Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mackmittonz

mackmittonz Well-Known Member

Were you unable to find a dealer who had it in stock? I though they were really rare as well but I found that there were a good number of ADs. I guess you might be suffering the wait to maintain a relationship with a good dealer...

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG]
    by davidshap7, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    by davidshap7, on Flickr

Congrats! I like the blue Tudor Sub. Very cool vintage watch enjoy it.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Quote:Its been years since my father bought a product from a Richemont owned company. However, when he buys watches he always needs a shorter strap. With Richemont it always seemed to take several weeks to several months to get a short strap for the watch. By contrast, when my Father purchased Patek's that needed shorter straps, the straps were overnighted to the AD. That was several years ago...maybe Richemont owned companies really don't care about the straps very much. I did stop into Shreves since I ws near by today. Overall nice selection of watches, but their preowned pieces have ridiculous prices. I looked at a "Red Sub"...case and bracelet polished several times, bracelet in lousy condition with a lot of stretch, glowing "pearl" missing from bezel...no box, no papers and they are asking $12,000. There is one across town in much better condition with an asking price that was several thousand less. Not buying one, but wanted to see it anyway. Oh and one of the salesmen was wearing a 1931 Reverso...very handsome watch.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Quote:Stunning watch! I've stayed out of any stores that I thought had one for fear I wouldn't be able to leave the store without taking it off. What a great watch...you have a lot of will power Cylon.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

VERY nice indeed.
    son, i am disappoint, that is a beauty. ;)
    no spoiler because the OP did not show the watch, thought if anyone did not click the link they might like to see it. cool watch. enjoy!
    plus one, they look great.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

6. Suprageex

Suprageex Member

hmm, how 'bout now?
    [​IMG]

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Well, they had one in stock, but due to finances and my own reticence I held off on the purchase (wanted to sell my MC first). By the time I got my stuff together, it had been sold. Since I had been working with a certain employee, I figured that it would be rude to jump ship when it was purely my own fault that I did not have it. I know there are other dealers with it in stock, but supposedly they do move fairly fast.

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Warning: May Contain Hornets [​IMG]

As a watch ignoramus, I need to ask a question. I suspect it might be "sensitive" to some, so all the more reason:

How big is too big? I mean, the obvious answer is "whatever you like" and "depends how it looks on the wrist", etc. But I sense there is a stronger orthodoxy than that among the real wit-stolen watch lovers. The ones who spend more than they can afford and, well, "collect", in their own words. Well, you guys no who you are. The Watch Appreciation Thread Royalty!

It seems to me that way back in the day, a man's watch was about 33-36mm. Now 36 is considered small, 33 is for girls, and something like 38-40 becoming the "moderate". Meanwhile 40-42 is just a bit obvious, but not excessive, and mainstream makers are offering 45+ in established models. And of course, the girls no longer wear girl watches all the time - small and medium "man" watches are now their thing.

The impression I get is that for those who have serious collections, or a decade or two of active collecting and learning, the big monsters are considered inherently bad form. Would that be fair to say? As well as all you Patek-flashing high rollers out there, I'd be interested to hear from Mr Stitch, who as both a dealer and Panerai lover, might have a different slant.

So come on, spit it out: are big watches silly, and where do you personally draw the line?

[​IMG]

(One of the reasons I ask is that I tried the above watch on yesterday, while taking my old (35mm!) Omega for repair: this felt like a real blunt instrument. It also appealed to my inbuilt affinity with excess, and didnt' look entirely stupid against my vast cow-eating body. But...is it just wrong?)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

There are plenty of watches and quite a few brands now which offer bigger watches. AP, Panerai, Zenith, IWC, and on and on and on. Rolex has been offering one of their current behemoths the Deep Sea at 44mms for awhile now, and more of their lineup has been stretched out to 42mm.

The NFL draft sports atheletes where the watch appaears to wear the athlete.

However It really does depend on the individual and their taste. Me personally I have had some fairly large size watches. A couple of Panerai 44mm, a IWC Pilot Gold 42mm, and a Breitling Navitimer. After a bit of expirmantation I discovered I like lighter smaller watches. I like to wear a lighter smaller watch even though I am 6'3". I have the AP15300 at 39mm,but most are 40mm. I like wearing my Red sub on a nato as light as that feels. Then again my PP5711 is not your average 40mm watch. Although the dial size is is 41.5mm at the ears, the case and bracelet are pretty thin just like my PP5167. Extremely light and elegant.

So on the average I like a watch which isn't that big, but something not to hard to tell the time or impossible to stare at when I wish too.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Mimo watch size is a very dangerous topic, with those that feel strongly about really large watches and those that feel strongly about moderate sized watches.

For me personally, I find the sweet spot for watch size to be 38 to 40mm. Occasionally, something that is 40-42 works and looks great. In addition, if you go to something that is square or rectangular in shape, often times you can go smaller because square and rectangular watches wear larger on the wrist than round ones do.

In the world of what I consider oversized watches, say 43+...the only design I really find appealing is the Panerai. I can accept that at 44 for the average Panerai, its size is dictated by design for diving and I believe its original use of pocket watch movements. However, 44 is where I draw the line for PAMs, I find 45+ is just kind of ridiculous. Sadly, although I like the PAM case shape, I've never found the 44mm versions to be very comfortable for me.

I frequently feel that the bulk of watches that are 42+ are larger than they need to be, simply for the sake of style. Further sometimes they are without much substance in terms of quality or movement size to justify such a case size. This often results in small movements in big cases and dates and subdials moving too far to the center of the dial. In addition, if someone is going to wear a really large watch, personally I think it should be something really special, since wearing a big watch is basicaly asking people to notice your watch because how can someone miss seeing something thats 42mm or larger and in a shiny metal case.

Lots of guys wear really big watches, and they think it looks great on them. However, I find only a small percentage of guys really have the build to carry off wearing a huge watch and have it look good on them. If someone feels great wearing an extra large watch well thats their choice, they aren't hurting me, although hopefully they have enough sense to know what they can wear and what they can't. As I believe Belligero said a few days ago often times it looks like the watch is wearing that man.

Only you know what works and looks good on you. If you are honest with yourself you will know what you like and what you can wear without looking silly.

11. Flake

Flake Senior member

I am on some extremes in my collection. My favorite watch is my 36mm very thin HW Breguet Classique. However, I own more bulky Panerai models than any other make. It all depends on my mood and the rest of my outfit. I don't view big or small as 'right' for me overall.

12. apropos

apropos Senior member

If you like it, by all means go for it. Folk are bigger nowadays than in the 1950s, and definitely better built than people in the 1930s. Wear a watch that complements your build. Personally, I would stay within 36-40mm, with occasional forays to 42mm in exceptional situations. The $$$$ watches tend to stay within a "conservative" size range because there are more people with $$$$ who are conservative than say, potential Hublot or Richard Mille buyers. What I find visually irksome is the 5'6" fellow with 6" wrists wearing a Big Pilot or that square Ball watch which looks like a cockpit instrument. Quite common nowadays. What I find mentally irksome is the 42mm watch with a big movement spacer within because the movement is a carryover from the 1960s/70s and the company took the easiest fastest cheapest way out. All style, no substance. Most irksome of all are the 42+mm watches with a generic ebauche that doesn't fit in terms of both size (too small) and shape (round movement in a square watch, c.f. aforementioned Ball).

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Ball? You mean Bell & Ross?

14. in stitches

mimo - imo, i really think it mostly has to do with your wrist size and build, and the watch design itself.

obviously this has to do with associations of the times, but when i wear anything under 36mm i feel like it gets lost on my wrist, over 44mm and my wrist is lost under the watch. i have seen guys looks enviably elegant in a 33ish mm watches and guys make 45+ mm watches look perfectly natural.

also, the design of the watch plays in as well, some watches look like they were meant to be large, others look like they need to go on a diet. regardless of the wearer. and some watches just look dumb.

basically, im pretty open minded about watch size.

15. in stitches

also, i want this so bad it hurts.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.