The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

That must be one of the nicest tourbillion's I have seen! Beutiful.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Much depends on a) the type of watch, b) your wrist size, and most importantly c) your personal aesthetic preference.

For a dress watch, 36-39 mm is my preference. For a sports watch, 40 to 44mm works for me.

That Omega Planet Ocean is gorgeous and there's not the slightest thing wrong with it so long as you like the way it looks on your wrist.

3. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

I like that GO in white.

Also check out the Panomatic Reserve - similar of course but I like the tweaks, I love a good moonphase complication but feel like the execution of it on the GO isn't as good as a Blancpain or Breguet. Still - amazing, amazing, amazing watches.

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1

5. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

+2 and nice Bond reference, mimo...."blunt instrument" LOL.

Planet Ocean is a great watch in my opinion....(not an owner)....and I assume this particular model is what, 42mm? Pretty standard for a modern diver, although I think I'm going to sit out this round of the discussion over watch sizes.

Personally from seeing what they have at the boutique, I like the bracelet heft on the PO, and I like the new bezel material. Plus I hear good things about the co-axial movement.

Get a couple more endorsements and consider yourself enabled :devil:

6. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

The only companies I can think of for me would be IWC, JLC and Panerai.

I know I know, and no - I'm not a Richemont fanboy..

7. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

+1 on PO 8500. Have had it since August, loses less than a second a day, it's insane.

8. Flake

Flake Senior member

Had a chance to pick up a lnib first gen Datograph a few years ago at a phenomenal price. I passed, as it was still quite a big investment in a single watch. I kick myself every time I think about it.

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

The model shown is the titanium version which at present only comes in the 45mm size. The steel version comes in a 42mm size, but you can't get it with that blue dial.

Another option to consider would be the Aqua Terra with the same terrific cal. 8500 movement. More versatile than the PO, it's a terrific beach-to-boardroom watch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Ooooooh...thanks for the correction.....see, once you're going up to 45.....I don't know man, that's hefty.

Looks great in pics, etc...but you definitely have to have the wrist for that.

I suppose the Ti would at least keep it lighter!

What size is that Aqua Terra? Is that one 42mm? Definitely not as sporty / tool watch-y....obviously.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Yes, the AT is 42mm. Not a dive watch, not a tool watch, but I thnk it straddles the sporty / dressy fence in the same way that, say, a Rolex Datejust II does. It is by no means delicate, and has enough water resistance for anything short of actual diving.

12. apropos

apropos Senior member

I could probably do 5 or more with JLC.

A Master Control or vintage Memovox, the new Master Calendar, the newer Master RdM, a Reverso in either the GT or UT case size (60eme, 2011 enamel time only, and Rouge) and last but not least I could definitely do a Tribute to Deep Sea.

And if the missus lets me, I'd add to that the lady Reverso, and either a vintage Duoplan (bonus points for matching red dial) or Etrier.

Now that I really think about it, JLC really does tick my emotional and intellectual boxes. Hmmm.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

RogerP That watch is awesome. My only concern is this - are you taking pictures on the hood of your car? If so, aren't you worried about scratches?!

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

It does kind of look like that, doesn't it? Well, after a good few layers of wax, anyway. It's actually the glass top of a watch display box.

15. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

I like 44-46mm watches, but if I were to buy a "dress" watch, I'd go smaller--probably not under 40, though.

As for "deep" brands, there are more than 5 IWCs that "sing" to me. I already have my top two (Aquatimer chrono on a bracelet & BI DFB), but I'd add a BP (my top choice is in the father & son set, unfortunately), a Portuguese (very hard to choose one), and a doppel. The IWC bracelet is absolutely phenomenal. Easy, comfortable, understated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.