• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree with the Reverso recommendation, but if you are keen on a Tank, why get one on a bracelet? Seems to ruin the point.

Are you saying that a Tank needs a bracelet to be tank'y? Isn't it primarily the case design that takes it's inspiration from a tank?

Either way, a Tank looks best on a strap IMO.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good points all around, including about the $3K zone being a bit of a no-man's land for most new watches.

However, while I'd take the bracelet if it was offered for free, I wouldn't pay extra for it and it's unlikely I'd ever want to wear it. This type of watch belongs on a quality strap; that afterthought of a bracelet suits it neither aesthetically nor functionally. It's definitely no sports watch, so what's the point?

I completely agree. That strap is shite too though. I guess in theory I would not have minded the Master Control bracelet for my... Master Control. Probably would have never used it, but you never know I guess! The Tank Solo is a bit large, and wears fairly big, so I guess it could be more casual in theory. I guess for me I would just be looking at the lesser of two evils?

I have thought about the Tank Solo. It is Cartier styling for substantially cheaper. I love the Cartier Tank, I am just not sure if I $15,000 love it. Especially with the "movement issue."

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

At $3k there are many more appealing options used versus new.

Completely agree. I just hate buying used. I know it is a personal problem, and I know it is silly... but it REALLY bothers me. If you can deal with used, definitely go used at that price point. A lot of doors open up. I sold my Master Control for $3,300.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a bit off topic, but i knew a guy that traded a rolex datejust for a bracelet for his JLC. not the watch, JUST THE BRACELET. :facepalm:

Broke my heart when he told me that story.

PT Barnum (apocryphally) and David Hannum (actually) would have appreciated that one. That better have been 18K.

Aside from how lame a Reverso on a bracelet looks, one of the reasons that I have no desire to own for my Reverso is that the case accumulates hairline scratches like it's made of forged butter. The fully-polished bracelet is made the exact same material. No, thanks.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I completely agree. That strap is shite too though. I guess in theory I would not have minded the Master Control bracelet for my... Master Control. Probably would have never used it, but you never know I guess! The Tank Solo is a bit large, and wears fairly big, so I guess it could be more casual in theory. I guess for me I would just be looking at the lesser of two evils?

I have thought about the Tank Solo. It is Cartier styling for substantially cheaper. I love the Cartier Tank, I am just not sure if I $15,000 love it. Especially with the "movement issue."

Yes, that is one nasty-lookin' strap in the photo.

Off-topic, but speaking of "movement issue"...

romain_jerome_titanic.jpg

...this bezel.
Rimshot.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Yes, that is one nasty-lookin' strap in the photo.

Off-topic, but speaking of "movement issue"...

romain_jerome_titanic.jpg

...this bezel.
Rimshot.gif

a guy i used to hang around with bought one of those RJ Titanic DNA watches. he bought it at a huge discount, and still got raped when he resold it. Im still baffled that he bought one.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why would you ever take the strap into consideration when buying a nice watch? It will inevitably need replacement and reflects a marginal portion of what you're paying for.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

....Ah. Who said the :foo: was planning to wear this on his wrist? :wow: :devil:

Good point; I was actually assuming that was him wearing it in the pic he posted. But then again, it didn't look that big on his wrist; just perhaps a bit uncomfortable.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why would you ever take the strap into consideration when buying a nice watch? It will inevitably need replacement and reflects a marginal portion of what you're paying for.

Well, if the bracelet and the strap are the same price, and the strap would be one you would immediately replace due to the small scales [small scale straps drive me crazy], would it not be the logical decision to get the bracelet?

I am not saying that it will be worn on the bracelet all the time, but a bracelet is always a nice thing to have. That is, of course, just my opinion. I know that a Tank on a bracelet is... unfortunate, but there are times when a leather strap on a watch will just get trashed with the humidity / heat (I live in New Orleans, a bracelet is very welcome at times).

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree humidity can be a *****. (Live in DC). But I would still never wear certain watches with bracelets. Reverso and Tank for example. If I needed or wanted to wear a bracelet I would wear a sportier watch (sub, PO, etc..) and just leave the Reverso (for example) permanently on the strap. I also feel that PAMs also look infinitely better on the strap and rather opt for another watch altogether if I really needed a bracelet option..

I am not saying that it will be worn on the bracelet all the time, but a bracelet is always a nice thing to have. That is, of course, just my opinion. I know that a Tank on a bracelet is... unfortunate, but there are times when a leather strap on a watch will just get trashed with the humidity / heat (I live in New Orleans, a bracelet is very welcome at times).

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Somebody had either a Tank or maybe it was a Reverso that they posted many pages ago that was on an ostrich strap. I thought it looked really great, but I've never had one.

Seems like JLC used to offer certain styles/sizes of the Reverso on ostrich. Is ostrich supposed to be tougher (or perhaps more humidity- resistant) than croc? Just curious.

Related question: Were early Reversos worn on ostrich by the polo-playing Brits? Surely they had to get sweaty. Maybe not as bad as the horses...but still....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads