• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

johanm

Reaction score

I'm a big fan of the classic Speedy, but it was this most recent rendition - the Speedmaster 9300 - that finally pried open the purse strings: Likes: * LOVE the 3-in-2 layout of the subdials, with the hour and minute totalizers combined in one dial that is absolutely intuitive to read - it's just a small secondary clock tracking elapsed time. * The movement - I really dig the fact that Omega decided to pull out all the stops and design a ground-up state of the art chronograph movement. Column wheel, twin barrels, silicon hairspring / balance wheel. It is by far the most accurate timepiece I own or have ever owned. * Legibility. Like any white-on-black Speedmaster, this piece offers superb legibility - and increasingly important factor now that I'm needing reading glasses. Don't need them to tell the time on this watch. Dislikes: * Well, I sure wish it were priced like a classic Speedy. Oh, and doubling the water resitance over the standard Speedy was a welcome touch as well: Since adding this piece and a nice gold dress watch, my watch box has been slowly emptying out. I may actually get to a two or three watch rotation for the first time, pretty much, ever.
Love this watch. For my money, the best chronograph in the price range on aesthetics, build quality, and movement technology. Particularly like the domed sapphire on top and bottom, as well as the combined hour/minute register. With this and the liquid metal Planet Ocean, I think Omega is taking it to the next level (though I can't abide the hands on the PO).

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, Cyclon, I have NO doubt in my mind that you made the right choice. As beautiful as the Speedy 8500 is on RogerP, I think that the original is much more elegant on your wrist.
Fabulous combo, well done sir!!!

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The POC is a comically thick watch. Very few of its wearers manage to pull off the look, at least not nearly as well as they think they do.

Well, I tend to agree with you, but this is what I mean by what subjectively fits your eye. It's a point that has been debated as long as the big watch craze has been around - which is now long enough that it can't fairly be described as a fad. Guys who like the big / bigger / biggest watches think they look just fine, and find the 35mm vintage watches I will occasionally wear to be "comically small". Either way, someone is getting a laugh.
smile.gif

I know a guy who owns a Zenith Type XX Aeronef - about the biggest "wrist" watch I have ever personally held in hand. He wears it and pulls it off somehow. I couldn't, but props to him on a really cool and unique piece.

Shown below next to my Speedy from a Zenith event last summer:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see your 9300 Roger I agree, when I got it I loved it, but found it be even more of a sleeper since owning it. So well made and dead on accurate. Extremely comfortable on the wrist too. Thanks for the great shots as always BTW - love the Zenith. I know I couldn't pull it off, but I would love to see/handle one someday I have mine on the bracelet now which is actually quite well made.
Well, I tend to agree with you, but this is what I mean by what subjectively fits your eye. It's a point that has been debated as long as the big watch craze has been around - which is now long enough that it can't fairly be described as a fad. Guys who like the big / bigger / biggest watches think they look just fine, and find the 35mm vintage watches I will occasionally wear to be "comically small". Either way, someone is getting a laugh. :) I know a guy who owns a Zenith Type XX Aeronef - about the biggest "wrist" watch I have ever personally held in hand. He wears it and pulls it off somehow. I couldn't, but props to him on a really cool and unique piece. Shown below next to my Speedy from a Zenith event last summer:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did someone say Speedy Pro and Vass tri-color Oxford's?

Also, Cyclon, I have NO doubt in my mind that you made the right choice. As beautiful as the Speedy 8500 is on RogerP, I think that the original is much more elegant on your wrist.

:slayer: superb

What drew me to the broad arrow in the first place is the bezel and the arrow hands. Just a matter of preference really. Mine has a different movement of course.
+1

besides this being a great watch, this is a killer pic.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
One of the main reasons I absolutely love my Speedy is that I don't notice it on my wrist throughout the day. It's perfectly balanced from case to clasp, and the bracelet is perfect. YMMV, of course, but the main reason I don't wear other watches often is that they aren't nearly as comfortable as the Speedy. :satisfied:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

One of the main reasons I absolutely love my Speedy is that I don't notice it on my wrist throughout the day. It's perfectly balanced from case to clasp, and the bracelet is perfect. YMMV, of course, but the main reason I don't wear other watches often is that they aren't nearly as comfortable as the Speedy. :satisfied:

like you my good man, just like you.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I know a guy who owns a Zenith Type XX Aeronef - about the biggest "wrist" watch I have ever personally held in hand.  He wears it and pulls it off somehow.  I couldn't, but props to him on a really cool and unique piece.

Is his name flavor flav?

NonServiam

Reaction score
Love Speedmasters!

For some reason, the only one who has found a way into my collection is a Mk II, the awkward 70s cousin in the Speedy family. Dated, but I quite like it. Hefty on a mesh.

Klokkebilder577-1.jpg

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

http://www.mywatchmaker.net/watchmakertools.htm

"springbar tool" is what you need my friend

You can buy it from anywhere of course, but thats where I bought mine

(i'm not sure if this model has fixed springbars though)

+1 to this. The bergeon tool is the bees knees. Do not cheap out and get the less expensive springbar tools, you will regret it later!

Whelp, I managed to get the springbars off without scratching the lugs. I hadn't seen Newcomer's post when I ordered, so I just got a cheap one of Amazon.

Now I can't figure out how to get them back in. :embar:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads