1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Senior member

Frilly: your sand-covered Nauti is the epitome of TWAT decadence. This is why you are our king.

Tropics: do it!

Tukker: I like it. It's a nice wearable 40mm case, I love the hands, and for me the big pushers are just fun and sporty. Personality is not a bad thing.

1 person likes this.
  2. suaviter

suaviter Senior member

Going to be in NYC the weekend before for mine and the misses birthdays. Wish I could make it, I'm sure it will be a good time.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Overall a good looking watch. GP is definitely an under appreciated brand. They hold little resale value, so its a brand that makes sense to purchase pre-owned. I'm guessing this watch was presented to someone who worked for Fiat for 30 years (as the brand has been around a lot longer than 30 years).

4. mimo

mimo Senior member

To someone who wasn't important enough to get a gold one! What's great about these is the price, at about $3k unworn in the box, and there seems to be a plentiful supply as they're still being issued.

A step up, perhaps, might be this:

[​IMG]

I had to look this up, but it's the "GP 4946", with a cream dial, of which 500 were made from '99 to '02. It's a touch smaller and arguably even prettier for it, has an in house movement (as opposed to the ETA movement in the "Fiat" chrono), and costs rather more - the one I saw went for $5k, which of course is for a watch over ten years old, not fresh in the box.

Certainly lovely, but then again, there are a hell of a lot of lovely things for $5k. I think I could get over the Fiat thing - I like the stick markers better anyway. :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  5. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Those GP's are gorgeous. 5K seems a bit steep for a 10 year-old GP though, but if it sold, then what do I know?

Agree - try to get it used and save yourself some coin, or at least get a VERY good discount at an AD for new.

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Are all watches where an AD will offer a steep discount on new, better to buy in the 2nd hand market?

I know there are instances where Dino mentions Patek was offering a big discount but is this still true for other steep discount current brands/models?

7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

That GP chrono is gorgeous.

8. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

+10 on that very nice GPs, just looking around now.

Always an education here...

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi JB,
    If I can get a really good discount, then IMHO, there's little reason to buy the same watch 2nd hand. After all you are getting a watch in brand new condition, you get all the boxes & papers, and a full warranty. Years ago my Dad was lucky enough to pick up a few items with such steep discounts it was often the same price or better than some gray dealers, and it was new with a full factory warranty.

That being said, places offering discounts are not as plentiful, and most discounts are not nearly as generous as they used to be. The key thing is to shop around, know the market, and get the watch you can afford and want from a reputable source. Sometimes paying a bit more to a trust worthy source has some value to it, in case there is a problem (and that goes for new or used pieces).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  10. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Oooh...that's a nice one Mimo.

Now we are closer to that cushion-case beauty that someone around here has posted before....paging.... ???....the search function has failed me.

Pretty sure it's only got two subdials, rather than three, but it's also a bit smaller and a really great-looking watch.

11. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

I had a 4946 in black and sold it off to fund another purchase. If I had the cream dial version, I doubt I would ever sell it. Just so classic looking.

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The Cushion shaped GP Chrono belongs to Belligero. Not sure how many pages back it is, but its a beauty.

13. McWu

McWu Active Member

I believe the Fiat GP was commissioned by Fiat directly in a limited run. Still, it's a relatively discreet place to place the branding (as opposed to a Domino's Air King or the like), and I would imagine it's easily polished off. Beautiful watch for a great price, IMO.

14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

most definitely... that 2nd one is just the kind of chrono I could go for.

15. apropos

apropos Senior member

I'll see your GP Fiat chrono, and raise you a GP Ferrari SS chrono!!

[​IMG]

(LOL)

Seriously though, GP makes some nice watches.

16. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Many thanks for all your thoughts and views on the GP Chrono - much appreciated! Apparently, these were indeed offered to people who had worked 30+ yrs at Fiat. A few have been listed lately and just curious what people thought. I am not a big fan of the date window between the 4 and 5, so actually prefer this design.

17. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Nice GPs!

Rose gold JLC for me today. Attending an event at my local AD after work, looking forward to geeking out over watches and have a glass (or two) of champagne :nodding:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    3 people like this.
  18. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very nice, I almost bought that exact piece.

19. mimo

mimo Senior member

Happy Thanksgiving, American TWATters.

Happy Hannukah, Jewish TWATters.*
    NFW! Red hands = tacky. White dial/blue hands = yummy. :)

(*special greeting from peace-loving Muslim folk)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  20. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Would it be crazy to buy a Romain Gauthier Logical One over a Patek 3970? My search for a Dufour has been pretty unlikely and while I realize that the Logical One and a 3970 are completely different watches (as far as such things go), I am attracted to both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.