1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

So now you guys know what watch I'll be wearing to NYC.

1 person likes this.
  2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thank you for the kind words about our little sub-forum. I have said this many times, but I think it deserves repeating--money really should not be a bar to enjoying excellent, finely made timepieces. I think that everything is worth discussion, and there are many horologically interesting pieces that are in the affordable category that deserve to be praised. I am glad you have felt welcome here. I look forward to your participation. I haven't acquired a watch in almost a year now, but I still stop in here every day to at least keep up with what is going on. I think picking up this Seiko was a wise move, because now you can really determine what speaks to you, and what you want out of a watch.

I hope you enjoy your new watch. And... we better see some pictures!

Wow great news! Congratulations, that is a very large accomplishment for you and your brand. I can't wait to see some pictures. As always I wish your brand the best, it is great to have you part of this community!

Nice! I am really excited to see it. I think I will likely bring my Speedmaster. Traveling with my MUT Moon makes me a little nervous :embar:

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Great to see you back Warren! Thanks for the reply, I have been waiting patiently all this time :D

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  4. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Figured it be more interesting to see something a little different, plus, it's not like I have Frilly's collection to choose from...

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Finally caught up from the Holiday weekend here in TWAT-land.

Bill - Congrats on the pick up. Even though it is a Seiko, you put a lot of time into the decision which is always applauded here.

Warren G - Great looking Tudor and GMT!

Frilly - Instagram before TWAT spoils the surprise. I need to start looking here first!

Dino - Very interesting VC. You are the TWAT non-round watch reference guide. The melting watch from a month or two ago (Cartier?) was an interesting piece as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

The Cartier Crash is so incredibly cool. I showed it to a lady friend who is interested in watches... she did NOT get it at all.

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Not a lot of Cellini love out there, that is true. But I did own one is rose gold and it is one of the few of my departed pieced that I would really love to have back. [​IMG] Were I buying a gold Chopard, it would not be the Mille Miglia. I'd look at somethig like the LUC XPS

8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i would go for a nice gold reverso of the models you mentioned. some of the cellinis are small iirc, make sure to try on first if you go that way. hard to argue with a gold pres. great faking watch.

dont be a wimp. wear that bad boy proud!!

---

thanks for the kind words, bill. very glad we have behaved well. enjoy the watch!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

I think my wrist maxes out at 40mm. And to be quite frank a 36mm seems to look best. My current Rolex and the next watch will still be worn 90% of the time with a suit. I tried on the Rolex Sub yesterday and it was quite bulky with my suit. I am sure I could come around to it.

I like the Reverso but I have not located a shop that carries them around me. I prefer to try on every watch I am considering. I would lean toward the Reverso with the double sided time piece...black face/white face.

Either way I will go through a dealer.

10. in stitches

FIND A JLC AD THAT HAS MAOR REVERSOS!!!!

what size are the cellinis you are looking onto? also, not sure this matters to you, but the cillinis are a much harder resell ime.

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

I loved this note and especially enjoyed that you like the TWAT community. It's no coincidence that many crazy smart guys (whom I've gotten to know personally, because they're crazy cool people too) frequent TWAT far more often now than any other watch forum. Good peeps here (except for stitchy - who is uber-good). [​IMG]

The Instagram habit is enabled by the damn mobile phone. I suppose I can access TWAT just as easily via TapaTalk too, but Tapatalk tends to crash on me sometimes. Weird.

My wrist is only 6.25" and most of my watches are 36mm. I do have a "40mm" Daytona but in reality (as measured specifically by TWAT members here too) it's only 38.5mm, so I actually think it wears a little smaller than a Sub. You've got to make it work for you.

Did you mean you prefer going through an authorized dealer versus a grey market dealer?

2 people like this.
  12. in stitches

very cool idea, but for ballers only i think. even at 450 a month that is 5400 a year. you get get a nice 5 figure watch pre owned for that. but i guess if you like a lot of variety, dont want to deal with buying and selling, or just need for looks in common baller company... its a very nice service.

if i was rollin, i would definitely consider, depending on the selection.

13. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

What is a grey dealer?

14. mimo

mimo Senior member

I just looked at the selections. I can see they know their target market i.e. posers! So much show, but there are literally one or two out of every watch there, that I would actually want if I had the money. And the most obvious pick is the Sub, or maybe the JLC - both in the cheaper collection. That's not to say any or all of the others are not good. It's just they are so much less beautiful than others in their price range - just more noticeable.

I'm sure they'll do great. Plenty of guys wanting to wave a gold Hublot at the other brokers.

15. in stitches

dealers that sell brands BNIB that they are not authorized dealers for. they usually buy overstock from ADs around the globe who have a hard time moving things and need to sell to maintain their numbers so they dont loose the line. stuff like that.

officially the brands do not like or allow this, but on some level, i think everyone benefits. maybe, idk, hard to say, and there are pretty staunch positions on both sides.

16. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

CTLION: definitely what stichy said....try to find an AD to check out Reversos in person. Sounds like with your wrist size, a Duo would be just what the doctor ordered.

Also, stitchy just gave a decent summary about what gray dealers are, but I would add that some are more respected than others. I won't name any names here, but many offer their own warranties (since they can't offer the manufacturers') and there are definitely plenty of happy customers out there, although I've never purchased from a gray myself.

Now.....renting watches: I just can't see it. There may be a market for that, but ... I.... just. Can't. See it. (Not for me, at least. It would be like renting a tux. Prefer to buy.)

Dino: really enjoyed your dinner photos there a couple pages ago. Great VC. You should post more pics!

On the subject of Cellinis, there have been a few that I admired in the case, but none of them ever looked great on my wrist. And like many, I would still favor Rolex for sport watches rather than dress. YMMV.

Warren G: welcome back.

QFT, mimo.

Back to the office grind and wearing this today:

[​IMG]

17. no frills

no frills Senior member

Hey Keith! Good to see ya back!

Haha I was offered membership for this one. Fun. But +1 to your point about actually spending so much on an annual basis that you'll end up paying out as much as it would cost you to own a great piece. Guess it really caters to the need for diversity, if you're that type.

As to mimo's point - well, yeah. If their most impressive pieces are on display via their website then it's not for me. Or for many TWAT members I think. Aesthetically, not just in terms of affordability.

They will, however, probably do ok with their target market I think.

Today - boring white shirt, solid navy suit. 3940P on navy strap:

[​IMG]

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

2 people like this.
  18. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Keith : great watch man! Reminds me of one of my favorite Hamilton, the Boulton.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Lovely 3940!!! Beside the 3970/5970, that is my favorite PP hands down. :slayer::embar:

x2!!!

The NYC GTG sounds pretty fun. Also please don't forget to take some pics :foo:

Most of the Cellinis are pretty small. Top of my head, I believe the Danaos XL is the largest at 38mm (perfect size imo).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.