• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the case size on that beauty? 36-ish?

If you are referring to the Vacheron, it is 35. The only reasons I did not buy it on the spot were that it seemed small on my wrist and I don't care for gold watches. I would have gotten past the size if it was silver.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
It's funny, I don't wear watches to black tie weddings but I do to other black tie events. Not sure why I do that, maybe subconsciously I feel rude at a wedding for the reasons you mentioned Dino.

I ordered 2 watches from Ben, one of which I'll try as a black tie watch. And when my wife stops spending money landscaping the backyard I'll be on the hunt for a vintage VC for black tie or dressier occasions. Dino, when that hunt starts, expect a PM haha.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny, I don't wear watches to black tie weddings but I do to other black tie events. Not sure why I do that, maybe subconsciously I feel rude at a wedding for the reasons you mentioned Dino.

I ordered 2 watches from Ben, one of which I'll try as a black tie watch. And when my wife stops spending money landscaping the backyard I'll be on the hunt for a vintage VC for black tie or dressier occasions. Dino, when that hunt starts, expect a PM haha.

OMG watch it DLJr, you are about to pass the 100 post mark and become a "Senior Member"!

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
If it wasn't for this and the Ercoles thread I'd be struggling to hit 10. I'm a lurker by nature.

This thread has been beyond excellent though, especially the discussion.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are some collectors out there with really, really, really, really deep pockets...

It might just be me, and I totally understand if anyone disagrees with me, but I find collectors like that slightly disturbing.

I know he takes pains to mention that he tries to wear every watch, but when your collection is 140+ and growing, you're only going to wear any given watch once or twice a year if you rotate them daily.

What I am trying to say in a roundabout way is that past a "certain point" (which varies for each of us), it becomes more about collecting stuff, and less about watches.

I'm not saying that I begrudge him his ability to afford that large quantity of watches (I don't), but that I find it disturbing that he has that many watches. It's like watching an upscale edition of Hoarders, or a grownup (presumably) Big Law/Finance version of a Pokemon card collector.

I can safely say that even if I had unlimited funds I would keep my collection tightly focused, by which I mean probably < 10 (sentimental watches exempted). Every watch wanting to enter this hallowed company would have to knock another one out... Iron Chef style.

... like I said, it might just be me. :satisfied:

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

amazing. now that was a lot of pr0n.

There are some collectors out there with really, really, really, really deep pockets...

lol that is you in 10 years.

If it wasn't for this and the Ercoles thread I'd be struggling to hit 10. I'm a lurker by nature.
This thread has been beyond excellent though, especially the discussion.

this is one of the best threads on SF.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are referring to the Vacheron, it is 35. The only reasons I did not buy it on the spot were that it seemed small on my wrist and I don't care for gold watches. I would have gotten past the size if it was silver.
I'd be surprised if that was truly 35mm. Most vintage Vacheron Ultra Fines (Ultra Thins) have been I believe closer to 33mm. Maybe the dealer was estimating size upward a bit, as anything under 36 is probably a tough sale these days to most men. Its only been since the release of the VC Historique 1955, around last year that they have been making an Ultra Fine watch that is 36mm.

Landscaping sucks...we have to do a little of that this year. I look forward to your PM and sharing some input when your adventure to find a VC begins.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It might just be me, and I totally understand if anyone disagrees with me, but I find collectors like that slightly disturbing.
I know he takes pains to mention that he tries to wear every watch, but when your collection is 140+ and growing, you're only going to wear any given watch once or twice a year if you rotate them daily.

What I am trying to say in a roundabout way is that past a "certain point" (which varies for each of us), it becomes more about collecting stuff, and less about watches.

I'm not saying that I begrudge him his ability to afford that large quantity of watches (I don't), but that I find it disturbing that he has that many watches. It's like watching an upscale edition of Hoarders, or a grownup (presumably) Big Law/Finance version of a Pokemon card collector.

I can safely say that even if I had unlimited funds I would keep my collection tightly focused, by which I mean probably < 10 (sentimental watches exempted). Every watch wanting to enter this hallowed company would have to knock another one out... Iron Chef style.
... like I said, it might just be me. :satisfied:

im honestly not sure where i stand on this. i am sure that with unlimited funds my collection would be far more than 10, of that i have no question. whether or not it would hit 150+ is a good question. i could definitely see myself with those amazing and beautiful watch winding curio cabinets, the ones with outstanding woodworking and inlaying.... and i could see them filled with a vast assortment of timepieces. but, admittedly i do have an addictive personality and a compulsion to own things i find pretty. or, i could see myself with 30 or so watches i love, and buy and sell watches from the collection as my interest in different pieces waxes and wanes.

i do think that the compulsion to buy 6 or so of the same model watch in different dial/bezel/strap combinations is odd, and i dont really relate to that at all. it does seem to lean hard towards the side of strictly collecting, but that does not bother me. to each their own. some people collect stamps or art or cars or baseball cards. i still have boxes of cards at my parents house. while he clearly has a leaning toward collecting, only a watch lover could collect like that, and i would speculate that its both about a love for watches and a personal predisposition towards collecting. i think j leno is very similar with cars, and i would say that is a very comparable situation. and i do believe he is truly a lover of cars

i would not though call it hoarding. to me that is only when one becomes so consumed with having things that it takes over their life to great detriment. now, i dont know this guy, but assuming his house is not so littered with watches that its a hazard to enter, and assuming he is a functioning person with work and family, i would say it stays in the realm of big money collecting combined with watch love, not hoarding.

also, collections like that can be a form of investment. it will become part of his estate and could bring tens of millions of dollars to his family in the future, or more. now, i dont know the full worth of all his models, or if they are the type to gain value over 20 years + or how well they are all cared for (though they look immaculate), nor can i speculate what that money would be worth if held as an investment, and would the investment be successful, but its certainly plausible that its a net gain for his estate. its all speculation, but its not out of the question.

i know that there will be many opinion on this, and this is just mine.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting points of views, guys. The one thing that blew my mind was that all this was done in only 3 years! Perhaps even less! I mean, this collection is in its infancy, to say the least. It is also small by way of the fact that Lange does not have *that* many models. Thank goodness he chose Lange rather than Patek as his favorite.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... like I said, it might just be me.
satisfied.gif

I agree with you. I have 7 watches right now and when I acquired the last one I traded one out (which was never worn much).

Again, no judgments per se - we're all free to do what we want with our money. But, as stitchy noted above, with unlimited funds it's hard to say how behavior and predilections will change.

Coldcava

Reaction score
I just got an S7 at the beginning of the year - both the S6 and S7's are awesome cars.

Pull

The

Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads