The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Dear Mimo,

Thank you for your kind words yet again and for your faith in my passion and my endeavour. My watches are a passion project of mine and therefore one with which I regard with great personal pride. I hold and will always hold my watches to the highest possible standard that is attainable.

I believe in this so much that I am doing something unprecedented and offering a discretionary lifetime warranty, meaning that I will guarantee my watches for life, in all reasonable circumstances and usage. This is something that you will never find in watches costing 100 times that of mine. Among my collection of vintage watches, I have about a hundred Chinese watches that have survived for 30-50 years, proof of how well they were made. I sincerely believe that my watches will perservere likewise, and will hold them to the same standard. I hope that they will be passed on to the generations that succeed us.

I very much like the porcelain example as well. I think that I can source better quality porcelain and celadon than the watch makers themselves, given my other passion in tea and teaware, so the ones that I will source and supply them to use in future will be of unsurpassed quality. You can be assured that in the near future there will be a CELADON watch with an actual celadon dial, truly a world first.

2. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Dear DLJr,

Thank you for your PMs and your interest, I think that the midnight blue resonates especially well within the sartorial community. It is unique and very subtle and elegant and can be very versatile as a dark shade, but not as sobre as black.

Will reply to your PMs in detail soon.

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

That is sweet! Last year I parted with this classic from 1964 - I still kind of miss it:

[​IMG]

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

aprorpos, you have correctly identified self-delusion, but incorrectly identified its source. Everyone needs a cause and I wish you the very best of luck with yours.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  5. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

That. Is. Awesome.

Damn, mang.

6. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I already tried to buy that one, but he promptly refunded me because my order was from outside the UK. :laugh:

Emailed him to see if I can PayPal him to cover international shipping. We'll see what he comes back with.

7. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

That is sweet! Last year I parted with this classic from 1964 - I still kind of miss it: [​IMG] [/quote]
    Thanks -- it took me a while to find one that hadn't been refinished or "improved". And that Day Date looks great. On the downside, getting the watch you have been wanting is like marrying your mistress. You create a vacancy.:devil:

8. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

Is this the location of SPECTRE's new base?

[​IMG]

(Great looking watch, BTW).

9. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

I would suggest you end this line of inquiry, sir.

[​IMG]

10. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Another shot of the Reverso 1931, this time with a proper camera...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  11. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

And one of my favourites, a vintage Vacheron ultra-thin from 1962. I bought it from the original owner's son who told me how his dad wore it all his life everyday for 50 years. To add to that, the original owner shares the same first name as me.

Came with its original box, gold buckle and hang tag. I compared it to the modern re-issue Historiques 1955, and the vintage original is clearly built better on several levels. Dont we all pine for the pre-conglomerate V&C years...

Movement is the sublime cal 1003, the thinnest reliable mechanical movement ever made.

[​IMG]

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:laugh: awesome!
    holy moly that is awesome.
    :( Allez Allez - missed you on the multi-quote, great looking rolex!
    please to x-post in WAYWRN

13. apropos

apropos Senior member

That may very well be so! :) Anyhow, all the best with whatever watches you purchase, and may you wear them always in good health. :satisfied:

That's quite nice, and quite discreet. Case size 33-34mm?

14. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I would disagree with you here, and though I can see where you're coming from I don't think that if a person can't afford a Rolex for example, then he automatically should not be allowed to buy a MkII because it's a Rolex homage. Maybe he likes the styling and the MKII presses all his buttons at his price point. It's not a Rolex, it's a MKII. No one will argue that it hasn't copied many of the design elements from the Submariner.

Some will never have enough or will never want to pay enough for a Rolex, but that shouldn't keep them from buying other watches that they like and want and can afford.

I agree with everyone on the fake Rolexes out there though, that is something entirely different IMO.

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.