesalite crystal, sapphire display back
    3) 3573.50 --> sapphire crystal, sapphire display back
    4) 3592.50 --> hesalite crystal, sapphire display back (gold gilt movt.)

17. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir.

18. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

To me the 3570.50 maybe more historically correct due to the hesalite crystal and steel back. However the sapphire crystal works better for me, and there are few things better than having the ability to get a good look at this movement.

[​IMG]

19. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

What's good my TWAT friends, hope all is good. So I am surprised this has not been mentioned yet, but I figured I would bring it into the thread. As we all know, SIHH is around the corner, and some brands have started to show some of the new 2014 novelties. One that really popped was this bad boy:

[​IMG]

Below is a nice report done over on TPP:

http://alang.watchprosite.com/show-...hne-grand-lange-1-moon-phase-the-full-report/

So this is the new Grande Lange 1 Moonphase. I guess it is the big brother of the other Lange 1 Moonphase:

[​IMG]

The new GL1M is really quite beautiful in my opinion. The moonphase disc is a thing of beauty, and looks spectacularly made. However, I am a big reticent about the 41mm size. However, it is supposedly very thin.

My take--I really, really like it. I think it is quite gorgeous, and is a bit unexpected. I love the giant moonphase. But then, I am a sucker for giant moonphases. Although it is a bit bigger than I would like, I love the fact that Lange makes good use of the large case size.

As for the Speedy--I love my 3750.50. It is as close to the original as it gets, which is important to me.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

That Lange does look good Newcomer, thanks for sharing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.