The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Going black today.
    [​IMG]

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I did that. Never went back.

Nice watch. :)

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

LOL...glad I could help!
    The automatic Speedmaster isn't a bad watch, just not a watch I care for. Yes a date function is something people have complained about for years on Speedy Pros and Daytonas. Many designs are a compromise, but I don't really like when a classic design is altered just to give it greater mass market appeal. Sure it happens with plenty of watches, but it annoys me. The Automatic Speedmaster certainly has practical aspects designed to appeal to a larger audience, its an automatic so you don't have to manually wind it each day and it gives a date function. But IMHO the Speedy Pro and Daytona are are beautiful designs as they are. I greatly prefer the 3,6,9 "Tri Compax" subdial lay out over the Valjoux 7750 6,9, and 12 Subdial layout (In addition I'd rather have the Speedy Pro movement over something based on a Val 7750). I find the 3,6,9 subdial layout more harmonious and attractive. I just find the Auto Speedmaster a bit unbalanced in terms of design, and to me the Speedy Pro is the classic. The Auto Speedmaster is a good watch but for me its just lacking in terms of appeal.

Hopefully, the 5040 isn't punishing you for its lack of wrist time since the 3970 came home. Just kidding, hopefully you were a little off when you set it and all will be well.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir.

It's the most comfortable watch I have ever worn.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i see what you did there.jpeg

6. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

LOL @ mimo.

Dude cracks me up.

I can definitely see the appeal of this.

And just to keep the pr0n going, here's a snap from yesterday.

This one's "my first real automatic watch".... still gets regular wrist time...

[​IMG]

7. in stitches

^^ he is a funny dude. nice looking seamaster ^^

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

It compensates for my lack of watches. +1 on the Seamaster; I was ogling something similar recently. I like how blue works with SS, in almost any watch, and I also like how so many Omegas have display backs - not many others in that price range that I have seen about.

(P.S. The "never went back" thing is also true...)

9. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

What drew me to the broad arrow in the first place is the bezel and the arrow hands. Just a matter of preference really. Mine has a different movement of course.

[​IMG]

+1

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I'm a big fan of the classic Speedy, but it was this most recent rendition - the Speedmaster 9300 - that finally pried open the purse strings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

* LOVE the 3-in-2 layout of the subdials, with the hour and minute totalizers combined in one dial that is absolutely intuitive to read - it's just a small secondary clock tracking elapsed time.
    * The movement - I really dig the fact that Omega decided to pull out all the stops and design a ground-up state of the art chronograph movement. Column wheel, twin barrels, silicon hairspring / balance wheel. It is by far the most accurate timepiece I own or have ever owned.
    * Legibility. Like any white-on-black Speedmaster, this piece offers superb legibility - and increasingly important factor now that I'm needing reading glasses. Don't need them to tell the time on this watch.

Dislikes:
    * Well, I sure wish it were priced like a classic Speedy.

Oh, and doubling the water resitance over the standard Speedy was a welcome touch as well:

[​IMG]

Since adding this piece and a nice gold dress watch, my watch box has been slowly emptying out. I may actually get to a two or three watch rotation for the first time, pretty much, ever.

11. in stitches

^^ i really do like that ^^

i never doubted you for a moment.

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

+ There are no questionable claims about space travel engraved in it. This is considerable food for thought.

All this win and three-colour Vass spectator oxfords. You're a man to be reckoned with.

(Stitch: [​IMG])

13. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

It truly is a beautiful watch. I tried it on a few times at my local Omega boutique. The movement/caseback is phenomenal. Theres something about how the rotor spins that really caught my eye--though i cannot describe it...some sort of hesitation and flow that is mesmerizing. My only problem with it, is that it sits too big on my skinny wrists [​IMG]

That's more of a personal preference of course, but it was more the case height that got to me. Unfortunately this shot doesn't show it:

[​IMG]

Looks much better on your wrist tho--thanks for the great shots too!

P.S.

Thanks mimo for your kind words!

And Keith T: go for the 3572 hesalite front and sapphire back!! [​IMG]

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Thanks Cylon. You can't beat manual-wind for a slim-fitting watch. I hear you on thickness - and diameter, for that matter. It's both a matter of wrist size, and just subjectively what fits your eye. I find that the 16mm thickness of the Speedy 9300 works just fine for me. But the 19mm (going by recollection here) of the Planet Ocean Chrono with the same movement I find to be too thick. But there are legions of happy POC owners out there.

Thanks mimo. [​IMG]

15. in stitches

cylon - for your wrist size, i think you did the right thing. and they are both excellent anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.