1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Kungapa, that's incredible.

2. kungapa

kungapa Senior Member

Thank you! I got it at an absolute steal at the latest Antiquorum auction. The person who valued and investigated the watch clearly didn't know what they were looking at. It was labeled as a "7751" movement, even though it is handwound, not automatic. After a bit of research it would seem it is actually a Valjoux 88 - the moon phase triple date version of the Valjoux 72 chronograph movement. Engraved "MRM 1961".

Will make a great, nice watch to go with suits.

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

That is an absolutely awesome watch. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick it up for? I would love a vintage watch like that. Kind of reminds me of the Universal Geneve tri-compax's that go for, well, way too much money for me to afford!

4. kungapa

kungapa Senior Member

Hammer at $950, total cost including buyer's fees and taxes $1300 or so. It is all publicly available at Antiquorum's website.

I looked at getting a Tri-Compax, but ended up with a Valjoux 88 instead. The tri-compaxes are hard to service, and spare parts are getting harder to come by. The Valjoux 88 is on the Valjoux 72 base, and although no longer in production spare parts are easier to come by and service should be somewhat easier.

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

That's all?! Doubly incredible! I'm deeply envious - I think I could stare at that and fiddle around with it all day. Really, well done - it shows how being patient and putting the time in can pay off.

Erm...but it does look a little big on you, so, you know, if you'd like to get rid of it....[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

6. no frills

no frills Distinguished Member

Lovely, lovely, lovely. It might come as a huge surprise for others here, but I'm a big fan of perpetual calendar chronographs with moonphase!

7. kungapa

kungapa Senior Member

The regular watch auctions are less perfect markets than ebay - especially for lower end watches - so it is easier to get a deal. And no - it is the perfect size, it is only the angle and focal length of the camera that makes it look a little big.

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

No no..it's too...tall..or something....give it to me!

Congratulations :)

9. Newcomer

You should pick one of them up though. I hear they are easy to come by.

10. kungapa

kungapa Senior Member

Thank you! Not quite a PP - though they did have a few of those at the auction too, but the price point ended up a little too high for my current income level. It seems more expensive watches tend to have a more perfect market at the regular auctions, whereas stranger less famous vintage pieces can be had for a steal - this one went even below its estimate.

11. TheTukker

TheTukker Distinguished Member

+2

12. kungapa

kungapa Senior Member

As opposed to Ebay, where cheaper watches typically go at or slightly above fair market value (dang those uninformed buyers and sellers!)

13. Newcomer

They have a Geophysic in one of the lots :drool: :drool: :drool:

I would debate selling my soul for one. I need to think about pursuing a path as a sugar baby.

14. ggtk

ggtk Active Member

So cool!

15. Newcomer

So, what will Baselworld be bringing us this year?

I am hoping that this year we get a Pepsi or Coke GMT. I was reading TRF, and came across a post by Jocke that mentioned the following patent was recently filed by Rolex:

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20130072373

I found this paragraph particularly interesting:

"[0051] If other metals, such as iron, titanium, cobalt, manganese or vanadium are used instead of or in addition to chromium, it is possible to obtain a color other than red. With cobalt or iron, for example, it is thus possible to obtain a blue or green coloration depending on the degree of oxidation. The degree of oxidation is determined by the heat-treatment conditions, in particular the atmosphere present in the furnace."

There is a lot of talk in the patent about a red ceramic. This could be very interesting. I am not too familiar with international patent law, and this patent may go unused for a little while, but there is a chance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.