1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Senior member

Bots?

Anyway, Bill, I get you - I'm in a very similar boat. Except I didn't make any money this month! Or what I did, I already spent on cloth for a new dinner suit and a large number of horn buttons for the cloth I already have. Because. Apart from needing clothes that fit me, after having effectively gone out of business twice in the last three years, I feel the need for a little joy back, and new clothes always help. So will new watches. I've a feeling you might have been through the mill yourself in the last few years.

The thing is, even at a few dollars, I think a proper watch is worth appreciating. I was really pleasantly surprised by the joy I got from a $200 Seiko. That I liked it so much was also part of the reason I cancelled the Stowa: it's just not enough of a step up in the same function and style. I mean, it looks fabulous and I'm sad I'm not getting it. But deep down I know that it's also a stepping stone to a Sub or a least a Black Bay in that category, so I might as well wait for that. And there are so many others - another dress watch, something sporty but not dive-y, etc., etc.

So my point is this: if it turns out you really like the Seiko, you might end up not wanting the Junghans at all, as a next step in the same category. It might be worth looking in a different direction to add some variety of style and use instead, or holding out for a bigger leap.

Either way this shit is crack. We are doomed.

1 person likes this.
  2. no frills

no frills Senior member

Love the frankness and honesty in the last two pages of this thread as to why we buy what we buy and why we do what we do. Thumbs up! [​IMG]

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

Rolex today!

[​IMG]

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

3 people like this.
  4. mimo

mimo Senior member

This being your watch version of "dressing down"! Those adelaides are beautiful btw, flannel suit looks pretty great too.

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

feel behind over the holiday weekend, so i only speed read the posts in the past few days. :(
    wow that is amazing. want want want want.....
    this is stunning. kop now. -- @bill - nice kop. looking forward to wrist shots.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats Bill. I think getting something to hold you over until you possibly go for the Junghans was a good idea. It seemed like there were a few watches you were considering, some being stronger contenders than others. Even if you decide in the end to get the Junghans, you have a watch to wear so now you won't feel rushed into making a decision. You can take you time, shop around, and see if you still feel the same way about the Junghans or see if something else pops up on the radar in the coming weeks. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  7. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Congrats Bill. Good call, enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG]

Dinner out with Mrs. Dino and a RG manual wind VC 1972. A few of the shoe fetish people here might recognize the marlows in the photo below.

[​IMG]
    A quick close up of the asymmetric deployant buckle to mimmick the case shape
    [​IMG]
    One last photo.
    [​IMG]
    Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Break/Weekend.

3 people like this.
  9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Dino, I absolutely love, love, love that VC. Absolutely stunning. Such a dynamic looking watch.

10. in stitches

always a winer that one, dino. shoes too!

11. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Lovely Dino :nodding:

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks Nuke. IMHO, its another great example of VC borrowing and modernizing one of their designs from the past. Women generally don't seem to be watch people, but if I were single, that's the watch I'd wear. It seems to be quite an ice breaker and always draw interest and questions from women. What can I say, another reason to love that watch!

Hate to think my VC is a "Winer" [​IMG]...so I'm going to presume it was supposed to be "Winner", and with that in mind thanks Bro! [​IMG]
    Thanks Cleav, I hadn't worn it in a while and figured it could use some wrist time.

13. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

LOL well I'm a couple hundred pages behind. To make a long story short, my laptop was stolen and I just got it back. I turn it back on, and Chrome still had all my tabs open. I had this question quoted.

While the IWC Portuguese is a really nice watch. But I really did miss my Rolex. So I end up getting a GMTc. I got into wristwatch about 6-7 years ago and I never care for Rolex until they release the GMTc. That sparked my interests in Rolex. That is when I start doing a ton of research. So I end up really appreciating the brand. Unless they release a ceramic Pepsi, my GMTc is a keeper for sure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

That ceramic bezel is gorgeous! :inlove:

15. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I'm also thinking about getting a Cartier Tank Solo automatic soon. That watch has been on my list for awhile now. The Tudor Blue HC is also pretty tempting as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  16. in stitches

Dino, lol, yes I meant "winner".

Great shots, Warren.

17. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

I have narrowed down my search for my next watch.
    In no particular order:
    1) Rolex President Gold with a brown alligator leather band
    2) Rolex Cellini Gold watch on brown alligator leather band
    3) Chopard Gold Mille Miglia on brown leather band

My thoughts...I like gold but don't want it to be overbearing with an all gold band. I imagine my last two choices won't be popular. The Cellini is not a popular watch for. Rolex, but I like the clean slate. The Chopard has been appealing for some time. Finally the gold President looks fantastic on a solid leather band.
    Essentially I need a watch for my brown shoes.

Ultimately I think I will pick one of these three and then go for something sporty next time around.

My runner ups include:
    1) Rolex Submariner- I tried one on today. It is beautiful but I would lose the steel band.
    2) Jaeger Reverso - clean and classic
    3) Omega Speedmaster Moon Phase

18. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

Hey Guys,

I'm just wanting to issue one more 'Thanks' before I stop calling attention to my $64 purchase. The week I spent looking at Joma, Chrono24, EBay, directories and this forum looking for a watch was pretty much spent on the couch next to my GF the social worker. She 'somehow' picked up on my interest in a watch and would have put the Junghans on her Mastercard if I had let her. Instead, bearing in mind her Social Worker's salary I let her spring for the Seiko and for her to see the 'Congrats' coming from guys who own watches worth a year and a half of her income really made her happy.

As appreciated as it has been by me to be able to make use of your collective perspective and as much as I've considered the suggestions and enjoyed the feedback... I've shown her the comments through the thread about this simple little Seiko and where the heavy hitters of the thread might have very easily been watch-snobs you guys have instead been wonderfully welcoming and inclusive and along the way managed to affirm my girlfriend's Christmas gift to me, which is really sort of a sweet little thing when you think about it.

I just thought I'd pass it along that your positive comments and welcoming attitude over such a minor watch have made the afternoon (at least) of a very very nice person. She read through the last couple of pages of TWAT (ahem) and was impressed by the positive energy and sense of community here.

Again, I thank you guys,
    -Bill

4 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Senior member

+1 Nice to know that lovely lady is feeling the TWAT-love. OK, that sounds kind of wrong, moving on....I couldn't agree more re. how positive this thread is for mortals like us. Well, apart from probably ruining our lives. :)

1 person likes this.
  20. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Just to update the 15 or so guys here who've ordered my watch :slayer:, I have excellent news! The Manufactory confirmed this morning that all 100 pieces of the Imperial First Series have been fully completed, and are now undergoing testing and inspection before delivery to me.

Looks like the Imperials will be in time for the TWAT NYC meeting on the 19th :slayer: Can' wait!

The prototype Celadon Leather Watch Case was completed yesterday and looks very, very impressive in the flesh. It is of quite imposing dimensions and provides a secure and beautiful frame for the watch, even as a display piece.

Please contact me also if you wish to commission a bespoke watch strap and have this delivered together with your Imperial(s),

Standby for updates for the Imperials as soon as I hear them... :D

In other news, been meaning to post the rest of my Watches&Wonders photos on here (already posted half of the Vacheron booth photos a few weeks ago), but my darn computer died on me last week. Hang in there while I get some pics up soon. Am heading to SIHH next month too and visiting several watch factories (including one producing stuff for my Swiss brand) and will definitely give you all some drool-worthy material then.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.