1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

As a watch newbie I am trying to figure out my next purchase. I am ranging from sport to business. I just picked up a Rolex Datejust Gold and Steel for my 40th but could use some help with watch #2.

Options thus far...ie watches ai like...

1) Rolex President Gold with black alligator strap (I like the contrast between the gold and black)
    2) 1960's Rolex Submariner on black Alligator strap (the James Bond look)
    3) Omega Speedmaster White Face with black strap (once again I like the white face/black strap contrast)
    4) Chopard Mille Miglia

I would love some opinions and if you want to add some watches to the list I would be more than happy to see if they fit.

2. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Sub, on brown croc strap.

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

Apropos of nothing, I thought I'd just share a comment that my beloved made to me last night: "Do you remember, about a year ago, when I commented that you have an expensive shoe habit? You said "well at least I don't have that dangerous obsession with watches". And where are we now?"

Hmm.

1 person likes this.
  4. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

Going down a similar path myself. My bonus check was unfortunately deposited in our joint checking account. Unfortunate because now I can't hold back a third towards a new watch. My bonuses come every quarter so I may make a direct deposit change for next time. (If my wife is reading this it was a joke...if she is not...it was not.)

2 people like this.
  5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Happy Thanksgiving TWATters - and all such permutations of greetings for today's celebrations!

3940 in platinum today on killer navy strap.

[​IMG]

Close up of the perfect dial.

[​IMG]

Special shout out to mimo and his expensive shoe habit. What is all this talk about regal TWAT status? There is only one that we worship here:

[​IMG]

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yes, you'd be crazy not to choose the 3970. However:

1. I am biased.

2. You will have your reasons for said insanity - which we would love to hear about.

3. And we TWATters love a good dose of insanity every now and then. [​IMG]

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

If that is Your Majesty's wish, then may she soon be your queen. Or concubine, if that's less awkward administratively-speaking. Ask Henry VIII.

I'm waiting for Dino to back you up on Akatsuki's question, with his cautionary tales on dealing with independents. From a practical point of view, the 3970 is just so perfect. But...having looked it up, the RG is insanely special. I guess the question in response is "just how crazy are you?".

CTL, what's your budget? I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions. And also, what was your reasoning (other than "that looks nice", and assuming there was any!) on the DateJust?

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I am pretty crazy, but the long-term maintenance definitely concerns me. Especially since I will probably actually wear the watch a fair amount. Patek will be around for sure, but independents like Dufour, Journe, etc.? I am sure you can find someone to repair them if things go wrong, but it will be another independent and just an iffy and expensive proposition.

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Well, perhaps the middle way is to get something unusual/insane but from a more mainstream maker? Given your previous choice, perhaps something like this?

So far out of my league I'm not even sure it's the same sport. But man, it's lovely:

[​IMG]

10. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

The Gold and Steel Datejust I liked the professional look for my job. I wear a suit 5 days a week and I thought the combo of steel and gold would give me some versatility. It was also a safe choice for a guy just learning about watches.

My budget was $10k but now that my bonus was placed in the joint account the $ is $5000 or less unless I wait 3 months until my next bonus check, which puts me in the new category for some and used for others if I take that route. If something stands out above the rest and above my budget I can always move some of my rather expensive golf antiquities or sell some artwork that I have grown tired of.

I am not sure I am looking for one thing....sport or work...long term I just figure I will buy many watches but aesthetics are a main driver for me as am learning more about time pieces.

11. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I love you use of the unusual/insane dichotomy. The Gauthier Logical One is indeed insane, but very cool. A bit much for my tastes, but I like the Breguet for it's more restrained insanity!

12. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Gimmicky, I know, but I can't get my mind off the new Day-Date(s):

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Happy Turkey day to the Americans around these parts. Hope everyone has a nice day with family. Personally, I am sporting my Speedmaster. A chronograph is always nice for timing things.

And Frills, I think that may be my favorite Patek of yours. So wonderfully balanced, and so incredibly clean.

14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Modest contribution:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. mimo

mimo Senior member

Five very different things, around the five grand mark, all of which I happen to love. In roughly descending order of price:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Beauty.

Lately I've had a hankerin' for a Rolex w/ Jubilee bracelet. Something along the lines of this...

[​IMG]

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Cyc, a friend of mine just got one. I've never liked the fluted bezel, never liked the gold and steel two tone thing, and never liked the Jubilee bracelet. Yet all together...somehow the way it was meant to be.

18. no frills

no frills Senior member

Here we are! The new 5270 perpetual calendar chronograph design from Patek... Available in blue and white dials (soon). What do you guys think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For comparison here is my old model 3970 in a white metal too:

[​IMG]

Okay I guess the angles and rendering offers an unfair comparison. But oh that melting tachymeter at 6.... (Barf!)

19. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Not a fan of the tach, but man do I like that blue dial with the moonphase.

20. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.