The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Aw hell I just noticed the "5" is squished in the 5140 too aside from the "27." - nitpicky frilly

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Interesting. See, I actually prefer the 5140. Although I do love the 3940, the 5140 feels more balanced in regards to the north-south, and east-west orientations. I find the "north" of the 3940 to be a little bit stark and empty.

This is probably going to sound really stupid, but perhaps some numbers can help me? I feel like with the 5140, you have a "2" on the west, and a "2" on the east (with "1" being the standard unit of measurement. It is just supposed to be a proportional analysis). Additionally, with the north you have a "1" with the bigger text, and the south a "3" with the bigger moonphase. I feel like the north-south and east-west are balanced, even though the south of the dial is more occupied than the north.

As for the 3940, I will give east and west a "2," and the north maybe a ".75" and the south a "2.5."

I don't think this made any sense. But I swear in my head it sounds good. Also, I find the "busy"-ness of the moonphase in the 3940 to be a bit overwhelming in lieu of the simplicity of the other subdials.

This is, of course, picking the pickiest of nits.

3. Moloch38

Moloch38 Senior member

I'm looking to buy my wife a new watch for our anniversary and have been drawn to the MoP dials and some with diamonds on the bezel. I would prefer an automatic watch rather than a quartz in the 3-5K range. I mostly have been landing on Omega DeVilles. She has a small wrist so 22/27/32mm I think would be best. I would appreciate your suggestions/recommendations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

But you've stopped buying watches for a while, I remember that. I mean, after you bought the "endgame" watch...with a bonus extra watch for Madame. Yep. Can quite clearly see that your appetite is sated. No problem here at all. Who needs that house in the Hamptons anyway? [​IMG]

5. apropos

apropos Senior member

Hamilton jumps the shark.

[​IMG]

Yes that is not one but two ETA movements in a watch that you have to physically flip around - you only see one dial and movement back at any one time.

Cherry on top of this? It's 53mm across.

So... basically it's a Reverso that rides the short bus? I'd love to see if watch #888 is ever sold.

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I find that quite revolting. Here's something I found pretty, to take your mind off it.

[​IMG]

7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

And that's what matters the most.

Tell her congratulations, great choice.[​IMG]

8. Flake

Flake Senior member

Thanks for the eyewash Mimo

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

9. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Beat Haldimann is a one-man independent making watches mostly by hand. But I think watches is one product that does not benefit from the benchmade artisanal handmade process like suits or shoes. They benefit from tight tolerances and replaceability that can only be delivered by factory production and interchangeability.

After all, you would admire a pre-war Rolls Royce Phantom II with a coachbuilt chassis, but you wouldn't take it on a Grand Tour of the Continent. A modern Ferrari FF would be far more reliable. (Did I just call a Ferrari reliable?!)

Doesnt Omega have a central tourb as well? I think the Haldimann looks nice, but resale value and reliability and longevity of service is always the issue with independents. What's the retail price on that piece?

10. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

I like how the subdials on the 1815 echo the... erm... subdials on the other model.

:slayer:

11. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Stitches - Yes Wempe. How did you guess?

12. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Thank you. Me too!

Well it's a bespoke dial so it's going to be an enamel painting of my beloved dog. I'm doing another one with a traditional Chinese painting with calligraphy.

13. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Thank you Stitches, I agree that the movement finishing could be improved. But it's still early days. The layout of the calibre itself is very nice, so that's a good start.

14. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Would be too thin. I've been discussing using a porcelain dial with the maker, and indeed it is possible. But the porcelain would have to be of a certain thickness to hold the hands and indices.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

15. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

100 pieces per year. Black strap for 2011, Brown cordovan for 2012. Mine is the brown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.