The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

lookin good, moo. :slayer:

2. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

+100. I need more monies so I don't have to decide between JLC models.

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Terrific wrist shot of that Speedy, Moo.

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Thanks guys!

Still amazed at the iPhone's camera :inlove:

5. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Also: nice jacket, Moo.

6. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Can anyone recommend a web shop with a decent selection of 18mm NATO or ZULU straps that ships to the US? I tried Gnomon and Strapcode (and maybe something called cheapnatostraps?), but they mostly have 20 and 22mm straps. I've found a couple of European sites with straps that would work, but they don't ship to the US.

I'm trying to find something in Swedish flag colors. I picked up this one from Amazon, but the blue is too dark - almost black under fluorescent lights - and the yellow is too bright, almost verging on neon; I'm looking for something closer to a medium blue and gold. I also prefer matte hardware, but that's probably being too picky.

[​IMG]

Ok, I'll stop clogging this thread with noob questions about my plebe watch now. :embar:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

In theory an interesting point. However, I highly doubt Lange would go belly up, especially since they are a part of Richemont, and in the eyes of some it crown jewel. Thats being said, some of their movements have been in production for quite a while also. The movement for the Lange 1 has been in production for more than 20 years, the Lange 1 Moonphase more than 10 years, the 1815 I believe about 15 years. Some of the variations on those have not been in production as long, but I would think there is an ample supply of parts for those watches. Especially since companies under Richemont have a tradition of servicing and taking care of older watches. Companies such as Cartier will buy back, restore and service any of their watches made PRIOR to 1970, and companies like VC will service their watches no matter how old it is, and if the part is not available they will source it, or make it. A VC forum moderator got a yardsale find on a 1950's triple date (maybe also with a moonphase) and it was in rough shape. He knew it was one of a very small batch of that model made. He decided to restore it and sent it to VC in Switzerland. They did a search and contacted all of their ADs and service centers, and even old service accounts and they located a NOS original dial for that model at very old service shop IIRC in Amsterdam. I was pretty impressed that VC searched and contacted ADs and even old service accounts to find a NOS dial that was nearly 60 years old. The guy paid a pretty penny, but he said it was worth it when the watch came back to him. VC has the backing of Richemont and tracked down something from 60 years ago when production was quite small for any of the Big Three.

I could see the parts sourcing issue being a bigger problem with independents. Sure one can go with an independent that uses an ETA or Unitas as a base movement. They are good solid work horses, and parts are plentiful. However, to me its like buying an entry level BMW and then spending $30K on customizing it. Yes, its going to have unique attributes, but I'd rather buy $65,000 car thats a real $65,000 car rather than something that still has a lot of entry level BMW to it. I realize cars and watches are not always the best examples. Just explaining why at a certain price range, I would be less likely to consider an independant when there are great watches available from Lange, Patek, AP, VC, JLC, and others.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

with the proper patience, for the right applications, it can take amazing shots. do you use a camera app (i use camera+) or the stock camera?
    ---
    as to the 5 watches one maker mention, there are many many makers i would happily own up to a dozen of their pieces. i have about 50 catalogues from different makers in my closet and there are hundreds of amazing watches in those pages. i will agree with mimo that JLC does have an abundance of pieces i would be honored to have.

9. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

10. apropos

apropos Senior member

Nice speedy moo! Sapphire sandwich?

The JLC was part of a homage series to Mucha, but I must admit Manara does bring something similar yet different to the table... especially with #3, which I guess is kind of golden shower meets Klimt? :happy:

Good points, and food for thought. I still flip flop early daily about independents who refinish ebauches, and think then when taken to a certain degree, it can become something special in itself.

Try straps made by our very own Singular - a Swede too. http://www.singularstraps.se/

I agree that is a beautiful watch, but I think one of the older triple date calendars has slightly better balance, albeit in a 37mm case (see below).

Anyway, I was actually referring to The Master Ultra Thin Perpetual 39, covered here in detail: http://jlc.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-2/pi-5762088/ti-849043/s-0/

[​IMG]

Mimo, some food for thought - you can get this (discontinued) JLC SS triple date calendar for $4-5000 on the used market in just about mint condition. Add in $1000 for servicing and you have essentially a new watch.

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Nice subdials!

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Indeed. And a lot of his stuff is a lot less SFW than that.

What was wrong with it?

I believe this is what Pam calls 'Sploosh'.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Quote:Love the 1931 Tribute with that jacket and tan strap with white stitching! Just a fantastic combinations! My only issue is with the "B" shaped monogram. I can't tell if its just the photo, but in the photo at the top the indentation for the B creates kind of an uneven B (maybe thats intentional, maybe its because its part of working with an exotic skin). Until I read that it was sort of a monogram that you requested, I thought it was kind of a sloppy stitching job copying a Casa strap. Now I know its not. Overall love the watch with that strap, but I think it would look even nicer if it did not have the "monogram." Still beautiful combinations.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Duplicate

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  15. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Beautiful watch - i regret not getting the '31 tribute

May I ask who made your strap? Im looking for a replacement on my Grande Ultra Thin Speciale Italian edition

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.