1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

OK...now we are talking...that Omega just made the list.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Nice pics, NS, frilly and cyc. I hope everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

CTL: there are many versions of that too; that's the smaller (42mm) version with the blue moonphase that I prefer, the moonphase on the newer one is black, and the latest version comes in a monster 45mm-ish case. There's also one like that shown with "broad arrow" blue hands on a white dial, that I suspect you will like. And they are well under your $5k budget.

Roger: me too, and it's only $3k-ish.

Frilly: I'm confused, as the one shown on the Hodinkee review doesn't seem to be melting. And it looks nice. But I can't help ask whether 41mm is unnecessarily big considering the 36mm size of your 3970p. 39mm would have been perfect!

[​IMG]

But yours is platinum and therefore bestest. The end.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  4. no frills

no frills Senior member

I am sure that blue dial will be stunning in person. I'm not sure if I can get over the melting tach aesthetic... especially given its (expected) price tag of around $178,000 (maybe more).

Same with you, Stitchy!

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Ah, this is the original 5270G ("G" is Patek's indicator for "white gold"). It is a lovely piece in person, although I have my quibbles about it from an aesthetic point of view (I don't personally like how they moved the day/night indicator and the leap year indicator down to between 7 and 8 and 4 and 5, respectively; look at how those two subdials are a wee bit below the equator/midpoint, blah blah)... combined with the MSRP of close to USD178,000, well... there is no room for little aesthetic quibbles haha.

The two pics I posted above are literally additions to Patek's website as of yesterday. Only the latest and greatest for TWATters!

http://www.patek.com/contents/default/en/5270G_013.html

http://www.patek.com/contents/default/en/5270G_014.html

Word came out about this revised design for the 5270G about two months ago, and the rumor was that it was for a limited run. Since Patek put it on their website yesterday folks are now wondering whether it really is going to be for a standard run.

The original 5270 was never an incredibly popular piece, for a variety of reasons. It was severely discounted, often going for 25 to 30% off MSRP even from ADs. Now that the original 5270 has been discontinued, there has been an uptick in demand (usual pattern for most - but not all - discontinued Patek pieces). I am not sure how popular this new design will be.

A more detailed discussion here at PSP from the moderator Oliver Weindl, with accompanying pics:

http://patek.watchprosite.com/show-...1-pp-5270g-015-pp-5270g-013-and-pp-5270g-014/

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

How strange to change the actual design so markedly, while keeping the same reference. I actually like those little indicators, although I suppose if one doesn't count well, the leap year indicator subdial on the 3970 is more effective! But overall you're right: the 3970 is just so much neater and better-proportioned. And yours is platinum. Which means bestest. Did I already say that?

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

My own inclination is to keep the "symmetry" across subdials. Two hands in the main dial for hours and minutes, two hands in each subdial on 3 and 9. Just like the 3970 and 5970. Yellow gold 3970 pictured here: [​IMG] Although to be fair, some people prefer the 5270's "cleaner" look (a function of the larger case size and the assignment of the other functions to the "pimple windows" on the lower two quadrants). A matter of preference to be sure, but it always boils down to relative pricing for me. Can't have any quibbles at that price point! ---------------------------- /****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

8. qubed

qubed Well-Known Member

My main issue with the new 5270 (and to some extend the old version) is that it's too unbalanced. With the subdials below the equator, and the melty tachy, it's just so bottom-heavy, which leaves the top half empty. The 3970 was way better balanced.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Such a dangerous progression...but one can reminder her watches can last a lifetime, hold their value better, and some on occasion can appreciate (Mrs. Dino likes the last factor)...shoes if taken care of can last a lifetime,...but they don't hold any value once you've worn them. Not that everything is a value issue...simply helps if you want rationalize [​IMG]

Thanks Bro!

I find the name of the RG funny...Logical One...especially in such an emotionally driven hobby. That being said, they are so different I don't know how you could compare them other than price and the merits of traditional from big name vs. modern design from an indy. I suppose if going by emotions try them both on and see which speaks to you. If going by logic, then the answer is easy 3970 everyday and twice on Sundays. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Hope your wife has a good sense of humor if she reads your posts!

[​IMG]Yummy on all counts! 3940 looks awesome on the blue strap...I love how it pulls a bit of color from the moonphase.

Ah, Mimo you already know my thoughts on independents, so I won't go through the details. I'll simply say, when it comes to service and parts, the something from the big name brands is always easier to deal with. PP, AP, and VC will always service or make parts for any watch they've ever produced no matter how old. Sure its costly, but IMHO there is something to be said for having PP parts in a Patek, AP parts in an AP etc. That being said, from what I have heard AP will restore its own watches, or the watch of another company, if AP deems it a significant/special enough watch to warrant their attention. Not sure what the criteria is for that. Still I would be concerned about having to find someone to make parts if a Logical One has a serious problem should RG fold up in 10 + years.

Also resale value is more of a known factor with a big name company...with an indy, good luck if you tire of it. I don't recall if Akatsuki is the person who said resale value is only a consideration for those that can't truly afford a watch...so I won't bother discussing resale in case he is that guy. Good luck with whatever you decide Akatsuki.

I think the main issue would be parts. Sure someone could make a more common part and get a watch working again if an indy closes. However, on something like a Logical One, that might be easier said than done on an unusual movement. Even the best might find it technically challenging to make very specialized parts for a rare watch. I would think it would be incredibly difficult to get something repaired/replaced to exact specs and tolerances from an outside source on a very special movement...and that says nothing for how its value could be impacted by having essentially aftermarket parts. Again, wishing you luck on your adventure.

1 person likes this.
  10. mimo

mimo Senior member

Thank you for sharing this transparent bit of spam.

If I have a dollar spare, I'll cut out the middle man and buy a piece of shit quartz fashion watch from the petrol station.

Happy Thanksgiving. :)

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Oh I know the name is ridiculous, and that the 3970 is the more rational buy. I suppose I just like the idea of one guy making my watch mostly. I'll probably either do 3970 or 5970 in the end, just flirting with other random ideas.

12. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

I liked the Omega Speedmaster Moon and the Jaeger Reverso but I am leaning toward the Chopard as my second watch. Then follow it with a Rolex Sub, then the Jaeger Reverso but with the double sided watch and then an Omega.

Then again I may see a watch tomorrow I like and everything will change.

Would love a Patek but two things concern me..
    1) I don't want to drop my load on one watch
    2) I don't feel I deserve one yet...this watch virgin needs to get some action first...plus my favorite Patek's are six figures and I am pretty sure my wife would leave me if I even thought about it.

I tell you there is one more watch that I like the look of...it's a Montblanc. I can't remember the name, it has some skeleton features and it runs around $13k.

It seems Montblanc is not well regarded by watch enthusiasts.

13. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ lol.... they do make nice pens!

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Montblanc - some in-house movements, others are ETA Valjoux. No real watch heritage. Charge a lot for plastic resin pens. Just comes off as a cynical attempt to expand into adjacent markets. Buy it if you like it, but won't hold its value and won't achieve any wrist appreciation if you care about that.

Other options include Benzinger: http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/jochenbenzingerwatches.asp if you want something rare and skeletonized (but, obviously, maintenance will involve sending it back and forth). Maybe Armin Strom, Oris or Maurice Lacroix are also options if you are into skeletonized. Not sure there is a JLC or any top tier maker with a skeletonized watch around that price.

16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I guess something else to consider with some Indys, although you can get screwed on the depreciation if you bought a new watch (as its resale would probably not be as strong as Patek), is that some of them you would have actual contact with the watch maker. My friend bought a tourbillon from a small indy for about $130K. He got to correspond with the watch maker, visit the shop and even request of few small changes. So maybe for him that had some value. But if buying an RG preowned, there would be no opportunity for that, although I suppose how much interaction one has with the watch maker at an Indy depends on the company (and even at $130K I believe there were a few things they told my friend that they would not change).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

17. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

In case anyone is curious (I know I had trouble finding info), I dropped off my watch at Rolex in Dallas on October 25th for service and they called on November 26th to tell me that it is ready to be picked up. So it took almost exactly 1 month, which isn't bad. However, this is with a direct drop-off as well.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  18. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Not to quibble, but when did this thread become so shamelessly self-promoting and narcissistic?
    *Sigh*
    #brandwhore #canofworms

19. Superfluous

Does anyone know rough estimates on the full service cost of different brands, particularly the ones below? Most likely an overlooked aspect for most people when buying a watch. I'm curious how the prices vary (and any other info about the servicing).

Breitling
    Cartier
    Patek
    IWC

20. Superfluous

That Daytona is nuts. Isn't that the blue/brown? Not sure I like the colors. I saw on chrono24 that they are selling for $75k?!?!? Is that true in store too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.