1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExhibitA

ExhibitA Senior member

RSC receives this monstrosity for a service...

[​IMG]

RSC reaction...

[​IMG]

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

:laugh:

I do wonder if they would have any legal standing in retaining your watch as recourse for buying counterfeit or creating counterfeit goods. Would be interesting to know how that would all play out.

In reality as well, I wonder what they do. Do they give you the option to take the watch back as is or do they force you to pay for the repairs and hold your watch hostage until then. Anybody here have experience with that?

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

New bezel...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Soliciting for opinions.

Which size looks better on my slim wrist?

A

[​IMG]

B

[​IMG]

C

[​IMG]

5. mimo

mimo Senior member

Moo, forgive my ignorance, what what IS that?! Awesome industrial-looking bezel anyway. Your desk knows it's been dived now!

BBDC, the last one by a mile. Steel also looks better on you than gold; more manly. Same for the black face and bracelet. But I'm a little biased about these things. Size-wise, the middle one is fine. But a bit of chunk on the RO is no bad thing, and I think the third one suits you beautifully.*

*Possibly without the diamonds.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I think that "C" looks best, as "A" looks too large and "B" might be almost a bit too small (although I think that you could get away with it).

Please, please, please tell me that you were just trying on "B" and "C" for size and that you are not considering buying a watch with a diamond-encrusted bezel.

7. bboysdontcryy

^ Thanks guys! Of course I won't be wearing watches with gauche and 'please-look'at-how-wealthy-I-am' diamonds. I'm trying them on for size before they bring in the model I'm after! :slayer:

Stupid sales assistant tried to sell me the most expensive watch (not pictured), insisting the largest watch face was right for my wrist. Bah!

8. mimo

mimo Senior member

If you did, it would still not be the campest thing worn on (or endorsed by) Styleforum.

1 person likes this.
  9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

So Moo--since this is TWAT, and we love explanations, care to describe how you came to this decision? It is quite an intriguing looking watch, and it is quite different from what is currently in your stable (if my memory serves me correctly).

10. suaviter

suaviter Senior member

Same here ... stopped by my AD two days ago, not in stock, they had gotten 1 in and it was sold immediately.

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

Hey, RogerP - thanks for this note. Didn't get a chance to reply to it but did scroll back several pages to read it again as I thought it was a well explained note about why you're thinking about the green Sub and why it may not necessarily represent good value for your money, based on the criteria you use to purchase watches.

I especially like how you put context into play here in terms of what you typically wear and how the green Sub might work its way into your overall sense of style. This is SF after all. Funny that you mentioned navy blue shoes. I fell in love with the EG Galway in navy blue and midnight suede, and it was my first pair of navy blue dress-y shoes (I do have a pair of navy blue suede shoes but I consider them more informal). Love 'em and I wear the hell out of 'em.

I know you’ve issued caveats about who you’re referring to when you write out “brand whores” and attach it to “bigger brands” or when you write about “elves” and “Kool Aid,” and I fully understand that there are nuances that are lost to anonymously posted notes over the internet. However, in your impassioned defense of GS’s merits, I fear that you lost many of us. At least to me, you came across as overly defensive, unnecessarily condescending, and guilty of coming across with the same hasty generalizations you’ve accused others of doing. We get what you’re saying – and I hope you get what we’re saying too - but as one Englishman wrote before, to me you came across as “protesting too much" - at least until you issued caveats and clarifications a few posts later (where you in effect said "oh, I was referring to the masses who just blindly buy on the basis of brand" - presumably in response to others who came forward to say "I'm a brand whore in some way or another").

Frankly, to me you came across as trying to push the GS Kool-Aid on many of us; and if we didn't buy into it, well, I guess we're brand-whores - though that was clearly not your intent.

Please take this in good spirits: we appreciate your contributions here (again, at least I do, very much so). I don't want to predict how you're going to reply to this note of mine, but I also don't want others discounting what you're saying about other subjects because of our recent lengthy discussion about GS and what it faces in the market. I hope you're not going to write "meh, I don't care about what anyone else thinks." Because being part of TWAT and our community here kind of implies that you do. Nothing wrong with that.

--- And on that note regarding GS in North America ---

I'm not sure I buy into the notion that GS can sell as much as it wants to but prefers to keep production low and sell to its loyal customer base. This to me rests on several assumptions:

1. GS prefers to sell to its loyal customer base - but why did it seek to expand to 20 other markets outside Japan in 2010? Doesn't that imply an effort to expand their customer base?

2. GS prefers to keep production low - but if they're expanding to 20 other markets, doesn't this imply some ramp-up in production figures? Or are they going to shaft their core Japanese markets to sell to the rest of the world, assuming a fixed pie?

3. GS can sell as much as it wants to - assuming their old price points? But why did it lower prices, at least in the US as far as I can tell, last July? Does that not imply that they would (a) like to sell more and/or (b) they aren't selling as much as they want given their old price points?

Again, I do not have actual numbers on production volume; nor do I have insider knowledge on their marketing strategies and business plans. To answer the questions I posed above definitively I think we'd need info on this.

Thoughts?

12. in stitches

bb - id say A or C, but you cant really say without buckling the strap on you wrist the way you would wear it. when its closed around your wrist it looks different than just hanging there.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Its not a counterfeit, if it were they confiscate it. I believe with modified watches, they give the owner the option of restoring it to its original condition and then they will service it, or they will return the watch to the owner and not service it. That is what I have heard, but I don't buy modified pieces so I have no first hand experience.

I think you could go with size A or C. A is only 39mm...which really isn't that large. If C is a few mm smaller, it may have a slightly dressier look. How many mm in diameter is C? Also remember that the thickness of the watch matters in terms of how it wears. I have a RO ultra-thin Jumbo and its the same diameter as the RO Dual Time (your option A), but its considerably thinner and so it wears very differently. Also the combination of the Jumbo being thinner and a time only piece makes it look a bit dressier than the Dual Time, while the dual time looks a bit sportier. I am presuming they did not have the watch you were interested in seeing, hence you tried these other pieces on to get an idea of size. You definitely should try on the watch you are really considering. That is the only way you will know if its the right watch for you.

1 person likes this.
  14. suaviter

suaviter Senior member

I think A and C look fine. A is not too big imo .... love the RO.

15. in stitches

here is the exact verbiage from their service paperwork:

I wonder if they force the service on you. I kinda sounds like they might.

16. bboysdontcryy

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your opinions :)

Most probably will go for a C. I've got a thing for dress watches and vintage stuff and find the large watches a little clunky on me. Maybe it's just me. Ha.

The Nautilus is quite a strong contender, and quite the icon.

Interestingly, these guys wear them small.

Argh ... choices ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. no frills

no frills Senior member

A or C for me from the pictures you presented.

Glad you clarified the no-diamonds preference... [​IMG]
    Have you tried on the 5711? I've found that it sits better/flatter on my small 6.25" wrist than the AP 15202 ST - a function of the AP's lugs, which are a bit longer/lengthier than the 5711's. This is of course just a personal preference thing.

Let us know what you end up choosing!

18. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

The Mrs. has been talking about getting a more "robust" watch for day-to-day business wear and finally settled on this one. 31mm DJ in rose gold two-tone with fluted bezel, Jubilee bracelet, rose hands and silver stick dial. I like it. More importantly, she likes it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. in stitches

20. no frills

no frills Senior member

'Grats to you and the missus! As I've written before, I quite like the fluted bezel/Jubilee strap combo on the classic DJ. The 31mm size looks perfect, and the track is a welcome little addition IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.