1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robw

robw Senior member

I don't have a large wrist but I have no problem wearing my Daytona, Sub or even larger watches I own.

You can wear a Sub with a suit but its not my favorite look and I am a fan. If you don't mind that, from your list then, I would choose the sub. It is is really one of the iconic watches, never goes out of style and will always hold its value relative to most other watches.

As for the reverso, I own a duo and I love it, but unlike a Sub, its not really good if you want to wear it for any kind of activity. The case has popped when I applauded vigorously at games and I couldn't bear to scratch it up doing chores around the house.

Ultimately though, it about getting what you love, so do that and enjoy.

2. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

If I go with the Sub, I am thinking about dropping the stainless steel band for a alligator black band. Where do you track one down? I went to the Rolex dealer yesterday and she said they only come in steel.

I am hoping to make the final decision by the weekend.

3. robw

robw Senior member

Rolex AFAIK does not offer it that way

You can find info all over the internet and either you or most jewelers can swap them out.

I have seen them on rubber, carbon, kevlar, leather alligator etc.. I can't say the look is to my taste, but each to his own.

4. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

IMO, the oyster is just too perfect to take off...especially the newer bracelet.

5. Tim Williamson

Tim Williamson Member

ST. LOUIS COUNTY • Two Michigan men were charged today in an armed robbery Tuesday of a Rolex watch from an Ellisville jeweler.
    Stefan A. Douglas, 23, and Treymane A. Kinsey, 19, both from the Detroit area, were charged with second-degree robbery.
    The men were arrested after a police chase that ended in the suspects crashing in Chesterfield.
    Police say the incident began about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday when one of the men asked a clerk to see a Rolex watch, then grabbed the watch and tried to run from the store. Another clerk tried to push the robber back into the store, then chased him into the parking lot and tackled him. Police said the clerk backed off when the man threatened to kill the clerk.
    They'll probably have a lot of time to think this over. CLICK HERE FOR FULL ARTICLE

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Rolex ONLY sells the Submariner on a metal bracelet ( in steel, or steel & gold, or all gold). So you can buy it, take the bracelet off, and buy a strap and buckle, but that's all on you and nothing to do with Rolex. Your other alternative, is look for a used Sub where the bracelet was removed and never replaced/lost and its already on a strap. But that's generally on much older pieces.

7. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

Question regarding the best watch for the occasion.

My job takes me to the Caribbean, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Central America and South America. What is a suitable watch to wear that doesn't scream rob me? I will already be wearing a suit, but a Rolex for instance is kind of a flashing beacon.

I have some watches from my high school graduation...really nothing nice...like Swiss Army watches, but while they are durable they look odd with an Italian suit.

8. Flake

Flake Senior member

I had a Piaget Quartz for a long time. It had a nicely decorated movement, interestingly. It was nice to just pick it up and put it on without having to set it. But you couldn't predict when it would die, and that was pretty inconvenient. I sold it a few years back and honestly don't miss it. Much.

9. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I like the Rolex Explorer or Airking on a plain strap, basically avoid the cyclops and oyster/jubilee bracelet. They can spot that from a mile away. How about a pilot watch, like the IWC Mark XV/XVI?

The Hamilton khaki series is pretty nice too if you're on a budget.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Sinn 556 is another option too :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  10. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I like the Tissot "Le Locle" is a great value too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i would agree.

but some prefer leather/nato/whatever, and for those folks, you have to buy aftermarket.

12. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

So I was flipping through the December issue of WatchTime this evening, and noticed that one our TWAT brethren made his way into the publication, so to speak:

[​IMG]

Insert punchline here :D

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I don't know if I want to pay a no frills price for just a Victrinox :).

1 person likes this.
  14. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

They are on sale this week at Joma Shop :D (true story)

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

CTL, I think if you're a foreigner in a suit in the kind of street where people get robbed, you're standing out enough already! But I'm sure you're right that the Rolex bezel and cyclops are thousand yard advertisements for a visitor worth mugging.

Which goes back to your previous comments about the Submariner: I really, really love the Submariner. And I'm sure the majority of them are worn with suits all the time, just because of the demographic that's able to buy them. But I don't think I would. That sporty bezel is just too casual to me. But then I don't wear loafers with a suit either. So I think Warren's right on the money with the Explorer (1). Unless you're looking for a watch that is much cheaper, then the Hamiltons and Tissots, even Bill's new Seiko (OK, don't fight Bill for his new Seiko, I mean one like Bill's new Seiko),are logical.

Even without your street robbery concern, I was going to suggest the Explorer anyway. You seem to be drawn to the sportier end of dressy, mentioned a few watches with black dials, and you have something much more obviously just for dress in your steel/gold DJ. The Explorer has three things on its side, I think: first that it doesn't have either the bezel or the cyclops that identify a Rolex from a distance to any shiv-packing street urchins. Second, that it's both a sporty Rolex in feel - which you wanted - and yet a proper dress watch. And third, it's the right size for you: a peachy 39mm (and wears small, I think, having tried one on just a couple of weeks ago), or the older models at 36mm. And they are pretty cheap these days if you'll consider used - the Air King even more so.

But if you want a dress watch that even the most hawk-eyed robber won't be able to recognise, then I guess anything with that little crown logo on it is out. So maybe just pick a smart dress watch that doesn't have the brand image. Frankly, if I were a <insert developing economy>-ian gangster, I might just have likely seen ads for Hamilton as Rolex, depending on the country. And for that reason, maybe avoid any maker that advertises heavily e.g. Tag Heuer, Breitling, definitely Omega these days. I'd suggest that if you want a Rolex-or-better type watch, in a dressy style, for a similar price but without the mass brand, maybe a JLC Master Control would fit, or a Glashuette Original Senator.

16. Bill Dlwgosh

I ended up with 3 Seikos. I added 2 Seiko 5s (Green dial and Blue) as they're only $55 and I thought I might like that little bit of colour under a shirt or sweater sleeve on the days I'll be camped out in the coffee shops in my trendy/artsy new neighbourhood. I think they could look kind of 'smart' if I replace the canvas straps with brown calf skin, assuming Jomashop ever processes my pending orders.

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Agreed! They're kind of cool and casual as they are, too. I got one for my son a few weeks ago - cream dial - and kind of wished I'd ordered one myself too! I'm sure they'll look great on a strap like you said. Look forward to seeing them.

1 person likes this.
  18. Bill Dlwgosh

Me Too :)

19. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

CTL, Mimo summed it up nicely but I want to offer one watch and another brand to check out. The Cartier Tank Solo is an option is you want a different style. The only thing is that the watch does scream Cartier if thieves know what to look for. Another option is Panerai. Are they large? Yes. Are they a dress watch? No. Would it look ok with a suit? Depends on your style. Oh and to just pile on, Nomos is another brand to check out.

But I would stay away from anything with a cyclops. Even though cheaper brands have them, it screams take a closer look as this could be a Rolex.

Good luck with your choice!

1 person likes this.
  20. no frills

no frills Senior member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

HAAAAAHAHAHAAHAAAAA!!!!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.