The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

My last post here in TWAT was about my 1960s vintage Valjoux 88 chrono. So yes, I am joking.

I was posting from the - rather simplified - point of view of some potential customers for these Rolexes. Rolex has the unique situation of almost being a proprietary eponym synonymous with high-end, expensive luxury watch. For people with no interest in watches and more sense than money, the type of signal owning a Rolex sends is highly desirable. It can be understood by a lot of people in the general public, whereas a Lange or even a Patek doesn't communicate the same thing.

2. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

eggsactly.

aslo...how ya liking that chrono?

3. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

I rather suspected that, but not being a regular on this thread, and having seen the depradations perpetuated on other threads by the ilk of HermesMan, you can never quite be sure. Maybe I should stick to shoe threads. :)

The terrible thing is that sodding ugly Rolex will sell like hot cakes to a certain kind of person.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

kungapa - well said.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

5. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I was just being a dick....definitely not trying to make you feel unwelcome. Hope you stick around...this is the best thread on the forum. ;)

6. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

7. in stitches

very nice indeed. GP, as has been said here, is often under appreciated. well, at least flies mostly under the radar.

8. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

No offence taken at all. I'm a bit of a closet wristwatch enthusiast, and have been dipping in and out of this thread for ages without posting on it before.

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

That is the beautiful thing about this thread, is that everyone communicates honestly and tries (mainly speaking of myself) to communicate intelligently. This thread is like the hidden gem of SF.

:slayer:

You know, I was just thinking the same thing when I saw it this morning. I think that this is a step in the very right direction for GP. From what I remember reading, it is clocking in at ~40mm, and 11mm thick. I love the aesthetics of the 1966 line, but I feel that GP can be a bit oversized at times. It is nice to see them issue such a beautiful, classically designed chronograph.

I kind of feel sorry for GP. I feel like they are kind of the black sheep of the top tier. I feel like GP would do better if they dropped down a half a tier, or issued some more steel offerings. I am sure this thing is going to be priced fairly extravagantly, and I just think I would go for PP, AL&S, or VC at the price range I am sure they will be asking.

10. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

It is fantastic. Hasn't left my wrist since - though my girlfriend keeps trying to borrow it. It has gotten me hooked on vintage chronos though - might be a gold one in my collection sometime in not too long.

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

This one:

[​IMG]

The PP is elegant, but I wouldn't need the chrono function where I would wear it.

12. in stitches

really?

13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Yep. Also I wouldn't be completely surprised at an outlier offer for an EZM1 for similar money nowadays if you can find one at all.

14. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

A pretty underrated brand indeed.

In fact, beside the MontBlanc Rieussec, they make one of my favorite chronograph of all time. Cream dial, domed crystal, great size :embar:

I had a chance to buy this a few months ago. I'm still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger. It is a relevantly rare watch, you just don't see them for sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

15. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I like the bigger one. I'd like it better if it were the same size as the smaller one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.