The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I have a Nomos strap and it is very nice for the price. I'm just wondering if the OEM straps are even worth it, or do as you said, leave it in the box for resale and get another brand.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

The Omega deployant is very well executed indeed. BTW - that same guy can make straps to custom fit the Omega deployant. I know a lot of guys who happily have gone that route as a cost effective way to get multiple-strap options for their Omegas.

3. stafa

stafa Senior member

Anyone know the general cost of service for a standard Royal Oak? I have heard that AP charges quite a bit for service. I was contemplating purchasing a 14790 if I can get it for less than 6k.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

depends what needs to be done, figure a couple hundred, but it could cost a grand easy if there is a lot to do. so is my experience.

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Cool. What source did you use for your strap?

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

There used to be a section on AP's website that had estimates for servicing their watches, based on complexity, and what was being done with the watch. IIRC a basic time only RO was around $1,000-1,200. Thats if nothing is wrong and no parts other than gaskets need replacing. If the watch has been damaged, serviced by a hack that damaged part of the movement etc...the price goes up.

With something like a RO, buy the best example you can afford, not one with the lowest price you can find. You don't want to buy someone else's headache. I knew a guy that bought one thinking he got a great deal from a gray dealer, until it wasn't functioning properly and he discoverd the watch had been opened by a hack who screwed something up, and it cost him about $2K in repairs. Lots of the older ROs have been serviced by amateurs that don't know what they are doing and may have damaged movements and many have been over polished (losing most of their beveled edges)...it can be very expensive trying to remedy these mistakes.

Good luck.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Stitch,

Not if AP is doing the service work. It starts at about a $1,000. Also I imagine parts availability and the specific rubber gasket that used on a RO is going to be tough for an independent to source (unless your indy is reusing the gaskets). Not to mention, I'd never let an indy have a go at polishing a RO. I've seen far too many overpolished messes that have nearly round bezels.

8. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

9. in stitches

agreed. i should have specified that, my bad.

10. Luvwine

Luvwine Well-Known Member

Figured I would join in the fun. Wearing this today. Quick cell phone pic....

[​IMG]

11. Flake

Flake Senior member

Beautiful Lange Eins

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

No worries Stitch. Just thought it should be clarified that if AP is doing the work... It's more than you suggested...unless you have a connection with AP... In which case hook me up when my RO needs service bro!
    Stunning! I love that watch! Enjoy it.

13. in stitches

glad you stepped in! i wish i had a hook up.

and +1, the lange is a beaut.

14. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

15. apropos

apropos Senior member

Nah, it's really just a string of poorly argued points from one person really who clearly has already made up his mind and who uses just about every major (bad) debating tactic in the book - post hoc, false dichotomy, special pleading, begging the question, straw men, argument from authority, etc etc

It's also from 1999, so its relevance is moot unless you're specifically in the market for a 1999 Lange 1815 (which cost $7k then???!!!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.