1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

:fistbump:

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

More price data that suggests it's not the 3531's size that hurts its value: the Mark XV, a 38mm watch, sold for $3,500 at retail and is currently selling for $3,000+ used. Yet, there are newer Mark series watches (the XVI and XVII) that are larger.

Again, the difference is the design. The Mark XV was the last simple pilot's watch from IWC that maintained the design of the original Mark XI to any recognizable degree. If you understand the history of a watch, you can predict its relative value and desirability fairly well.

Anyway, to the extent size tastes impact desirability, desirability is nonetheless impacted. I'm not sure why it matters what reasons a watch loses more value versus others. The point is that, ultimately, the 3531 is not as desirable as far as other IWC watches go. That is what the prices tell us.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

all thing's considering, this thread has been on fire of late!

4. apropos

apropos Senior member

Clearly you guys do not follow auctions at all. Auction results are the best determinant of a watch's "value" as a function of "desirability". This desirability is not set in stone though - it waxes and wanes, like anyone who has followed the "value" of Jaguar E types will attest.

And "discontinued small dress watches" from a certain house are amongst the best consistently performing class of auctioned watches, so that comment doesn't quite add up. I imagine the effect is slightly different for IWC though as it is not known or valued for its small dress watches, not even the old Ingenuier line.

I acknowledge that the 38mm Portuguese is something that holds appeal for me because I ultimately prioritise wearability over heritage, but I understand at the same time how its very existence is by definition a compromise and how that would impact the sort of desire from monied purists that fuels the high auction prices. And given there are other similar watches with heritage AND wearability, I will eventually pass on the 38mm Port.

Finally I am also not sure why "chicks digging" a watch is of any value in this discussion, let alone this thread. They are an exceptionally unlettered population when it comes to watches, and its somewhat akin to saying hey guidos dig my aldos... so they must be good. :p

5. apropos

apropos Senior member

Agreed. IMO the real value in this thread comes from posts, not photos.

Photos you can find anywhere on the internet easily - you can set up an RSS aggregator to stream feeds from various tumblrs and blogs and have literally 100s of new watch photos to sift through each day.

Quality discussion about watches from opinionated and (sometimes, hehe) knowledgeable folk? Now that's a little less common. :)

6. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Maybe it's just me, but girls liking what I wear is a good thing. Versus the SF mentality of just trying to impress other.. uh.. dudes.. ;)

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

You are so literal, it's laughable.

But I'll take chicks digging something over your perpetual scoffing disapproval any day.

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

The lesser of 2 evils, yes, and with some potentially... uh, gratifying effects too! :D

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Agreed, good discussion.

10. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

+1

To reiterate, you need to understand a watch's provenance and lineage to get a picture of its desirability. So, discussion and knowledge are key to refining one's taste for these things. Oooooing and aaaaahing at pictures doesn't get you anywhere. The 3531 doesn't have a very good story behind it and it's mechanically pedestrian. The design is also a strange hodge-podge of compromised downsizing and generica, as I previously illustrated. Hence, one can strongly suspect its lower desirability even before doing a price check.

Now, that's not to say anything is wrong with liking the 3531. But I think the more you inform yourself about it, the less likely you are to like it. The secondary market prices show this pretty clearly.

11. ahdaeeeee

ahdaeeeee Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying. Still an amateur on these watches. I thought all of the Portuguese uses in-house movements. Isn't that the reason people are willing to pay a higher price for? The in-house movements which resulted in accuracy?

12. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

Foo - I really don't find all of your arguments totally persuasive, but let's agree to disagree on the 3531. This is getting tedious.

What do you think about the merits of collecting smaller watches in general? I am of the view that the recent trend towards larger watches is depressing the market for smaller watches in the secondary market. I think the prices of these watches will eventually rebound to the collector's benefit when that trend reverses. By smaller, I guess I mean under 38mm. Yes? No?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  13. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  14. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Badness. Love to see what else is on the winder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.