The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coho

Coho Senior member

Why are you confused? My comments or the word "bazaar" used as an adjective?

Uh huh....[​IMG]

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yes, nice little bit of German over-engineering, that; I'm told that a power reserve would be a useful feature on a ship's clock. It would let you know if the last watch wound it up.

Those reserve indicators can also be seen on 19th century English watches with "up-down" indicators.

[​IMG]

3. jcriswel

jcriswel Senior member

Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande Reserve

[​IMG]

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

This has such an elegant Deco style face. What a beauty! I have been eyeing this one for a few years. I could be tempted one day especially with a leather band.

Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande Reserve

[​IMG]

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

What a bazaar comment.

Yes, that should be bizarre coho.

6. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I bought this a while ago, it's a bit too 'bling' for me. The bracelet is integral in that it cannot be replaced or adjusted as far as I can tell. I liked it because it's very thin but I've no real information on this brand. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone know anything about this watch - Bueche Girod on the last page please?

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

A new pocket watch--an 18kt yellow gold demi-hunter by the English maker, Charles Frodsham. Frodsham was considered one of the top English makers, specializing in chronometers and technical timepieces including ship's clocks. They were also makers to the Queen and were among the last to have actual premises in Buckingham Palace. This is from about 1850 and is a gilt quarter-plate lever fusee movement with a diamond endstone; high-grade English watches are delightfully old-fashioned. The English watchmakers were in fact, a dying industry even in the latter 19th century having been upstaged by the Swiss and Americans who had begun to use mass-produced ebauches and such--even the big names like Patek, et al.--and eschewed key-wind movements such as the very old-fashioned fusee system. The English continued to make every movement by hand thus preventing interchangeable parts. The English managed to last until the early 20th century, at which point their industry was dependent mostly on marine timepieces and watches bought by wealthy patriots. A simple gold Frodsham watch in 1897 cost 25 pounds which given inflation is about 13,000 Pounds. The chain is Victorian tortoise-shell. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

A new pocket watch--an 18kt yellow gold demi-hunter by the English maker, Charles Frodsham. Frodsham was considered one of the top English makers, specializing in chronometers and technical timepieces including ship's clocks. They were also makers to the Queen and were among the last to have actual premises in Buckingham Palace.

This is from about 1850 and is a lever gilt quarter plate lever fusee movement with a diamond endstone; high-grade English watches are delightfully old-fashioned. The English watchmakers were in fact, a dying industry even in the latter 19th century having been upstaged by the Swiss and Americans who had begun to use mass-produced ebauches and such--even the big names like Patek, et al.--and eschewed key-wind movements such as the very old-fashioned fusee system. The English continued to make every movement by hand thus preventing interchangeable parts.

The English managed to last until the early 20th century, at which point their industry was dependent mostly on marine timepieces and watches bought by wealthy patriots. A simple gold Frodsham watch in 1897 cost 25 pounds which given inflation is about 13,000 Pounds.

The chain is Victorian tortoise-shell.

- Great contrast with the chain!

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

- Great contrast with the chain!

I thought a gold chain looked a bit ordinary; and besides, the tortoise is rather decadent and unique. It does create a nice contrast.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I thought a gold chain looked a bit ordinary; and besides, the tortoise is rather decadent and unique. It does create a nice contrast.

It would look great with a 210's 3 piece suit with a liger cape. [​IMG]

Jon.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It would look great with a 210's 3 piece suit with a liger cape. [​IMG]

Jon.

I think this might have been a piece of Victorian mourning jewelry given the darkness of the tortoise. Even the gold parts have been polychromed to give it a dark patina.

12. cowboyjack

cowboyjack Well-Known Member

LabelKing,

That is one beautiful pocket watch.

I am a huge fan of pocket watches and carry a smaller hunter cased Elgin from shortly after the Civil War on a daily basis.

13. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Very nice LK

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

This watch incidentally needs two keys--one for winding and the other for setting the hands. I found a nice period-correct solid gold winding one, but I'm not sure about the size of the setting key.

The key pictured isn't original.

I think some serious gold hardware in the form of assorted jeweled fobs and gold keys would make a nice complement to the dark shell chain.

15. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

A new pocket watch--an 18kt yellow gold demi-hunter by the English maker, Charles Frodsham. Frodsham was considered one of the top English makers, specializing in chronometers and technical timepieces including ship's clocks. They were also makers to the Queen and were among the last to have actual premises in Buckingham Palace. This is from about 1850 and is a gilt quarter-plate lever fusee movement with a diamond endstone; high-grade English watches are delightfully old-fashioned. The English watchmakers were in fact, a dying industry even in the latter 19th century having been upstaged by the Swiss and Americans who had begun to use mass-produced ebauches and such--even the big names like Patek, et al.--and eschewed key-wind movements such as the very old-fashioned fusee system. The English continued to make every movement by hand thus preventing interchangeable parts. The English managed to last until the early 20th century, at which point their industry was dependent mostly on marine timepieces and watches bought by wealthy patriots. A simple gold Frodsham watch in 1897 cost 25 pounds which given inflation is about 13,000 Pounds. The chain is Victorian tortoise-shell. [​IMG]
    I think there was around ten Frodsham chronometer/instrument makers, - they were sort of a dynasty, and all top-notch, which is why simpler instruments can have fake Frodsham markings. No doubt about this watch, though - it's great, especially the tortoiseshell chain. Some other products of the Frodsham family's work: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.