1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Senior member

(I never post there; perverse I know.)

2. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

While the PMWT is reserved for more affordable pieces, I don't think the opposite is true for TWAT. Despite the fact a lot of expensive watches get posted here, I always felt it was just a place to talk about watches in general, regardless of price.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. wurger

wurger Senior member

Yes, it's a master collection, looks like a 44mm dial, which is big.

I love Longines.

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

thanks for that, Keith.

5. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

nailed it. it is a 44mm. the 42 face wasnt as appealing the way the chrono sat so I opted for this size.

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I've seen some of the shoes - Wow!

7. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Ehh theres nothing that exciting in my collection... :slayer::slayer::slayer:

8. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Deets! Very nice
    That is gorgeous!

9. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

IWC Saturday. This watch, for some reason, really puts a smile on my face every time :) Much more so than my 5001, go figure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    2 people like this.
  10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Looking good! Must be cold where you are.

11. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Hod has pics of the new AP ROO LeBron James. Has anyone been a fan of the sports collaborations ROOs? I think the Messi watch was nicely done but other than that I feel they are too loud.

[​IMG]

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Hmmm... I had a Submariner and did like it a lot, but was looking for something that had a better finished movement, etc. Subs are workhorses though. Have a Patek 5711 and it is just a bit too refined for a sports watch - just too compromised. I'd rather go with a pure sports watch and a pure dress watch in the end.

Lately been admiring FP Journe's but not the subdial ones, a Chronometre Souvereign
    [​IMG]

Funny enough the watch I wear most nowadays is my Autodromo Monoposto. Just a fantastic looking watch on the cheap. Will add a pic later.

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

And on that note, remember this piece?

[​IMG]

Just sold for USD3.98 million a few hours ago. Nice.

I love this story, justinkapur. Thanks for sharing - and congratulations! That's a major investment right there, and may it bring you much joy every day!

Thanks much!

Not a fan, sorry. There's the "too loud" factor, for sure, but aesthetics and personal tastes aside I feel like AP comes out with limited editions every time one of their watchmakers farts. Which makes the point of "limited editions" kind of moot.

1 person likes this.
  14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I'm a big fan of AP, but I prefer the RO models that are based on the original design rather than the Offshores. The only Offshore that I really like is the Scuba. I think the forged carbon has some nice details, but overall its not my taste. Still cool to see some photos thanks for sharing.

If you ever found an original or interesting one? Go vintage, Red Sub, Double Red Sea Dweller, vintage GMT 1675, manual wind Daytona, original orange hand Explorer 2, and if you have really deep pockets go with a Comex Sub or Sea-Dweller, or an Exotic/Newman dial Daytona...maybe one retailed by Cartier with their signature on the dial. You want original by an early Sub or GMT, the those basically set the stage for what diving and GMT watches for decades to come would look like (even for other brands). As for the reason they don't have display backs... Everyone knows they just do a good basic finish, but that is not what their watches are about so who freakin cares. There are far too many watches with average movements, or very nice movements that were carried over from smaller cases and are too F*cking small for their current enlarged 40-44mm cases. I appreciate an exhibition back, but only on certain watches. Beyond that there are tasks for which a Rolex is ideal but that a Patek, AP, VC, Lange, JLC, or other more finely finished watches just are not suited for.

Looks great, glad everything worked out and hopefully she will get lots of wrist time.

+1

I am a big fan of AP, but their sports watches, and watches limited editions in collaboration with celebrities don't do anything for me. Generally, they start to get a bit too blingy, and as I've said before about AP, Omega, JLC and a few others they do way too many limited editions and after a while there just isn't anything special about them. What is limited about a watch that will appear 6 months from now with different colored strap and hands and will be given a new limited edition name? So while I love AP ROs, I wish AP would stop making goofy celebrity endorsing limited editions. I don't care who they (or any other brand) associate with, I never buy a watch because it has something celebrity association...I only buy the watches I like. I think it may have meant something more to see a celebrity wearing a particular watch, back when celebrities actually bought and chose the watches they wanted decades ago...but watches worn today because of an advertising/sponsorship deal mean nothing to me.
    I think for a sports watch, it merely depends on what you are going to do with it. Rolex is a good workhorse, but clearly not finished the way Pateks and other high end brands are finished, but its got a different purpose and price point. I'd never wear my RO for certain activities I've used my Explorer 2 for. Also, sometimes for very casual days, I just want a very casual sports watch.

I love that F.P, Journe, but I couldn't stomach the headaches of all the reliability issues that go with them and ridiculous repair costs.

The original is nice watch, but this one sadly is just proof of the age old idea that having money doesn't mean someone has good taste. But when Patek makes a single piece, they can basically do anything and someone will buy it at least for investment purposes.

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

So, er, congratulations? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Panerai today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Damn. Sucks to have to follow that awesome Fiddy but this is what I have on today [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

That is what keeps me from buying one as well. Journe claims he has sorted it all out and that the first batch was what gave him a bad name, and it is hard to rebuild your rep.

What he should do is put a real bloody warranty on them for repairs for like 5 years at least.

19. ktown

ktown Senior member

I'm a small-timer compared to most in this thread but here's my one and only luxury watch. I just had it serviced and re-finished by a local watchmaker. Omega charges over $500 for service and I didn't want to shell out that much.

[​IMG]

20. no frills

no frills Senior member

I am not even sure I like the original 5004 with the Arabic numerals. There is an uber-rare version with baton markers, and that works for me. Right on with the comment about someone buying single Patek runs for investment purposes though.

I bid $3.95 million but I lost out to the guy who bid $3.98 million...... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.