The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

LOVE THIS, Belligero.

QFT.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i agree here. those types of lists are rarely helpful.
    --
    i went and put the rubber strap on my 112. was not expecting to like it, but turns out, i love it. supremely comfortable, no worries of sweat damage in the summer, and i think it looks super cool.

:)

[​IMG]

3. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Thanks, Keith! :cheers:

It was rewarding to find this, as it's not the type of thing my dad would spend time looking into for himself. Raising five boys was his main priority in life for quite some time, but I know that he appreciates tradition and understatement, so the watch suits perfectly. It looks natural on him, and he wears it daily.

—Ryan

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Great watch...even better story!!! Giving some something that we enjoy, because we know it would be enjoyed/appreciated more by someone else, is wonderful. Knowing he is wearing it and enjoying it must make you feel great, and I am sure he takes great pride in how he has raised you.
    I think we have already seen people try to do something like that here and on other sites. As Belligero suggest it creates more strife than enlightment. I've seen it too many times where someone has a meltdown because their favorite brand is on one level rather than another. Then they spend 10 pages trying to explain why the list is incorrect, incomplete, or unfair. In addition, while we all have our own favorites and feelings among the various brands we are all here because we appreciate watches. While we may believe that some brands are better than others in theory, no one watch will be ideal for everyone, a generic list serves little purpose other than to possibly alienate or annoy some SF members. I own and/or like the watches I do without regard for where anyone perceives they belong on a list. I appreciate their designs, heritage, quality, and that they suit my needs and taste...and I think that is something that most watch collector/SF members do on their own.

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

[​IMG]

New strap from Camille Fournet. Took about 2 weeks from ordering the custom date to receiving it. I will take more pictures of the strap itself later. Very high quality feeling and looking, in my most humble of opinions. The ostrich is super soft and comfortable. The black OEM gator strap was just a bit too severe for my tastes.

Funny enough, when I received the strap, it was absolutely HUGE. I had to take it to my local watch repair shop, and he punched some holes in it. I guess that is just part of the game!

6. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Needless to say I disagree.

The hierarchical suit thread has been beneficial, it would seem to me that one for watches would be as well. Especially at the low end, where people can realize that for the same money one pays for a designer brand watch, they could buy one that could be appreciated on its own.

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

+1,000,000

8. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Really transforms how the watch presents to my eyes. Well done.

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thank you! If it makes sense, it really help the blue to pop I find. Softens the appearance a bunch. The blued hands and moonphase disk are really the stars now, which I appreciate.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I think on some level the some of this has been covered a while ago when people questioned, "The Big Three." What it means, who is in it, why some that are great are not part of it, etc. I think a hierarchical list of entry level watches might be helpful to some but it make more sense on what I believe SF already has on the forum as something like the "The Affordable Watch Thread" or the "Poor Man's Watch Thread."

11. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

The strap itself appears to be lovely.

My wrist has shrunk significantly, well in watch strap and cuff terms, since I've been on the shelf with an injury so I feel your pain.

12. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Dbl post.

13. in stitches

strap looks beautiful. i still think the black strap is great, and would work better when wearing a suit, particularly navy or gray, but this softer (and more casual, in my opinion) look is fantastic.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I don't see myself switching back anytime soon though. Changing the strap was a major pain in the ass. Those lugs are just so damn delicate. Got a couple knicks in the process, but I guess that goes with the territory!

Thanks for the kind words!

15. in stitches

yeah, changing straps is rough on the lugs. i wish all watches were made with screwed pins and came with a matching precision screwdriver.

hold on to that strap though, you never know..... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.