The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flake

Flake Senior member

[​IMG]

Starting to feel like a real Spring here. F-series 170 for Saturday.

2. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Waiting in line at the bank of all things. [​IMG]

3. apropos

apropos Senior member

Well, I never did end up getting one!

I came really close once with the Lemania monopusher but the seller was a bit of a twit and the deal fell through.

Every once in a while I will get a hankering for the Zenith 156 in pink gold, but then I remember its 10% of a Lange 1 and suddenly it doesn't look so attractive anymore... :embar:

4. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, to an extent - but this answers my question..... it was really just asking if when we say "homage" we are only talking about off-brands, without acknowledging the fact that there are some upper-mid-range watchmakers who put their own movements into watches that are really no less an homage watch then a markII, IMO.

The answer seems to be twofold -

1> We are not judging the people, just the watch itself (this is a very classy way to look at it and I agree)
    2> On the merit of the watch - no, being expensive doesn't make it any more original or desirable

5. Flake

Flake Senior member

The Zenith 156 was my favorite of the ones you posted, but I have a thing for old Zenith cronos. Still don't own one yet though.

That Lemania monopulsante is tits

6. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

IMO, it all depends. If it's the 1988 Seamaster Pro, then what's the point, it's an homage. But if a watch takes a general aesthetic and puts it's own stamp on it, then it becomes something else. It's lineage may not be as impressive because it's DNA is based on another maker, but I'm okay with that.

I'm honestly not sure that our methodologies diverge that much, but our general aesthetic preferences are certainly a bit different, and that's to be expected. One thing is for certain, I will PM Dino before I make my next significant watch purchase just to have a dialogue and obtain information from a source I respect. I certainly appreciate blunt conversations and don't read anything negative in to them; frankly it's what I prefer.

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I went to Cartier today hoping to take a look at the men's Pasha rose gold, but it seems like it's been discontinued. Does anyone know anything about this? Any chance of it coming back in the future?

8. Flake

Flake Senior member

[​IMG]

Forgot how much I like this bracelet

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

^^ the panny bracelet is very cool indeed ^^

apropos - great looking vintage pics, thanks for that.

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

So the missus borrowed my 5040J today. Figured it was only right that I would borrow her 5136/1J heh heh.

Bracelet very comfortable - what you would expect from Patek of course. More substantial than the 3940 despite its case being only about 1mm larger (it's also thicker + the all-gold bracelet adds to the heft). More snug sizing for her meant a bit tight for me especially as the day wore on (I guess wrists tend to swell later in the day?) - see some of the marks on my forearm? Still, a very lovely experience with a great piece.

[​IMG]

11. in stitches

beautiful watch, but who won on that trade? i think you know. ;)

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

At least they were able to keep both in the family.

Looks great.

13. in stitches

:laugh:

Indeed

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Quote:Sorry if I misunderstood your question, but I am glad that my post answered your question. Obviously, everyone has to make a judgment call as to whether an homage is worth it to them in whatever price range they are considering. For me homages are not of interest in any price range. Best regards, Dino

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Well, all I can say is that the wife can borrow any of my watches (36-39mm case sizes in general) since our wrist sizes are almost the same.

However, I cannot borrow her 26mm "ladies" watches. I mean - I'm on the side of guys who feel like the trend towards larger case sizes is overblown, and most of my watches are actually at 36mm. But I have no desire to wear 26mm diamond-encrusted mother of pearl dial-type stuff I bought for my wife.

So in that sense she wins. But if there's one thing I picked up after 12+ years of marriage, it's this: it's good to have your wife win. Because even if you "win" an argument - ANY argument - you still somehow "lose." Nights on the couch and many such variations.

[​IMG]

It's good to have your wife win. Hehe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.