1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yes, I have seen the 5711P in person and I've put it on my wrist. It is one heavy piece, close to 300g. Very understated since it pretty much looks like the SS version except for a few key differences (positioning of "PP Geneve," metallic framing around the date window, a lighter blue dial (but equally as mesmerizing, if not even more electric) and that diamond at the bottom). One auctioned in Amsterdam recently at close to $150,000+, no doubt because of the rarity/novelty factor (a platinum 3700 cleared $820,000+ at a Christie's auction in late May, after all)... but can probably be had via a looooong application process via an AD for somewhere around the mid-$90s, no one still knows for sure.

I am on the fence about a 5711P. I love my 5711 in steel precisely because I need not "baby it" as much as my dressier Pateks. It is as close to a "beater" Patek as you can get; but if you have a 5711P then I wonder if you'd baby it more. I take my 5711/1A into salt water and chlorinated water all the time. Would I do the same if I had a 5711P?

Of course if money weren't an issue at all then the "right" answer should be "hey, get a 5711/1A to thrash around and a 5711P for loving and caring." But though I can be frillyvolous in relative terms I am not quite at that level of frillyvolousness...

1 person likes this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

very sad this is going to eBay, not my wrist.

:inlove:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I'm not really at home in the world of watches, but what do you guys think of the Tudor Black Bay? The more I see it the more I appreciate it. It's a little more reasonably priced than a submariner, and I really like the snowflake hands and the matte chocolate dial.

[​IMG]

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I owned the Black Bay - liked it a lot but didn't love it. No down sides to speak of - it was well made, nicely finished and accurate. The vintage leather strap I did love.
    [​IMG]

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thanks for the feedback! I prefer it with the leather strap as well, it suits the style of the watch much better. I guess the Tudor Pelagos might be a safer choice, but I like the Black Bay because it is so distinctive/divisive.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Yes to all of that.

8. in stitches

Inorite. No fair. :(

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

From Antibes, France, a nod to the thread starter. :)

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ That's a classic choice.

11. Flake

Flake Senior member

Stitch

Sold my 288 a couple years ago. Just not getting wrist time. Kinda thick. But nice looking.

Dinner with a good friend from Tampa tonight. He was sporting this:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. in stitches

looks good, moo.

1 person likes this.
  13. mimo

mimo Senior member

I tried it on a while back, in both guises, and although I get the distressed-look strap as a casual thing, I actually liked it a lot on the bracelet. The bracelet is thicker and chunkier than the Oyster bracelet and I liked the heft and feel of it. At about 40% of the price of a Sub, I think if you like the dial, it's a good deal. And you could always get the bracelet and a strap.

2 people like this.
  14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ enjoyed your Dubai tour there Mimo. There's a lot of watch buying going on over there and I did much of the same when I was living there. The day I kinda got turned off to the whole Dubai shopping experience, however, was witnessing a ten year old kid at the JLC boutique bitch at his mom about the watch that he wanted that she wasn't in the mood to buy right that moment because "I want it!" all the while his even younger sister was screaming that they needed to leave so she could go pick out a bag at LV. jfc.

well that was partly it.., along with the rest of the bullshit. if you've spent a significant amount of time there you know what I mean.

15. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

i looked hard at these 2. i think the pelagos is +2mm in size, though?

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

KN - yeah, I don't like Dubai much, place has no soul. Although I live pretty close, I'm a rare visitor.

TLM - the Black Bay is listed as 41mm and the Pelagos at 42mm. On the bracelet especially, the BB feels bigger than it is, I think because of the wider lugs. What I like about the BB more than the Pelagos is that it doesn't look like a Submariner-substitute.

17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Overall a nice watch. I believe Watchtime just did a review of either the Black Bay or Pelagos within the last month or so. Overall they liked it, although they seemed to ding it a bit I believe on its accuracy or rate, at the moment it escapes me. If you like the snow flake hand, you may also want to consider looking at one of their vintage Tudor Submariners. For years they were under appreciated and now they are starting to get the respect they deserve. Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 person likes this.
  18. ReversoLover

ReversoLover Senior member

please tell me this is a joke...

19. ReversoLover

ReversoLover Senior member

Well, if you do decide to take the leap, I hope you share pictures! I assume it's got quite the satisfyingly-hefty feeling while on the wrist.

20. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Makes you want to support the Keystone pipeline so that little Canadian kids can demand JLCs as well, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.