The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

2. Luvwine

Luvwine Well-Known Member

I think casual watches can be larger than dress watches. I have a 44mm Panerai that I do not find excessive but it is a casual watch for me, even though with a change of straps I can dress it up. For a dress watch, I prefer watches that are 40mm or less and my dress watch is 38.5mm which, for me, feels about right.

3. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

1. I'm not sure one can differentiate between "dress" and "casual" watches in the larger market anymore. Most people wear what they want regardless of rules, even if they follow rules with their wardrobe. They see watches and other accessories as a way to individualize the uniform.

2. So far as size, if you can't see the "shoulders" of your watch when looking down on the top of your wrist, then the watch head is too big. That is, you should be able to see part of the strap or bracelet on either side beyond the lugs.

4. apropos

apropos Senior member

Eh, all the same to me. :p :devil:

5. hanskl

hanskl Senior member

Surely someone here has got some knowledge on Junghans?

6. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

What are you trying to find out?

http://www.junghans.de/history.html

Its a quartz, probably from the 70's. Not a lot of value here but kind of a cool looking watch. Enjoy it.

7. apropos

apropos Senior member

I'm sorry, but this thread of sort of more about mechanical watches instead of quartz ones, unless there is something special (eg ultra accuracy or hybrid mechanical-quartz movement) about the watch.

It looks like a classic example of 70s design, but its value is really mostly sentimental or in the case metal.

8. hanskl

hanskl Senior member

Thanks guys, I was not aware that this thread is mainly for mechanical watches.. I understand it would have been more valuable if it had not been a quartz, but I still holds sentimental value to me..

Is the manufacture of decent quality, taking into account its a quartz? I'm looking to replace the wrist band, any suggestions to what would look good with the watch?

Really appreciate your help!

9. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

I find this remarkable, by the way. And for Rolex, I'd probably rank them in a very similar order.

But five different models....of what other manufacturer could you possibly say the same?

I suppose Patek for myself. Gimme a Nautilus, and a Calatrava, and a World Timer, and a .....

Or perhaps for dino, he could find five Vacherons that he would truly be captivated by.

But I'd be hard-pressed to name five different models "that really do it for me" from quite a few very recognized, highly-respected brands.

Who's got a roster that's any deeper? And those are all sport models.

10. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

Junghans makes straight forward, good quality watches. If it has sentimental value, enjoy it!

The thread is not strictly about mechanical watches per se, but most members are primarily interested in mechanical watches.

11. johanm

johanm Senior member

On watch sizes, below is some quick math on wrist sizes and watch diameters, based on the assumption that a cross section of a wrist is approximately a rectangle with a 2:1 width height ratio (based on my wrist which is admittedly pretty flat):

Wrist size (top surface):

6.25" (2.08")
    6.50" (2.17")
    6.75" (2.25")
    7.00" (2.33")
    7.25" (2.42")

A 40mm watch on a 6.25" wrist is therefore proportional to:

- 41.7mm on a 6.5" wrist
    - 43.3mm on a 6.75" wrist
    - 44.8mm on a 7" wrist
    - 46.5mm on a 7.25" wrist

Obviously there is more to whether a watch is too big than the % of wrist surface occupied by the case (e.g., wearer's height and arm length, lug length), but I'd think that any normative claim about watch sizes is worthless unless it takes into account something like the above analysis, at some level. In other words, if you're of small stature and slim wrists, don't listen to pronouncements about watch size "orthodoxy" from a tall guy with long arms and thick wrists, and vice versa.

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I tried this on today. It is 41mm but somehow doesn't look it. I just thought I share that, before I reply properly!

[​IMG]

*No, I didn't buy it. In another life...

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:Oh that is a nice piece, mimo! Check out this video with Liberace teaching Lou Ferrigno how to play the piano. Ferrigno is wearing a watch. Does it look too small on him.....?

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Interesting.

I would say that I go deeper with JLC. And Patek. Definitely Lange. Vacheron, AP, probably not. I go about five deep with Rolex. Four deep with Omega. With GO I can think of a lot that I would love.

But I thought out of the above-mentioned, Rolex is the only one where I could see myself actually owning five of their watches.

15. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

The Watch Appreciation Thread: you come for the enlightening discussion of timepieces, but you stay for the Liberace videos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.