1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Let's see more of this watch, Flake!

Seiko Discus Burger SCBS005

Nicest Tudor I've ever seen.. yours?

Beautiful as always, NS

1 person likes this.
  2. wurger

wurger Senior member

saw a misty patch underneath my Longines Retrograde glass last night...... brought to the Longines Boutique for warranty repairs today, will be parted with it for a month. :(

I wear the watch while I wash my hands, and occasionally left it in the bathroom when I take a shower, didn't expect moisture to get in like that....

On the bright side, I am back to my Rolex Datejust and Submariner for now. :)

3. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Sorry to hear about the fogging, wurger.

That's two very solid backups, though....and surely Longines will make it right.

NS: lovin' that Heuer.

Flake: beautiful Breguet.

Travel delays always suck, but you can usually find some Maker's Mark at Pappadeaux to help pass the time :D

1 person likes this.
  4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I never received any follow-up on my end, but I am sure they have many, many, many emails to sift through.

Also, NS, that Heuer is really quite something. Deets?

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I agree with Hayward (and BTW beautiful Snowflake Sub" Hayward) that the Snowflake name really goes with certain Tudor Submariners of the 1960s and 1970s. Calling it a Snowflake distinguishes it from the non-Snowflake Tudor Subs that used "Mercedes" and "Lollipop" hour hands.

I would think people would just call the Black Bay or Pelagos by their names, as those names distinguish them from vintage Tudor Subs with Snowflake hands or Tudor Subs with Mercedes hands.

6. SBear

SBear Senior member

Decided to start wearing the watch I inherited from my grandfather 31 years ago.
    A circa 1960s-ish(?) Hamilton with original band (Speidel).
    [​IMG]

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

Posted via Jewelers on Time - a customer whose watch fell into garbage disposal. Ouch.

[​IMG]

8. Patek

Patek Senior member

Not a fan of the crown so I would recommend this treatment to all Rolex owners :nodding: I kid of course but they are wayyy over played. I hope he had insurance and he can take the money and put it into a more interesting piece.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

So sad to see that happen to a vintage GMT. Hopefully, a new crown/tube, bezel & insert, maybe acrylic crystal, and he will be back in business. He probably should have upgraded to a solid link bracelet anyway... or put it on a strap.
    Booooo , no appreciation for vintage pieces. [​IMG]

10. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

That vintage Hamilton has seen some wrist action in its life. Good to see it still appreciated.

As for the GMT in the garbage disposal, it was probably one of those accidents that leaves you wondering how it happened in the first place. Watch is on the counter 10ft away, somehow it gets hit and takes and awkward slide pass the other things on the counter to land in the disposal. Sucks none the less.

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

With regards to the GMT, I would ask why even take it off? If the watch is regularly serviced it should be watertight and easily survive a session of washing dishes.

12. no frills

no frills Senior member

[​IMG]

These two have no problems coexisting in my small family of watches, or for that matter, bathing together:

[​IMG]

Although "the crowns" acknowledge that this sister of theirs is much closer to my heart than others:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Maximus Mark

Maximus Mark Senior member

I know many WIS have something of a distaste for the AP ROO line... but hell if this ain't my favorite sports watch in the world.

44mm Forged Carbon:
    [​IMG]

14. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Not really my thing, but I do respect AP..

Enjoy it, MM.

15. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

A beast. If I were to go AP I personally would lean towards their ROO offerings.

16. apropos

apropos Senior member

vomit. everywhere.

1 person likes this.
  17. Patek

Patek Senior member

No appreciation for Rolex although if I ever find an original or interesting one I may actually own one. That has yet to happen. There is a reason they don't have display backs...

1 person likes this.
  18. apropos

apropos Senior member

TBH, i don't think you've done much looking then.

19. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

i love lamp

20. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Thanks! I have a writeup somewhere, I'll do some quick copy/paste:

The Heuer flyback chrono is usually known as the Heuer Bund, as it was issued to pilots in the (West) German Bundeswehr from the mid-60s. It features a Valjoux 230 flyback manual chrono, and was made in a large number of variations, mostly by Heuer (but they were also produced and rebranded by Sinn for a short period.) There are many excellent resources to read, google or try these:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?186871-REVIEW-Heuer-Bundeswehr-Massive-Modem-Burner

http://brown-snout.com/horology/articles/heuer_bundeswehr_chrono/

(My watch is featured way down in the last article.)

In 2007 I came across a Norwegian issued Heuer chrono on a Norwegian online markedplace. Marked "Luftforsvaret" ("Air Force"). I had never seen or heard about this before Unfortunately I was too late on the phone. The watch was sold already. I was definitely not happy that day, my girlfriend remembers me coming home swearing. Which is not my usual mood.

Over a year later, I was talking to a fellow collector, and I complained about the Heuer that slipped. "Well, I have that exact watch in my safe", was his reply. Yeah, what happened from there was to be expected. I bought the watch, and he made quite a profit :embar:

I posted what I knew about the watch on various forums, and it turns out it was not the only one. A few others surfaced during 2008, and we all did a little digging.

The Heuer "Luftforsvaret" was issued to F-104 Starfighter pilots during the 70s, and possibly others. If there existed an official contract between Heuer and The Norwegian Airforce, the details are now lost. My belief is that the buy was for a small number of watches, and a local low level initiative.

Here is my last post on another forum:

Some pictures from the 334 squadron in Bodø. The number of airspace violations from the Soviets really increased during the 70s. It was not easy sharing a border with the mighty bear when you were a small mouse (albeight in a powerful gang of friends). My watch was perhaps carried by one of there guys who performed more than 200 interception missions during the 70s, before the F-104 was replaced by the F-16.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.