The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Huh, you're absolutely right--it is indeed 44mm. Odd. The Jubilee was 42mm.

On the thinness of bezels: I always prefer less metal showing. To the extent a thin bezel makes a watch look bigger, due to emphasizing the dial, it also makes it look more streamlined and low-profile. I would rather have a larger-looking, elegant dress watch than a smaller-looking, chunky one.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I am kind of in between on that. I think that the previous-gen GO PML's are nicer than the new ones. I think it is more of a balance issue for me.

For example:

[​IMG]

VERSUS

[​IMG]

Although I typically like thinner bezeled watches, in regards to thickness, I feel like a thin bezel can often make a watch look slab-sided.

And as an aside, I wonder if the thin bezeled look is a bit on the "trendy" side of things?

3. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

The post on originality came to mind when I saw this watch:

[​IMG]

A Speedmaster "homage", you say? I'd agree completely, especially since the dial is identical except for the logo.

The only snag is that this one is said to have been introduced in 1954. :eh:

4. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

You know, I originally liked the newer one... but I have yet to see a picture on the wrist that was very flattering! Some examples:

From Cylon:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And another:

[​IMG]

And this is coming from someone who was INCREDIBLY close to picking one of these bad boys up. I was very disappointed when I actually got to try one "in the metal."

6. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

I blame the over growth of hair and then the arm waxing.

In general I don't rely on wrist shots of others, but I agree it looks disappointing in those. I enjoyed the look of it on my wrist, but perhaps because I wanted to, but I'll have plenty of time to change my mind over and over again as I reevaluate my choices endlessly. Related, I'm glad I waited on the MUT Moon, after several try ons, I decided something was missing for me as far as the case/lugs went (and I've loved every online wrist shot I've seen of it). Something just felt lacking, despite trying to convince myself I still loved it; just not for my wrist I suppose. I've moved on to Reversos and the PML's, perhaps one of each [​IMG]

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You do make a very compelling argument for the handwound Portuguese. While I'm aware of their history behind the original Portuguese and the quality of the handwound model, personally the Portuguese line never really called out to me. My former IWC AD frequently tried to sell me the Port chronograph, but it just didn't do much for me. I always preferred the original Flieger and Doppel Chronographs, particularly when on the original bracelet with "pyramid" shaped links. That bracelet was simply fantastic (I didn't like the revised version). But the use of the Valjoux 7750 always prevented me from closing the deal. Knowing it used cams rather than a column wheel, and it also powered dozens of watches that could be purchased for far less always bothered me. Hence I've never purchased an IWC. If I were to get an IWC, the one that appealed to me most was produced in the 1990s, the Novecento Perpetual Calendar. Something about a perpetual calender in a rectangular case just appealed to me. Years ago, a client from Italy had one and it was quite impressive.

I agree that with Patek developing and using their own inhouse chronograph movements, others will follow suit. For AP and VC to be competitive, they will have to have their own in house movements as the public's perception is that inhouse movements are better. Furthermore, when one is spending litterally tens of thousands of dollars on a watch, there may be a strong desire to have exclusivity and feel that the movement was made specifically for your watch rather than sharing it with other brands, even if those brands are very high end like AP and VC. In addition as you suggested, an inhouse movement can be tailored to a brands specific needs in terms of both function and beauty.

8. ahdaeeeee

ahdaeeeee Well-Known Member

I just went to look at the Portuguese Chrono, Handwound and the 7 days reserve. Boy those watches definitely looks much bigger in real life. I did not know it was actually a 44mm, I have always thought they were 42mm, guess I should've done my homework. Even at 42mm I still think they are a little bigger for my wrist. I would like to hear the other many more appealing options for the dress watch if you don't mind that is.

My reasons for wanting IWC for so long is because the 1) brand image it has 2) the history and the value of the watch 3) the Portuguese are just beautiful! But hey, I am not dead on certain on buying it, still keeping my options open.

Glad to see that we agreed that the handwound is the Portuguese to go for. Those things you mentioned are definitely factors to be considered, movements, classics or even future value. Don't all 3 have to be considered when buying a watch? I mean I certainly would...

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

What size are your wrists if you don't mind me asking? Mine are a hair under 7", and I found that the PML just looked a little bit too big. I love my MUT Moon, but I understand why it may be a bit too cold for some. I also think that the lug width may be what was throwing you off? Strangely, for a 39mm watch, the lug width is 21mm! The combination of the black alligator strap with the case I find to be a bit daunting. I just ordered a gold ostrich strap from Camille Fournet, so I think that will make me much happier.

And the Reverso is a lovely, lovely watch. I would really like to pick one up some day. Fortunately for me, I am attracted to the ultra thins more than the complicated ones!

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

New IWC chronograph. A little expensive, but seems to be very nice. IWC in house chronograph movement as well..

[​IMG]

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I like the newer PML too. Have to see it in the metal though, thanks for the insight into how it wears on the wrist.

12. fides

fides Active Member

Kind of scared to post in the plethora of Pams, and Rolex`s here but here goes nothing. This is my my 1971 Omega Deville, .711 caliber. Its my best friend, my beast, and my classy woman in one. Wear it everyday even though its supposed to be a dressy watch. Love these vintage thin-o-matics. I find it absolutely stunning and simple, and I think thats all that matters :D Thanks.

[​IMG]

13. Concub1ne

Concub1ne Senior member

Well, looks like they fixed everything I might have objected to on the porto chrono in one fell swoop. As long as they didn't up the price by 50% or make it 18mm thick or anything equally dumb I don't see how I'm going to avoid getting one eventually.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

They upped the price by a little over 50%. I think it will be retailing for just shy of $13,000. Only 14.5mm though, and 42mm in width.

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Hate to break it to you, but it is much more than 50% more expensive. Closer to 100% more. The retail price for the steel version is $14,400. That is actually a fair price for an in-house, column-wheel chronograph with a flyback function.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.