The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowbudgetsnob

lowbudgetsnob Active Member

Perhaps not the place, but how do I get this post into the Watch Appreciation Thread and not in gerneral Classic Menswear ? And the thread was added whilst at the WAT so why did it go Classic Menswear and not directly to WAT ?

jumping in with an old B & M
    lowbudgetsnob posted in this thread in Classic Menswear 3/10/13 at 7:10pm | 0 replies | 32 views
    last post
    |
    first post
    subscriptions: jumping in with an old B & M

2. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

so, we bought this at work and i want it so bad. :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I know there is a big price difference, and as Newcomer knows (so I will spare everyone the details) but the Lange 1 is a supermodel... the GO Pano is its less attractive sister.
    +1,000,000
    You know you want it....peer pressure...peer pressure. All kidding aside its a beauty! The more I see it the more I like it.
    Good thing you put them in their places! I might not have time to get there before the weekend to kick their asses and school them on the buy one Breguet get one free deal!

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I've liked that one for a while also. It might make a nice buy one get one free watch [​IMG].

I usually put a lot of time and research into any watch I buy. That way I know its something I truly want and which will be a good addition to my small collection. Its probably the reason why I rarely sell or trade watches.

6. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Not a big fan of Breguet, but the thread has definitely been on fire with them lately. It's all good. Because, diversity.

stitchy - that's an interesting one... I don't recall ever seeing an IWC with both the initials in caps, and then also the full script written out like that.

7. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

[​IMG]

Guy, need recommendation for a strap for this watch. It has fixed bars so I'm at a loss for where to get a nice strap, preferably in the US.

8. in stitches

keith - i dont know anything about it, except it was bought an torneau. will investigate next week. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

9. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

^^Cool. I love a good mystery.^^

Tough one, moo .... unless you're a ribbon/NATO strap kind of guy. Is it a standard lug width? 18mm perhaps?

There's some decent leather NATOs out there, but I'm not sure that's the look you'd be going for with that kind of piece.

Can't read the dial on that image, care to share? It almost looks like H. Moser and Cie to my lasik-corrected peepers.

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

You got it - it's an H. Moser & Cie - it belonged to both my great granpda and grandpa, and now it was handed down to me a year or two ago.

It's just a hair under 19mm, so I would say 18mm is right. I don't know if I want a Nato - I would only get a leather Nato if I went that route. I would love an alligator strap of some sort (or just a nice calf strap). But I can't seem to locate anything I like. :eek:

There are the ones here, but I don't really like them and they aren't in the US. http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-s181h175-Watch-Straps-18mm.html

Maybe this one? http://www.hirschstraps.com/CAMELGRAIN-Leather-Watch-Strap-in-HONEY-Open-Ended?keyword=open ended

11. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

So that makes it what? A Miss Delaware? A Spring Break Wet T-shirt contest winner? The girl who peaked in HS?

But in all seriousness, the GO Pano offers pretty fantastic value for an extremely attractive watch IMO. Frankly, on the moonphase, I prefer the dial layout on the GO to the Lange all else aside. I still think you are overly harsh, or at least were previously in the thread, on the GO. But I guess at the bar I was always chasing the more attainable cute friend who had borrowed her hotter friends top that night anyways. And who new that cute friend was hiding a dual swan neck regulator under her friends top.

12. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Awesome. A true heirloom then! Very cool.

Well, unfortunately, this guy isn't in the US either, but you might try a seller named "Massimiliano" over on the Vintage Rolex Forum.

He's got some nice leather and suede straps, all kinds of colors, and he can customize...I will cut and paste a little blurb here:

"There are two versions: the classic NATO and a version that I call for simplicity MODEL 1 since it has only one passage, under the watch, and makes the whole strap/watch more subtle, fresh and comfortable on the wrist.
    They are all:
    -handmade
    -made in Italy (specifically in Rome)
    -by an Italian craftsman
    -with made in Italy leather/suede
    -with made in Italy inox buckles
    For this specific reason inside every single strap you will find an small Italian flag."

Did I mention he's Italian? It's kind of funny reading all of that again..... but if you check one of his listings, his work looks pretty sharp, and even if you don't pursue it, there's some good vintage Rollie pr0n to check out there.

13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Funny - I saw one of his straps and it had a Hungarian flag ... was it a fake, or just sideways?

14. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

Moo,

A friend recommended DaLuca Straps. They offer plenty of options for 18mm watches in horween leather and shell - and MTO in case you're considering a custom alligator strap.

I've heard Lange makes an okay watch.

And since we're doing comparables, I would prefer a 99.1 to a Stowa MO (and maybe even an 1815 over a MO if you twisted my arm).

15. in stitches

moo - that i s a great piece with great history. i think it would be great with a nice lightish brown strap, similar to the one you posted, but with a more dressy shape to it. just my opinion.

when you say fixed bars, do you mean they dont even screw out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.