The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Well, if the bracelet and the strap are the same price, and the strap would be one you would immediately replace due to the small scales [small scale straps drive me crazy], would it not be the logical decision to get the bracelet?

I am not saying that it will be worn on the bracelet all the time, but a bracelet is always a nice thing to have. That is, of course, just my opinion. I know that a Tank on a bracelet is... unfortunate, but there are times when a leather strap on a watch will just get trashed with the humidity / heat (I live in New Orleans, a bracelet is very welcome at times).

2. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I agree humidity can be a bitch. (Live in DC). But I would still never wear certain watches with bracelets. Reverso and Tank for example. If I needed or wanted to wear a bracelet I would wear a sportier watch (sub, PO, etc..) and just leave the Reverso (for example) permanently on the strap. I also feel that PAMs also look infinitely better on the strap and rather opt for another watch altogether if I really needed a bracelet option..

3. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Somebody had either a Tank or maybe it was a Reverso that they posted many pages ago that was on an ostrich strap. I thought it looked really great, but I've never had one.

Seems like JLC used to offer certain styles/sizes of the Reverso on ostrich. Is ostrich supposed to be tougher (or perhaps more humidity- resistant) than croc? Just curious.

Related question: Were early Reversos worn on ostrich by the polo-playing Brits? Surely they had to get sweaty. Maybe not as bad as the horses...but still....

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Nice find! Congrats and enjoy!
    Yes, NYC is practically its own world. Everything one could want or need is available in NYC...at an exorbitant price. [​IMG]

I own an limited production Tank XL from the CPCP collection (now discontinued). I am a huge fan of Cartier, but IMHO, my old CPCP Tank XL, exceeds the current Tank models in terms of classic looks, simplicity that is so well balanced and pared down to the essentials that its truly minimalist elegance at its finest, and an exceptional rectangular movement to fit in its rectangular case (rather than a cheaper conventional round movement in a rectangular case). None of the current Tanks truly appeal to me. The new Tank XL ultra thin is nice but pricey, and its size is now just a shade too large.

The steel Solo represents a reasonable value for $3K, which is a tough range to find a good new watch. However, I find its flatter case less appealing than a Louis Cartier Case Tank, the date window is needless distraction, and the ETA movement while adequate is nothing special. Its not a bad watch in its price range, but I find its several compromises to be at that range make it less appealing to me. If I were in your shoes as others have suggested look at some vintage pieces, particularly a JLC Reverso.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Ostrich and croc straps seem to wear about the same. However, I've never been able to enjoy ostrich skin (with quill marks), to me it looks like leather with acne...sorry fans of ostrich.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG] Great way to describe it ... I love it!

7. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Senior member

Thanks for the tip. My main objective of getting a Tank is to wear for work mostly. I want somethign classic, not showy and most importantly affordable. I currently just wear a Victorinox which is I like very much, but I do want something nice to wear from time to time. I actually do own a Cartier Santos black strap, but I find that one conspicuous as well (and that's a present so I don't want to wear everyday). The price point for me is actually a plus as I do not want to strut around in a rolex/panerai as most people here in Hong Kong do.

I want to thank y'all for the advice though. At first I didn't see a problem with the date, in fact I found that useful, but the more I think about it it does make sens that it disrupts the look. I'll definitely have a look at the reverso.

One more thing on the reverso, what's exactly the point of reversing the face of the watch? is it purely a design thing or just so you don't scratch it?

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

im really trying to figure out how to get my hands on one, now.

mr moo goes to paris. problem solved.

he also got cash as well, and it is one of the dumbest things he has ever done, and he regrets it to this very day.

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

Datejust for JLC bracelet? Epic.

If I were given the choice of a watch + strap, or a watch + bracelet for a few $100 more, I would always go with the bracelet - even if I don't like it I can always sell it for a lot more than a decent strap would cost. I'm pretty sure most people would make the same decision. :)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jlc+reverso+history

There is seriously a ton of information out there about the Reverso! Happy reading. :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

FTFY. there was a justification at the time. it was not worth typing out.

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

12. no frills

no frills Senior member

So my dealer tried to tempt me with this one yesterday:

[​IMG]

I know, the leap year indicator cutting off the "15" and "17" doesn't sit right with Dino944's aesthetic sense. But man, this was lovely on the wrist. 36mm (perfect size for me), height of around 13mm renders it just as chunky as the 3970 (great "presence") and the hinged case back revealing the movement was a nice touch.

Amazingly, I resisted. For now......... [​IMG]

13. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

you know, i dont think this PP holds a candle to the others ive seen.

14. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Not so amazing, as you already have a few of their perpetual calendar models — and better ones, in my opinion. The mix of Roman, Arabic, serif and sans-serif is a bit much for me. Retrograde date is cool, though. A 5110P, now that would be tougher to resist (and less redundant, besides) if you're putting yourself in temptation's way by stopping by the dealer.

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I like it. It is strange...whimsical in a conscious, knowing way, and a little indulgent somehow.

But when you start referring to any kind of broker or commercial outlet as "my dealer", it may be time for some kind of intervention. Not that you'll get that here. Just a clamour of excitement at the prospect of more vicarious Frilly-living. We are no good for you, Frilly.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.