1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

im on it! :)

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

no frills on Instagram = :nodding:

Stitch... I may be on a similar quest as Moo sometime next calendar year. Thanks again for your help answering my questions with regarding the last purchase.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  3. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

4. in stitches

any time, pal. hit me up at your leisure.
    ---
    moo, got your PM. not replying yet, i want the notification of the unread PM to remind to make some calls tomorrow.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Bings, the platinum Daytona's bezel is only available in ceramic. So I'm guessing if you tried on a Daytona with a white metal bezel in the past, then it was either made of white gold or all steel. Wishing you luck with your future Daytona purchase and I hope you'll share some photos of it with us.

6. bings

bings Senior member

now that i recall it was at the Rolex Basel tour a couple years ago and it was a Platinum President... not a Daytona

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  7. mimo

mimo Senior member

^^ I was afraid to say that in case I got it wrong...started typing then thought "best wait for Dino...".

Edit: I get it - was just talking about that. It looks nicer without the blue roman numerals; would be better still with simple sticks instead of diamond nipples IMHO. And maybe a darker blue dial.

On another matter, I saw this a couple of weeks ago. I liked it a lot, in all its forms. What's the grown-up view?

[​IMG]

8. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I love everything but the Roman numerals on that watch. But even so, it's still one of my favorites (but I've become a bit of a GO fanboy).

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

It seems I have a real soft spot for ze Germans in general.

10. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Ah...that explains it.

Thanks Mimo, that made me laugh.

12. in stitches

im no grown up, but id rock it. its beautiful. love the dark and somber vibe it gives off.

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I like that model, although I prefer the white dialed version.

Waiting for Dino to weigh in on his favorite teutonic brand :happy:

1 person likes this.
  14. mimo

mimo Senior member

I just like the way the red leap year indicator looks against the black. Sometimes it's the tiniest details! Not that I don't like the white one, and I've a thing for blued hands - it's lovely, and the gold in the moonphase really pops. The black dial looks incredible with the rose gold case too, just not for me. Come to think of it, off the top of my head I can't think of a steel perpetual calendar with a black dial other than this, at least not that I've seen and drooled over.

And although it's got that German seriousness with its frumpy Roman numerals, no-nonsense case and dark colour, I find the whole thing really quite cheerful; perhaps it's the fat and jolly large-for-dress-watch size, the little relief moon and stars or the slightly quirky mix of hand shapes. But it makes me smile.

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I really like the black moonphase as well. And for a perpetual calendar moonphase, it really is very simple. Quite impressive that it can communicate so much information with so little dial space. And GOs is far and away the best, in my most humble of opinions. With that said, I really dislike GOs second hand. And this is coming from a big GO lover.

16. in stitches

oh, lol. i love the branding on the second hand. and how the watch is deceptively symmetrical.

17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

As for my favorite Teutonic brand, well many already know it is Lange. Although, I really only find myself drawn to the Lange 1/Lange 1 Moonphase and Cabaret (love that its got a rectangular movement).

As for this GO, I find it quite interesting. On some level the dial looks asymmetric, but its actually quite symmetric. I'm not sure if I would prefer it to be more asymmetric if that was their intention, or if I'd prefer it to be more symmetric. I am not sure I like the moon phase. I generally think moon phases look better with a silver/white dial paired with a blue disc displaying the moon & stars. I do like the shape of the hands a lot, although I'm with you on the second hand...I could do without the logo.

Funny, how a small detail like the tail on the second hand can bother us. As much as I love ROs, I knew the 15300 was not for me, even before trying it on. I found the tail on its second hand annoying. Its a great watch and it was a small detail that I'm sure most people don't care about, but it bothered me. With the Jumbo...well no issue at all, it nixes the second hand.

+1 I find that an interesting detail on this watch, although I'm not sure if I'd like it to look more or less symmetrical.

1 person likes this.
  18. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

The idea that a watch can accurately track a 4 year period makes my head hurt. There are more complicated watches out there but just thinking about a fine craftsman sitting there and figuring out how to make a mechanical watch do that is something special. If I dug more into how it was actually accomplished, I am sure it all makes sense but until then I will still believe in the magic of the Perp Cal.

19. mimo

mimo Senior member

I think I agree about the logo on the second hand, but GO's quirky, I can live with it. It also looks like a perfect counterweight to the long second hand, like the hilt of a sword. And the second hand looks kind of like a dotted line at a glance, separating it from the other hands in a neat trick of design I think. Also, the minute hand is especially lovely!

This is all madness. But there is no going back.

20. MG85

MG85 Active Member

Had a very good week and looking forward to picking up the black dial Daytona before the end of the weekend.

Thanks all for the comments and advice.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.