The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

I hope it's not the 44mm Daytona that someone from the IWJG was so sure Rolex was going to announce.

2. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Press Release: Rolex releases new McMansion-Dweller model

April 24, Basel, Switzerland

Rolex SA, former producer of semi-tasteful watches, has just announced a model which is expected to do well with in the economically important demographic of overweight suburbanites.

The new McMansion-Dweller is expected to help satisfy the market's demand for a watch that's suited to the challenges faced by today's oversized consumer. Not only does it incorporate an advanced 905L steel (over 50% more resistant to buffalo-wing and BBQ sauces), but it also features an imposing 45 mm diameter for easy legibility even when vision is diminished by shortness of breath brought on by cramming in those last few handfuls of nachos. The increased surface area allows for extra bling, which is useful in attracting the attention of chain-restaurant and sports-bar staff at the local strip mall, and confirming one's status as a true baller when the luxury SUV is out of view.

The announcement is not entirely surprising, given their history of releasing ever-shinier and -larger versions, but the new McMansion dweller breaks new ground in the race to capture the fleeting attention of the modern energy-drink-addled imagination. Chet McClusky, marketing manager of Rolex's expanding-customer division said: "This new watch is both dope and sweet, yet super classy. It's just as awesome for wing night at Hooters as it is for idling in traffic... HEY LOOK, IS THAT A SQUIRREL!?"

Rumours of a younger-consumer-oriented version, tentatively dubbed the "Frat-Master" are as yet unconfirmed.

3. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Not as bad as I feared!

[​IMG]

Platinum Daytona with ceramic bezel (40 mm)
    Steel Blue/Black GMT (40 mm)
    Steel Yacht-Master II (44 mm)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yes, it is not so bad! Pass on the new Daytona though. By 40mm they mean 38.5mm as you measured it, right?

These models clearly are "just as awesome for wing night at Hooters as (they are) for idling in traffic!" [​IMG]

5. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

6. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I am kind of intrigued over the new GMT. Bicolored Ceramic bezel will be quite something to see. I do not understand the Daytona though, nor have I ever really understood the Yachtmaster II.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

8. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Interesting line up. Still nothing I would buy.

Thank goodness because I'm leaning towards the Omega DSOM and there's only so much my wife can handle right now..

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The GMT is far more appealing in Newcomer's pic. I rather like it. But this whole baby-blue-on-platinum kick is doing nothing for me...it's pretty, but only for girls.

10. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Damn guys, I'm kinda torn... I'm actually thinking about switching my regular GMTc to the new model. Hopefully the price difference isn't so huge.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Yeah, I think the GMT is rather cool. Bicolored bezel would have been better though!

I think the Daytona looks absurd. Nothing screams "50th Anniversary" better than a different metal, a different dial color, and a different bezel color than the original! And I don't even want to know the price of it...

12. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Mafoo would love this

[​IMG]

13. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

oh damn. i think i may love that. even moreso than my current GMTc.

14. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I know right!! And I looooove my GMT.

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i think the daytona is hideous. not even sure why, but i think that model looks dumb, and that saying something because i have always loved the daytona in its many different looks.

the YM2 i am kind of ambivalent about. i never really loved it, and i dont think this strikes me as any worse. i have only seen 1 in person and i thought it was actually quite cool.

the new steel blue/black is faking awesome. i LOVE it. would love to have that on my wrist right now. anyone have pricing info?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.