The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

HAHAHAHA I forgot that I posted that photo. Thanks for the reminder, mimo!

The 3970P is a fairly recent acquisition and for the record, I did trade out one piece that my wife didn't wear at all to defray the cost. I am not a big believer in keeping a watch unworn - especially the ones that go for eye-watering prices. At least once a week or maybe start thinking about giving that thing to someone who will love it more!

Also, the guy who sold me the 3970P was standing at a corner in NYC, opened his trenchcoat, and just offered me a deal I couldn't refuse.....

[​IMG]

2. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Haha I couldn't resist Frills.

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I call first dibs on loving it more!

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i dont think i will ever have the need for a black tie watch, but i have always wanted a thin gold watch like that for my dressy occasions.

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

See, I have always been of the belief that one should not wear a watch with black tie.

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

That's the traditional approach, but I don't go anywhere without a watch. So if the occasion calls for black tie, the watch will be simple, elegant and understated.

7. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Black tie was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

For me originality is crucial on watches (and vintage cars). A watch or car is only original once. If you change something, you may or may not be able to get an original part later. For me if something was severely damaged and I still wanted to use it or it had sentimental value, and I had to get replacement parts I would try to get NOS parts first, maybe aftermarket if I had not choice, but then yes I would replace the parts so that it would still be wearabl/useable. However, I would never buy aftermarket parts to save myself some money. If original parts cost more, maybe I would have to save up depending on my income and the cost, but thats just how I am. When buying, collecting, or servicing, we have to do what we are comfortable with. I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to condition, originality, service so those are areas where I am not flexible. But some would say that is a fault with me...and that I could have more "toys" if I weren't such a stickler for certain things. Then again, sometimes its the search to get the most perfect item possible (with all documentation) that makes the chase part of the fun.

I have never bought anything expensive on Ebay. I'm just not comfortable with buying a big ticket item there. But thats just me lots of people are very happy with their ebay purchases.

Thanks for the kind words and I may take you up on the fine shoe advice someday. BTW, I really like how you have incorporated your love of shoes into your accessories...nice cufflinks.

9. in stitches

than what will you look at to not be bored to death while you are there?

that is lovely.

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

I would have felt let down if you hadn't responded to that post of mine about "watches slipping discreetly into your cuff" hahaha! It is like a tradition of ours now!

Speaking of "not being able to resist," here are a few more pics. How could I resist when my 3970P showed me her perfectly proportioned subdials and silky smooth platinum case?

[​IMG]

And when she turned around and showed me her display back, as if she was wearing ultra-sheer Lululemon yoga pants, well, I was done for!

[​IMG]

At first I was unsure of whether 3970J would feel uncomfortable sharing me with 3970P, but fortunately we are in an accepting, open relationship.

For the shoe enthusiasts, in this thread, here is a pic of me figuring out whether it was better to wear 3970J or 3970P with my new pair of Corthay Arcas (in lie de vin or "the color of wine" - I love how the burgundy and black swirl around the shoe - Pierre Corthay does masterful work with this).

[​IMG]

And what did the wife have to say about all this? Well, she borrows my 3970J quite often. And, less than an hour after I brought the 3970P back home, it was already on her wrist!

[​IMG]

11. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

A variant of this model is my grail dress watch. Vacheron knows how to do ultrathin. The version I like is the Extra-plate in white gold. It is otherwise very similar, and has an applied Maltese Cross but printed hour markers. I posted it very early in this thread.

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

The only time I really wear black tie is during the Mardi Gras balls, and they are not normally very boring! Largest black tie event in the world!

Personally, anytime I will be dancing I try to avoid wearing watches. My arms are reckless as is when 'getting down,' without worrying about a chunk of steel attached to it.

RIP Pumps :(.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

36mm is really a great size in terms of making a watch quite versatile. A Rolex Datejust or Explorer 1 in 36mm cases are great examples of versatility.
    Your 3970 is a stunner! However, IMHO, it just doesn't work for me as a casual watch with a T-shirt. I think it can be worn with casual or business casual but the T-shirt is just far too casual. The white metal is more understated than yellow, and yes a chronograph is often a sporty complication, however I find its overall look, thin bezel, perpetual calendar function, delicately marked dial, and the history of its predcessors such as the 2499, just pushes it too far over the line to really work as a casual watch with a T shirt and jeans. The T-shirt and jeans look just works better with your Ex1, Daytona, and Nautilus. If your watch was simply a Patek Chronograph, then maybe I could better see it with a t-shirt, but even then I think it would look better with a long sleeve shirt with collar or polo shirt when wearing jeans. I just don't think a 2499 would look good with a t-shirt and jeans and the 3970 is quite similar, but more modern. When I see your "Classic Frills" T-shirt pose with the 3970, my first thought is you are not finished getting dressed [​IMG] Still its a fantastic watch and its always a pleasure to see your Pateks in photos.
    They got everything correct with the 5050. The 5059, the chopped date is a compromise forced adding the printed minute track with a ring around the top and bottom of the Roman hour markers. So while not perfect in design, I can understand it. The 5496 is overall very nice watch, but the dial is too barren, and it makes no sense not to restore the dates when they have an overal larger watch and dial, and they have gone back to hour and minute markers that are the same as on some of the 5050s. There is plent of room to give the 5496 full dates, but they chose not to. While I wouldn't kick it to the curb if someone gave one to me, its design does not sit well with me.

14. in stitches

ahhhh, that makes sense. i do not like having a watch on when dancing either. especially with a leather band.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

No, I agree completely. If going to a black tie event or a very dressy event I stick with a simple a time only watch. No complications to distract from the simplicity of its design or my appearnance.
    +1
    Technically, I've heard it explained that you should not wear a watch to a black tie event because you are supposed to be having such a great time that you would not check your watch to see how long you have been there...and to do so would be rude. Sadly, plenty of black tie events can put one to sleep...so I can see how a few complications would be a good way to quietly amuse oneself.
    Perfect watch for a black tie event if one is going to wear a watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.