The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apropos

apropos Senior member

Agreed. IMO the real value in this thread comes from posts, not photos.

Photos you can find anywhere on the internet easily - you can set up an RSS aggregator to stream feeds from various tumblrs and blogs and have literally 100s of new watch photos to sift through each day.

Quality discussion about watches from opinionated and (sometimes, hehe) knowledgeable folk? Now that's a little less common. :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

2. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Maybe it's just me, but girls liking what I wear is a good thing. Versus the SF mentality of just trying to impress other.. uh.. dudes.. ;)

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

You are so literal, it's laughable.

But I'll take chicks digging something over your perpetual scoffing disapproval any day.

4. apropos

apropos Senior member

The lesser of 2 evils, yes, and with some potentially... uh, gratifying effects too! :D

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Agreed, good discussion.

6. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

+1

To reiterate, you need to understand a watch's provenance and lineage to get a picture of its desirability. So, discussion and knowledge are key to refining one's taste for these things. Oooooing and aaaaahing at pictures doesn't get you anywhere. The 3531 doesn't have a very good story behind it and it's mechanically pedestrian. The design is also a strange hodge-podge of compromised downsizing and generica, as I previously illustrated. Hence, one can strongly suspect its lower desirability even before doing a price check.

Now, that's not to say anything is wrong with liking the 3531. But I think the more you inform yourself about it, the less likely you are to like it. The secondary market prices show this pretty clearly.

7. ahdaeeeee

ahdaeeeee Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying. Still an amateur on these watches. I thought all of the Portuguese uses in-house movements. Isn't that the reason people are willing to pay a higher price for? The in-house movements which resulted in accuracy?

8. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

Foo - I really don't find all of your arguments totally persuasive, but let's agree to disagree on the 3531. This is getting tedious.

What do you think about the merits of collecting smaller watches in general? I am of the view that the recent trend towards larger watches is depressing the market for smaller watches in the secondary market. I think the prices of these watches will eventually rebound to the collector's benefit when that trend reverses. By smaller, I guess I mean under 38mm. Yes? No?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Badness. Love to see what else is on the winder

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Dp

12. david3558

david3558 Senior member

13. nttdocomo

nttdocomo Senior member

Lovely! What strap is it?

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

No, not all Portugese models use an in house movement. Some have used JLC movements and the chronographs have used Valjoux 7750s. An inhouse movement does not mean a watch is more accurate. However, in today's market place many people prefer an in house movement. Some may feel its more exclusive and getting more value for what you pay, (if spending x amount on a watch, do you want what's inside to also power a bunch of less expensive pieces also?). But some great watches have used movements from other companies. Patek and VC have used Lemania bases in chronographs such as the 5070, 3970, and Historique and Malte Chronographs. In addition, the movement in PPs first Jumbo Nautilus, APs RO Jumbo, and VCs 222 were all based on JLCs cal 920. So I personally would not be against an outsourced movement, depending on the quality, price point,and type of watch.

My advice would be buy what you like and what you are comfortable wearing. The big watch preference has been around for quite a while now. I occasionally hear people say the trend will or is moving toward watches that are not so large. But that remains to be seen. There are still lots of large watches out there and new ones being released each year. Like anything if the trend strongly toward larger watches prices on smaller to normal sizes will remain depressed. It can represent a bargain for some buyers, but like anything they shouldn't buy with the idea they will see an increase in value soon or possibly ever. It depends on what buyers want in the future and there are never any guarantees. Buy what you like, and if values stay the same you won't be disappointed and you will have something you like, and should values increase well that's just an added benefit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.