1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

who is your tailor?

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

After being on holiday for three weeks in the US, it's nice to be home to my Tudor watch. I sure did miss it!

1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

DEL SANTO!!!!

WHO IS YOUR TAILOR??????

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Ahahaha sorry - got busy with the day job. Tailor's name is Taji and he has an office on 61st and Madison in NYC (675 Madison). Originally from Turkey so they have clients all over Europe (and now around the US too, their NYC office has been open since 2006 and was recently featured in Amex's Departures magazine). Love their work - tried a few others but have been very happy with their service, selection and the way they cut the suits and clothes they make for me, given my strange body proportions.

For example - top coat today also from them, charcoal color (though it looks a bit blue in this pic) - all wool with a velvet collar. There's a suit underneath the top coat - but they cut it in a way that preserved the more "streamlined" look; no excess fabric around the arms. Not an easy thing given my body shape (I am pretty boxy).

[​IMG]

So that it's not completely off topic from TWAT, wearing 3940P with a navy strap. Shoes are Corthay's Arca in aubergine, and the tie's red, blue and purple shades pick up the strap, shoes, and navy suit.

I have a few more suits they'll be delivering later this week, winter weight wool and a couple of one-button jackets. Will post pics of those next week.

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yes.

Just for giggles, here's the article about my tailor from Departures a few months ago. I couldn't help myself and had to take a "similar" pic (that's me on the right). Hah hah. Took a few test shots before I could pose Fevzi (he runs the NYC office) properly, but I think we succeeded in replicating the original pic fairly well.

Again, so it's not completely OT - Taji (seated, left) is wearing an AP. I am wearing my Rolex 114270 (seated, right). Hah hah.

[​IMG]

Awesome Ron Burgundy coat here pictured in full length. Think I was wearing PP5040J then.

[​IMG]

7. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

^^ Haha awesome! I vaguely remember seeing that article and thinking that is a damn nice watch on that tailor! That coat is fantastic.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Looks fantastic! You definitely got great guidance from Stitch and Derek!
    That's funny, I saw the article a while ago and thought the same thing when I noticed the tailor's watch.

9. TC (Houston)

Thanks! Really, really loving this setup. I even went casual to the office today just so I could wear it. :)

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

TC - that strap/combo looks great. Panerai's OEM clasp is an understated thing of beauty. I miss mine, as my 312 only comes on a buckle..

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Guys, need some experienced insight....

Can a watch that was originally brushed steel, that was then chromed (may be incorrect term), be re-brushed to a matte steel look again?

12. alpyigit

alpyigit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

An old picture of my watch today- equation of times by GP. A very underrated brand IMO. Only criticism I have is that their movements are on the smaller size compared to the case but so does a lot of Patek, VC models. I am big fan of their dress watches and the three bridges movement is a piece of art..

2 people like this.
  13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

by the manufacture, absolutely. if you go to an outside source, its a risky move.

any decent jeweler can do a mean mirror (chrome as you called it) finish, but i have found that getting that perfect OEM BNIB brushed finish is very hard to replicate. many times it looks flat or sticky or just off. id recommend sending it back to the manufacture for that. worth the peace of mind that they will do it right. unless you know of a place that has a sterling reputation for brushed finishes.

a little while back someone posted a pic they found online of the blue black GMT with brushed center links, and it looked outstanding. maybe find out somehow who did that work. if you do, please let me know.

14. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Here's an example of a Hamilton Khaki that originally had an all-over bead blasted case, changed to a brushed and polished finish by Jay at MCWW.

15. bfongxd

bfongxd Member

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Well its a short name...breguet hands.... I'm not sure. My first instinct was Seiko just by the way the name looked.

Edit. Found it. Seiko SKP332. I have seen this one at dept. stores.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  17. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

My guess was Seiko as well.

TWAT has been quiet lately...anything we can intensely discuss so I can learn some more? Arabic vs sticks vs Romans? When is a reserve indicator too big? (See recent Nomos) How long did it take to reset the time on all their watches this past weekend?

18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I love the GP Equation of time. I tried it on this past May in rose gold. Its a very handsome watch, and the finish on the movement is superb. As the movement is on the small side, I'd prefer if it had a closed case back. I am a big fan of asymmetric dials or asymmetric cases on watches, and this is just such a beautiful watch. The big issue with it though is its price, which puts it squarely in competition brands that overshadow it such as Patek, VC, AP and Lange (granted it would be a time only piece from the Big Three or Lange). Beyond that as a result of its being rather underrated/under appreciated there is little to no resale value on GPs, although that can make them a fantastic deal for subsequent owners.

On another note, I'm very excited that my latest reading material arrived.

[​IMG]

Its the out of production book from AP which was written as part of the 40th anniversary of the RO and in part at a tribute to the late Gerald Genta. Its a beautiful 300 page coffee table book, but it has some interesting information about the company, the development of the RO, and lots of cool vintage RO ads, as well as lots of photos of the RO's lesser known eventually killed off square sibling.

1 person likes this.
  19. LesMust

LesMust Active Member

A watch I bought earlier this year, the Reverso by Jaeger LeCoultre. Wonder what you guys think of the red dial. [​IMG] Before I bought the watch, I was afraid that it was hard to match with suits and shirts, but it is actually an easy color to wear. I did an article about he watch, with some more pictures with different outfits. http://revo-online.com/jeager-lecoultre-grande-reverso-1931-rouge-part-ii/ It's a model from around 1934 and actually only beefed up a bit, to match the current fashion for larger watches.

2 people like this.
  20. TC (Houston)

^^ Very cool!

Alright, I wasn't going to bother you guys with this debate just yet, but since the thread has been so slow, what do you think?

this:

[​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

FWIW, I've already got a stainless Rolex Submariner and the Panerai 112 posted above. The AP would be worn quite a bit for business dress. I think I'm actually leaning toward the 15400, although for casual wear I would probably prefer the chrono.

And unfortunately, what I really want is this, but at 2-2.5x the price of SS models, will probably have to wait a bit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.