Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:Admit it, you loved it. :)

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

A number of Pateks, and then a few Lange for me. Maybe one or two APs, and there's one JLC I currently wouldn't mind owning. I currently have the Rolex watches I want, unless I happen across a couple vintage ones that would be nice to own.

Oops, caught myself dreaming again.

3. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Lange overload

[​IMG]

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:One can go a bit crazy with Patek... 1. Calatrava for simplicity 2. World Time for THAT specific travel-related complication 3. Nautilus for sporty/dress stainless - maybe Aquanaut if you prefer the rubber strap, rumored to be incredibly comfortable 4. Perpetual/annual calendar for that classic "grandes complications" (date) look. - But even here you'll have subdivisions - classic 3940 look? Or the "closer to Calatrava" 5496 with a "cleaner" dial? Or the 5059/5159 in an officer's case with retrograding date calendar... 5. Chronographs are quite elegant too. I quite like the 5170 in yellow gold, which is rumored to be up for replacement with a white gold version in Basel this year. 6. Perpetual calendar chronographs like the 3970 for the win! By (4) and (5) you're at rather lofty price levels ranging from the mid-$30Ks to the mid-$90s, whether brand new or pre-owned... then you break six figures after that and proceed to nosebleed stratospheric price levels for minute repeaters, tourbillons, triple complications, yada yada. Can get pretty insane, but one can dream...

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

It's not just a rumor.

It's true, it's true.
    [​IMG]

6. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Been thinking about this. Yay or nay?

Might have to sell off a couple of watches and top up to buy this. It's more expensive than many of my kidneys put together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:Oh man, dddrees, as much as I hate putting on rubber I may have to make a concession for the Aquanaut...

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I know its not a favorite brand here, but I can come up with 5 Cartiers: Tortue Single Pusher Chronograph, Rotonde Day/Night, Cintree dual movements for 2 timezones, Tank XL, and maybe a Santos Dumont.

AP...I'd take a 2012 RO Jumbo, a 1972 RO Jumbo, a RO Chronograph, and one of their vintage asymetric cased watches...but I don't really reach a 5th.

Patek I'd take a Nautilus (not sure 5711 or 5712), a 5070, a Gondolo 5111, one of their vintage 1950s asymetric cased watches,...and maybe a perpetual calendar (but not sure which I'd choose).

VC I'd take a 1970s 222, a Historique Chronograph, and a Historique 1921 American, and maybe something vintage as I'm not in love with many of their current pieces...so I'm at a solid 3 unless I add the two I have.

Lange, I like the original Lange 1, the Lange 1 moonphase, and Cabaret...but thats about it for them.

JLC...The Reverso, Master Hometime, Master 8 Day Reserve...but I can't get beyoned 3

Quote:
    As you mentioned Rolex is the only one where I could see myself owning, and have owned 5 or more of their watches.

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

The rubber band hardly feels like your wearing anything anyway. Besides it goes perfectly with the dial.

This watch disappears on your wrist.

That is until you either want to determine what time it is, or you just want to stare at it for awhile.

It's just that much lighter than the 5711, and that watch is pretty light as well.

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Oh, and the PP5167 is a perfect match for these.

They're both elegant and fairly light.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:The Galways! Are these yours? Did they arrive in good condition?

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Yes they are indeed.

They arrived today, in excellent condition.

I was surprised how well they fit.

I may just have to get more shoes or boots on the 82 Last.

13. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Just to name a few...

IWC: I like them as a brand, and I own a Pilot's watch, but I don't think I could pick out FIVE of their models that truly sing to me.

Panerai: plenty of variety to be had there, but I feel like I've scratched that itch already.

BlancPain: I'd take a 50 Fathoms and one of those beautiful Villeret calendars...not much else.

Breguet: Type XX, I guess? I like the history there, but it's not one of my favorite manufactures, obviously.

Overall, I suppose it speaks more to a collecting philosophy (excuse the term)....are you looking for breadth, so to speak, across a lot of different watchmakers?... or are you looking more for depth within a single brand.

Color me broad.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

mimo - buy it. now.

~B~ - was that lange pic from wempe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.