• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Adding to the Appreciation collection. Did I post in the right thread or should I post in poor man watch thread? Discontinued Glashutte Original from £5500 to £2250. My shoe/clothing budget was already blown on first day of April, but couldn't resist this bargain....
Nice find! Congrats and enjoy!
There's a world outside NYC? Oh wait... whoops! Heh heh.

I actually source any new Pateks I will end up getting from an AD in North Carolina for the biggest discounts I can get - unless I want to purchase a piece to maintain / continue my existing AD relationships in NYC.

Hey, my paragraphs separate again just fine!
Yes, NYC is practically its own world. Everything one could want or need is available in NYC...at an exorbitant price.
wink.gif

Thanks for your advice, honestly I'm not a watch buff whatsoever and I like the Cartier for ite asthetics only, I really have no knowledge of the straps (side vs belly alligator straps fot example). I was leaning towards the Steel solo as its cheaper and I'm practically going for the look only so the gold may be overdoing it.

Speaking of alternative, what would you recommend?
I own an limited production Tank XL from the CPCP collection (now discontinued). I am a huge fan of Cartier, but IMHO, my old CPCP Tank XL, exceeds the current Tank models in terms of classic looks, simplicity that is so well balanced and pared down to the essentials that its truly minimalist elegance at its finest, and an exceptional rectangular movement to fit in its rectangular case (rather than a cheaper conventional round movement in a rectangular case). None of the current Tanks truly appeal to me. The new Tank XL ultra thin is nice but pricey, and its size is now just a shade too large.

The steel Solo represents a reasonable value for $3K, which is a tough range to find a good new watch. However, I find its flatter case less appealing than a Louis Cartier Case Tank, the date window is needless distraction, and the ETA movement while adequate is nothing special. Its not a bad watch in its price range, but I find its several compromises to be at that range make it less appealing to me. If I were in your shoes as others have suggested look at some vintage pieces, particularly a JLC Reverso.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree humidity can be a *****. (Live in DC). But I would still never wear certain watches with bracelets. Reverso and Tank for example. If I needed or wanted to wear a bracelet I would wear a sportier watch (sub, PO, etc..) and just leave the Reverso (for example) permanently on the strap.
Is ostrich supposed to be tougher (or perhaps more humidity- resistant) than croc? Just curious.
Ostrich and croc straps seem to wear about the same. However, I've never been able to enjoy ostrich skin (with quill marks), to me it looks like leather with acne...sorry fans of ostrich.

Wongtouski

Reaction score

I think that the Cartier Tank Solo would be a great piece in that price range.

If I am not mistaken, the retail on that is ~$3,500, and I do not doubt you could swing around $3,000 at the right AD.

Here is a good piece on it:

http://cartier.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-886/pi-5516898/ti-817888/

If you want "Cartier" styling, and do not want to pay the big bucks for the Tank LC, I think it is a great choice. Sure, the date is an unfortunate addition. But I have seen it in the metal and it is actually a nicely finished piece for the price range. And although I would prefer a strap, I see no reason why one would not get the bracelet, and switch it to a belly-scale gator strap. Having a bracelet can never hurt, even though I am not much of a bracelet guy myself.

$3,000 is an awkward price range, but I think that this is a good option. The only other watch in this range I would consider strongly is the Speedy.

Thanks for the tip. My main objective of getting a Tank is to wear for work mostly. I want somethign classic, not showy and most importantly affordable. I currently just wear a Victorinox which is I like very much, but I do want something nice to wear from time to time. I actually do own a Cartier Santos black strap, but I find that one conspicuous as well (and that's a present so I don't want to wear everyday). The price point for me is actually a plus as I do not want to strut around in a rolex/panerai as most people here in Hong Kong do.

I want to thank y'all for the advice though. At first I didn't see a problem with the date, in fact I found that useful, but the more I think about it it does make sens that it disrupts the look. I'll definitely have a look at the reverso.

One more thing on the reverso, what's exactly the point of reversing the face of the watch? is it purely a design thing or just so you don't scratch it?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Me too - fantastic watch.

im really trying to figure out how to get my hands on one, now.

Update on my watch strap search for my 70+ year old H. Moser & Cie.
I received a reply back from Camile Fournet, who said that the only way they would be able to make a strap for the fixed lugs of my watch would be to have me send the watch to them. They would then sew the strap directly onto the watch.
Seeing as how the watch is irreplaceable, I am not comfortable with the prospect of sending it across the world, even if it means that it may get excellent treatment at CF.
So, I'm back to square one...

mr moo goes to paris. problem solved.

a bit off topic, but i knew a guy that traded a rolex datejust for a bracelet for his JLC. not the watch, JUST THE BRACELET. :facepalm:
Broke my heart when he told me that story.

STAINLESS!!!!

he also got cash as well, and it is one of the dumbest things he has ever done, and he regrets it to this very day.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Datejust for JLC bracelet? Epic.

If I were given the choice of a watch + strap, or a watch + bracelet for a few $100 more, I would always go with the bracelet - even if I don't like it I can always sell it for a lot more than a decent strap would cost. I'm pretty sure most people would make the same decision. :)

One more thing on the reverso, what's exactly the point of reversing the face of the watch? is it purely a design thing or just so you don't scratch it?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jlc+reverso+history

There is seriously a ton of information out there about the Reverso! Happy reading. :)

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my dealer tried to tempt me with this one yesterday:

I know, the leap year indicator cutting off the "15" and "17" doesn't sit right with Dino944's aesthetic sense. But man, this was lovely on the wrist. 36mm (perfect size for me), height of around 13mm renders it just as chunky as the 3970 (great "presence") and the hinged case back revealing the movement was a nice touch.

Amazingly, I resisted. For now.........
baldy[1].gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

So my dealer tried to tempt me with this one yesterday: I know, the leap year indicator cutting off the "15" and "17" doesn't sit right with Dino944's aesthetic sense. But man, this was lovely on the wrist. 36mm (perfect size for me), height of around 13mm renders it just as chunky as the 3970 (great "presence") and the hinged case back revealing the movement was a nice touch. Amazingly, I resisted. For now.........
baldy%5B1%5D.gif
you know, i dont think this PP holds a candle to the others ive seen.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So my dealer tried to tempt me with this one yesterday: I know, the leap year indicator cutting off the "15" and "17" doesn't sit right with Dino944's aesthetic sense. But man, this was lovely on the wrist. 36mm (perfect size for me), height of around 13mm renders it just as chunky as the 3970 (great "presence") and the hinged case back revealing the movement was a nice touch.
Amazingly, I resisted. For now.........
baldy%5B1%5D.gif
Not so amazing, as you already have a few of their perpetual calendar models — and better ones, in my opinion. The mix of Roman, Arabic, serif and sans-serif is a bit much for me. Retrograde date is cool, though. A 5110P, now that would be tougher to resist (and less redundant, besides) if you're putting yourself in temptation's way by stopping by the dealer.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I like it. It is strange...whimsical in a conscious, knowing way, and a little indulgent somehow.

But when you start referring to any kind of broker or commercial outlet as "my dealer", it may be time for some kind of intervention. Not that you'll get that here. Just a clamour of excitement at the prospect of more vicarious Frilly-living. We are no good for you, Frilly.

cool.gif

elwood49

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of buying the JLC Master Hometime as my first real watch after doing a bit of research. I tried one on in person and loved it. Anything else comparable in that price range I should consider before pulling the trigger?

suaviter

Reaction score
There's a world outside NYC? Oh wait... whoops! Heh heh.

I actually source any new Pateks I will end up getting from an AD in North Carolina for the biggest discounts I can get - unless I want to purchase a piece to maintain / continue my existing AD relationships in NYC.

Hey, my paragraphs separate again just fine!

PM sent ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads