The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i have never been a huge sinn, fran. they always strike me as neat, but not something i ever really had the urge to kop. no hate.

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

All tool and no flash make Newcomer a dull boy! And surprisingly, I actually prefer the white dialed brethren as well. I think Damasko does a white dialed pilot very nicely. I think I would prefer the DA36 or DA46, due to the yellow second hand though. Add a little bit of panache!

I had the same experience. Very funny! I think that my Speedy is a better executed version of what I wanted in a tool watch. There is no denying the Speedmaster's tool heritage, but it has just enough interest--the bevelled lugs, contrast of brushed and finished features, the tachymetre--to keep you interested, while still being restrained.

I completely understand. I think your tastes are similar to mine, and the German tool watches are VERY restrained. Almost painfully so at times.

I do like these though:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I love the Sinn 103 chrono, but as a Speedy Pro owner, ima sadly have to pass on it--I think you can relate Newcomer.

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

These are more to my liking.

The first one more than the second though.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thank you very much! Hope Florida treated you well! I am enjoying it right now, actually!

Oh absolutely. And unfortunately, at that price range, I really think it is in direct competition for the Speedmaster. Unfortunate because I do not think I would ever recommend the Sinn before the Speedmaster.

Yeah, the second one is a bit of an odd ball. I would not mind picking up a Sinn 356 Flieger, but once again, I think I could become bored with it. The acrylic is very cool though, and I think it would be fun on a black NATO as just the ultimate tool watch. It is a nice alternative to the IWC fliegerchrono.

6. in stitches

i think our tastes are indeed similar.

see, i like those 2, but i dont think there is enough about them that makes me say, yes, i want THAT! they often seem, as you said, too restrained, and they sometimes look like a sinn version of another watch. again, no hate to sinn, they just dont grab me.

7. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Sinn has put themselves in a never consider price range for me. The ones that interest me, there are much better options for not much more. And for the rest, I think there are better value watches out there. But there are plenty people who love them, and who am I to argue with personal attachments.

8. in stitches

agree fully.

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

So I visited Michael Safdie's shop today, partly because it was conveniently located around the corner from my tailor:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/video-introducing-madison-fine-time-new-yorks

Very fine collection of rare pieces. I even got to handle a 5004, check out a 5970 with a 5004 dial, view a 3970P with a very rare black dial with silver baton markers. Before I came Michael was on the phone with a collector who was paying north of $300K for a 2499. While I was there, as if on cue, the president of Patek Philippe USA walked in as he "was just passing by the neighborhood and wanted to say hello."

Very passionate gentleman and certainly an impressive collection. Highly recommended as a stop in NYC for watch collectors who want to check out some very rare Pateks. I think it says something about my extreme satisfaction with my recent 3970J purchase that I wasn't tempted to get any other piece while I was there. Either that, or my rather slim bank account. [​IMG]

10. apropos

apropos Senior member

^ I saw that video when it first came out, and was absolutely blown away.

Now to start digging for oil in my backyard. Wish me luck.

11. davidel

davidel Member

This is my Breitling Superocean, it is a limited edition, 1.000 pieces
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013

12. in stitches

ill have to stop by next time im in the area. looks amazing.
    --

nvm

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

13. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Yes.

Who would put lume on a dress watch? Timex?

14. in stitches

plenty of high end dress watches have little green lume dots on the hour markers iirc, and on the hands. ill have another look see.

15. in stitches

welp, it seems either things have changed, or i am retarded. i could have sworn that a bunch of dressier luxury watched used small green lume dots. i guess i am misremembering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.