Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

There are easily 5 Omegas I'd like to own. Heck, there are probably 5 Speedmasters I'd like to own.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

RogerP - those pics are amazing.

4. apropos

apropos Senior member

A couple of German beauties. Classic looks, perfect proportions. I'd love to have either by my side.

(warning huge photos)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The top picture has more enduring beauty and better proportions. And probably works out a lot less expensive.

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thank you Stitchy.

7. Yankez87

Yankez87 New Member

A custom made PP watch with rose gold, took 3 years to make

8. Flake

Flake Senior member

9. atticus87

atticus87 Member

Hi everyone,

I have been looking through this thread with much interest and have drawn my conclusion that many here agree that Lange watches are becoming the closest rivals to PP watches in this day. I personally have had the opportunity to have worn a few Lange's (Lange annual calendar in white gold, Lange 1 timezone, Lange 1 pink gold) and PP's (5296, 5960). While the Lange's are beautifully crafted and manufactured, specifically its movement, which possesses an almost incomparable amount of details and fineness, i continue to find Lange's to be a little too mechanical (pun intended), and missing that personal (emotional) attachment to them compared to a PP.

Putting the brand or the price tag aside, I find the current range of Lange to be superior to PP, especially when it comes to the finishing of the movement and the amount of details that goes into making a Lange movement. Comparing the price tags of both watches, the decision is straightforward - Lange is the outright winner, with the prices of equivalent models close to 50% cheaper than its PP counterpart, however when comparing the full package, i will always choose the PP ahead of the Lange, while the Lange is an excellent and excellent watch, I have seldom been drawn to stopping in my path and just admiring it on my wrist, while this urge continues to resonate whenever i have a PP on my wrist.

While this is my personal opinion, i would love to gather some feedback from you guys, am i the only one that feels this way?

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Nice!!!

I'm wearing this one.
    [​IMG]

Oops, wrong way.

[​IMG]

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

^^ :laugh: ^^

:fonz: nice

:cheers:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Here's something a little different. It's a one-off piece by Canadian watchmaker Al Jenski (Archer Watches).

[​IMG]

It features a lovely guilloche dial and elegant blued hands. I have since had a stylized capital "A" etched onto the previously blank medallion.

[​IMG]

In the vast majority of watches in this configuration, you will find the ubiquitous ETA / Unitas 6497/8 hand-wind pocket watch movement. This one does feature a re-cased pocket watch movement, but in this case it is the lovely vintage Hamilton cal. 917. The level of finish on what was, in its day, a workhorse caliber puts a great many contemporary movements in far pricier retail categories completely to shame.

[​IMG]

Al is very careful about movement regulation, so this piece runs as accurately as most of my contemporary pieces, and better than some. In any event, comfortably within chronometer specs.

At 42mm, it's on the large side for a dress watch, but here the size is determined not by fashion or trend but by the dimensions of the movement, which as you can see, quite completely fills the case. it's a welcom change from so many display-back "portholes" where there is a huge disparity between the large case and the small movement ticking away inside.

13. Flake

Flake Senior member

^^
    That's a beauty

14. Flake

Flake Senior member

Both send my pointer to the Ab position!

15. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

That is nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.