The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Right thread for sure, congrats on the pick up.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

There's a world outside NYC? Oh wait... whoops! Heh heh.

I actually source any new Pateks I will end up getting from an AD in North Carolina for the biggest discounts I can get - unless I want to purchase a piece to maintain / continue my existing AD relationships in NYC.

Hey, my paragraphs separate again just fine!

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

Congratulations! This is a lovely piece!

4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

that GO is a NICE pickup!

5. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Going downmarket this week...

[​IMG]

6. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Senior member

[​IMG]

What are your opinions on these? Cartier Tank Solo extra large in gold.

7. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I appreciate Cartier's history, even though the watches don't really fit my style, but I don't think I'd go for an ETA-based one with a date window. It's a very compromised watch. I'd prefer the slimmer Piaget Cal. 430 manually-wound version if I was looking for a simple Cartier in that general design, though it's still not ideal since it's a round movement inside a square case.

I suppose the price of the steel Solo seems reasonable if you're keen on the watch and aren't fussed about the movement or the date cutout messing up the dial. There are better alternatives in the genre for the price of the mostly-18K-with-el-cheapo-steel-back version you posted, though.

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

Not to mention cheaper side scale alligator strap!

I noticed an odd trend when I lightning browsed the Cartier store in Singapore last month - the cheaper and quartz models had side scale alligator straps, the better/more expensive ones had belly scale straps. Small sample size (maybe 15 watches), but still.

Quite amusing when you notice things like that. :happy:

Ah. Who said the :foo: was planning to wear this on his wrist? :wow: :devil:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013

9. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Senior member

Thanks for your advice, honestly I'm not a watch buff whatsoever and I like the Cartier for ite asthetics only, I really have no knowledge of the straps (side vs belly alligator straps fot example). I was leaning towards the Steel solo as its cheaper and I'm practically going for the look only so the gold may be overdoing it.

Speaking of alternative, what would you recommend?

10. apropos

apropos Senior member

I think it's generally a good idea read through this thread, or at least the last 30-50 pages, because this is the 5th or 6th time I've seen this question asked. You'll probably learn a lot more other cool watch stuff you never knew about as well.

The short answer is the JLC Reverso Classique or GT, but many people buy Cartiers for reasons distinct from horological credibility so YMMV.

11. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Thank you all - I couldn't resist the 60% discount.

My first pair of GO and my first rubber strap watch too....
    Looking to get some bad boy black croc strap to go with them soon...

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Nice GO Ilovelobbs.

Ignore the snark above - there's no rule that says you need to read 50 pages of a 1300 page thread before asking a prefectly legitimate and topical question. Do consider the recommendation of a Reverso, however.

13. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Agree with the Reverso recommendation; it's essentially mandatory to check out if someone's looking for a quadrilateral watch.

Specifically about Cartier though, I found a post on their tank watches earlier in the thread that should cover it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013

14. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Agree with the Reverso recommendation, but if you are keen on a Tank, why get one on a bracelet? Seems to ruin the point.

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I think that the Cartier Tank Solo would be a great piece in that price range.

[​IMG]

If I am not mistaken, the retail on that is ~$3,500, and I do not doubt you could swing around $3,000 at the right AD.

Here is a good piece on it:

http://cartier.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-886/pi-5516898/ti-817888/

If you want "Cartier" styling, and do not want to pay the big bucks for the Tank LC, I think it is a great choice. Sure, the date is an unfortunate addition. But I have seen it in the metal and it is actually a nicely finished piece for the price range. And although I would prefer a strap, I see no reason why one would not get the bracelet, and switch it to a belly-scale gator strap. Having a bracelet can never hurt, even though I am not much of a bracelet guy myself.

$3,000 is an awkward price range, but I think that this is a good option. The only other watch in this range I would consider strongly is the Speedy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.