• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Nice pics, Cylon.

I am not a Speedy owner (yet!) but would also be in the camp for black dials only. Haven't decided on sapphire sandwich vs. 3570.50. (Or vintage? hmmmm...)

Omega has done plenty of different versions over the years, and there's probably one for everybody.

Hayward: Sorry to hear your ownership experience was less than ideal.

Cylon

Reaction score

thanks guys for the kind words. here it is on the wrist--looks more brown than the pix above. looking to get some nato straps as well ASAP.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See, a hitherto unforeseen benefit to purchasing boutique-only models with are tracked a lot better by the manufacture! I can only imagine how I would be SOL had this been a watch originally purchased from an AD...
eek.gif
Glad to hear that everything worked out for you! That would have made me a bit crazy until things were resolved.
drool.gif

we just got in this one at work, it if were a black face id be tempted.

Nah...even with a black dial its still not a Speedy Pro.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah...even with a black dial its still not a Speedy Pro.

My workmate has this model and there's something "different" about it most certainly. Doesn't mean it's "off" - I quite like how it looked on his wrist - it's just... not a Speedy Pro. Is it the date? And yet others have wished that the Speedy Pro would come with a date...

Wearing this one today, finally rotated "away" from the 3970 for a while. Something off with the 5040's moonphase (it's supposed to be a full moon tonight). Will have to check what's going on tonight.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

myk7000

Reaction score
Those speedies are beautiful. I had one several years ago, and I miss it very much.

Unfortunately, I won't be getting one again anytime soon, as my planet ocean co axial just died on me after 3 years. Seems a bit early... Anyhow, goodbye $500.

kungapa

Reaction score

Some of may have noticed that I tried a Speedmaster a while back.

This turned out to be a failure. Omega strap a bit skimpy, arrow hands make subdials unreadable at certain times, and the movement kept dying. Fortunately the seller stood up and took it back.

I would still like a Speedy, this time a professional, but am rather turned off by the inscription on the case back.

Was this one of the reduced speedy's? 3510.50?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. Keep them coming!

Kap - by unnecessary stitching details, I mean that I don't like contrast stitching (for this application) and would even prefer none/minimal stitching (this means that the strap would have to be unlined). Like so, from Leffot:

It doesn't seem that Leffot's straps garner 100% favorable reviews... so I am hoping there are other suggestions!

Oh, so you're after an unlined cordovan strap.

For cordovan straps in that style, aside from Leffot:

- Kent Wang
- European Watch Company
- Time Traveler Co (Australia based)
- Hodinkee (for a similar look in non-cordovan leathers)

Good luck.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. Keep them coming!

Kap - by unnecessary stitching details, I mean that I don't like contrast stitching (for this application) and would even prefer none/minimal stitching (this means that the strap would have to be unlined). Like so, from Leffot:

It doesn't seem that Leffot's straps garner 100% favorable reviews... so I am hoping there are other suggestions!

Oh, so you're after an unlined cordovan strap.

For cordovan straps in that style, aside from Leffot:

- Kent Wang
- European Watch Company
- Time Traveler Co (Australia based)
- Hodinkee (for a similar look in non-cordovan leathers)

Good luck.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score

thanks guys for the kind words. here it is on the wrist--looks more brown than the pix above. looking to get some nato straps as well ASAP.

Smart, attractive, versatile real world watch in my humble and ignorant opinion. Congratulations. :)

Funny thing is, my definition of "real world" is now about forty times as expensive as it was a year ago.

Yeah. Thanks a bunch "StyleForum". F***ers.
patch[1].gif

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is true. crisis averted lol.
LOL...glad I could help!
My workmate has this model and there's something "different" about it most certainly. Doesn't mean it's "off" - I quite like how it looked on his wrist - it's just... not a Speedy Pro. Is it the date? And yet others have wished that the Speedy Pro would come with a date...

Wearing this one today, finally rotated "away" from the 3970 for a while. Something off with the 5040's moonphase (it's supposed to be a full moon tonight). Will have to check what's going on tonight.

The automatic Speedmaster isn't a bad watch, just not a watch I care for. Yes a date function is something people have complained about for years on Speedy Pros and Daytonas. Many designs are a compromise, but I don't really like when a classic design is altered just to give it greater mass market appeal. Sure it happens with plenty of watches, but it annoys me. The Automatic Speedmaster certainly has practical aspects designed to appeal to a larger audience, its an automatic so you don't have to manually wind it each day and it gives a date function. But IMHO the Speedy Pro and Daytona are are beautiful designs as they are. I greatly prefer the 3,6,9 "Tri Compax" subdial lay out over the Valjoux 7750 6,9, and 12 Subdial layout (In addition I'd rather have the Speedy Pro movement over something based on a Val 7750). I find the 3,6,9 subdial layout more harmonious and attractive. I just find the Auto Speedmaster a bit unbalanced in terms of design, and to me the Speedy Pro is the classic. The Auto Speedmaster is a good watch but for me its just lacking in terms of appeal.

Hopefully, the 5040 isn't punishing you for its lack of wrist time since the 3970 came home. Just kidding, hopefully you were a little off when you set it and all will be well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads